so ive been playing for like a year and half and sweeping is like one of the few things left i cant do,the problem for me is that when i am playing the notes bleed together somewhat when i use distortion. can anyone give me some advice? thanks
play everything very slowly
basically start learning how to sweep again

i cant sweep that well tho so i may be wrong:P
ya thats what ive been doing, but im not really going anywhere. i think maybe the problem might be my fingers linger to long after i strumm the string but i dont know
Just practice really slowly going from each note to the next. That way, when it's slow, you can see all your mistakes and correct them. Then once you have it clean, slow, with no notes ringing together, gradually speed up it up over time.
Yes, slowly with a metronome is the smartest way to do it. And also make sure that you are muting the strings after you play them. You don't want them ringing out at the same time, because then it would sound all muddy.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
mute the strings with your picking hand after you play them
Blindfold her telling her that she is going to get a surprise, then proceed to take off your pants and stick your penis in her nostrils.
Use a metrenome, play DEAD slowly, CONCENTRATE on every single movement and make sure that its all one smooth motion, get a good tone, one thats not massively distorted, but get something along the line of malmsteens or beckers. Run your picking hand (the fleshy bit of the palm) along the strings as to catch them, not mute them, muting them directly would slow you down, try just to hit them enough to stop them. and on the way up make sure that a either the same part of your hand, or a bit higher (under the pinky) catches the strings, try to make this one, circular, or continual motion.
Use very very very little distortion and your bridge pickup with lots mids on your amp. It forces you play very clean and that way if your not doing it 100% right it's going to be real obvious because you will sound like crap. Don't get caught up going super fast right off the bat because it's going to lead to bad/sloppy technique and then you will have to start all over again once you realize how awful it sounds. Start slow and work it up from there. When you get it sounding good, then you can add in the distortion and such to make it sound that much better.

Technique wise do what these other fellows said.
Quote by Down da Heezay!
so ive been playing for like a year and half and sweeping is like one of the few things left i cant do,the problem for me is that when i am playing the notes bleed together somewhat when i use distortion. can anyone give me some advice? thanks

Well make sure the actual notes aren't ringing. Also, when your finger leaves the fret - and this is only easy to hear with distortion - there will be a harmonic. you have to remember to mute them while you're doing the sweep. I do this by touching the strings with the fleshy part of my right hand.

(I'm only guessing that they're harmonics based on what they sound like. if there is a different term for them then please correct me).
Quote by SlinkyBlue
I remember when I was really young, I had a wet dream in which i was being dragged along an urban countryside by a pickup truck.

Don't ask me I have no idea how the hell it happened.

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you