ok, basically, im totally a newb when it comes to knowing anything about tube amps, other than that they have "tubes" in them and what not.

so..... could somebody just go into detail and explain the pluses and minuses of tube amps compared to SS amps, and how often you have to change the "tubes" out and what not, if you do at all.

just trying to broaden the knowledge of my instrument.

thanks.
As far as bass goes, tubes aren't the way to go for many people. There are relatively few all tube bass heads out there, because the demand isn't as high. Solid state is a valid choice in the bass world for its clean headroom, which is what bassists want. Also, tube heads are quite heavy compared to SS heads. For example, Ampeg's SVT weighs a good 70lbs!!!

What IS very common in the bass world is a hybrid amp. There are tubes in the pre-amp to give the warm tube tone people want, but then there is a solid state power amp to give the nice clean headroom you want. That is what a lot of high end companies do for their bass amps. It mixes the old and the new.
I think you can get a great tone for bass with SS alone, so I've never worried with tubes.

Tube amps are necessary for great electric guitar tone, but they can tend to be high maintenance (my H&K Triamp Mark I has 9 pre tubes and 4 power tubes!)
Guitar & Bass
Could someone tell me what ratio of tube to ss is thanks. ie 300 watt tube to ?ss.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
Could someone tell me what ratio of tube to ss is thanks. ie 300 watt tube to ?ss.

I believe 300 watts tube is equal to enough wattage. lol

Seriously, I know a guy with a tube SVT, and he blows the doors of his guitar players. This is a metalcore band by the way. Supposedly, the knobs accidentally got turned to ten during transport, so when he started playing people though they were going to die.
Quote by fatgoogle

300W tube is equal to approx. 900W SS
sriosly?

300W tube= 900W SS?

and....

do you have to change the tubes out in a tube amp? if so, how often.

and, would you have to change the tubes in one of the hybrid amps?
Quote by PedRoFTWkiddies
sriosly?

300W tube= 900W SS?

and....

Not really. A "tube watt" doesn't exist at all. Tube amps just sound fuller because of the mass amounts of compression that is applied. Truth is, if you had a good amount fo compression on a SS amp, you'd sound just as loud as a tube head.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
Quote by PedRoFTWkiddies
sriosly?

300W tube= 900W SS?

and....

Depending on use and how much you push your tubes, tubes can last as little as 6 months (pushed, lots of use) to several years (very little use). Every year seems to be the consensus with my guitarist friends who use tubes. But you can usually hear when your tubes are going.
Quote by IndianRockStar
I believe 300 watts tube is equal to enough wattage. lol

Seriously, I know a guy with a tube SVT, and he blows the doors of his guitar players. This is a metalcore band by the way. Supposedly, the knobs accidentally got turned to ten during transport, so when he started playing people though they were going to die.

I bet people thought they were going to die when they heard the metalcorez
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?