hey UG,

I was wondering,
how can you get maximum sustain with a 'normal', just with any guitar really?
no heavy LP's or that, no special sustain pickups etc.
I love the sustain john frusciante has.
I know he only has stock pups, and I'm almost 100% certain that
he gets his sustain from pedals.
what kind of pedals do you recommend for that kind of almost endless sustain?
does he uses his boss compressor(the boss CS-3) for that?

thanks in advance,
Farether

btw: I didn't know where to post this, if it's the wrong forum please tell me where to post it.
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
One of the easiest ways I've found is, actually, probably the simplest.

Crank your amp. Get some volume going.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Lol try a delay pedal for shits and giggles.
Signature? What's a signature?

Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
the house burnt down
pics coming soon!
<.<
>,>

Quote by metalscott76
No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best theory lesson EVER!
I don't remember who said it but the real trick to getting long sustain is to play with attitude. I've found that to be true for the most part (even though using my cs-3 now and then doesn't hurt).

EDIT: I think it was Adam Jones who said the attitude thing.
ESP Custom Shop 40th Anniversary Eclipse
ESP Standard Eclipse-II
Ibanez AF85VLS
Last edited by OThugSd at Jun 17, 2008,
digitech sustain pedals are generally the best, even DFX in marshall amps (delay) kicks ass
thanks for the quick replies. I'll just try to use my compressor and some gain to create some sustain. can't crank my amp cause although I live outside the city, my neighbors(that live 200m away or so) will hear it:P
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
Improve your vibrato. Good vibrato technique will extend your sustain more than you thought possible, trust me.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Improve your vibrato. Good vibrato technique will extend your sustain more than you thought possible, trust me.

This is the first bit of real advice in this thread.

Try an E-Bow if you can get one. Infinite sustain.

http://www.ebow.com/
Quote by OThugSd
I don't remember who said it but the real trick to getting long sustain is to play with attitude. I've found that to be true for the most part (even though using my cs-3 now and then doesn't hurt).

EDIT: I think it was Adam Jones who said the attitude thing.

Yeh, it was Adam Jones. Only issue of Revolver I've ever considered buying, and it was damn worth it.

So yeah, crank the volume, develop good vibrato and play with some serious ****ing attitude.
its all about the quality of the gear.
if you have better guitars.. more sustain.. better cables, amps, pedals... everything
its just an electric circuit really.. and for that matter.. anywhere the signal goes through affects the signal in some way..
it can be the best gear in the world it will still be affected.. not as much as 1 dollar cables and 20 dollar amps of course.
thats pretty much it.

i have the boss compression sustainer, and it helps lots. but i cant use it tho because my gear isn't good enough, so it does lots of noise. and my wall plug isn't the correct one for this kind of stuff either, but i can't really explain it in english. it doesn't really matter to this topic either :P

and yes vibratto helps too

EDIT: /laugh @ attitude thingy
Quote by Avedas
This is the first bit of real advice in this thread.

Try an E-Bow if you can get one. Infinite sustain.

http://www.ebow.com/

I saw one of those the other day, it was just sitting in the place where they usually have effects and mini 4-track recorder things, I swear if I'd had the cash on me it'd be mine about now. I was quite surprised though, I thought they were out of production and had been for a while...
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.