Page 1 of 2
Hello,
I am new to this site and to guitar. I have been thinking to buy an Electric, I was always fascinated by them. I have been seeing many guitar packs and I think I found the right one for me, but I don't know if it is good for me. It has everything included (TUNER TOO!). The Package is called El Toro Guitar Pack . The Guitar's Brand is El Toro, the Amp is Behringer, CHROMATIC TUNER TU100, and these :

* High-quality instrument cable
* Adjustable guitar strap
* 3 picks
* Padded gig bag

Link to the page : http://www.behringer.com/EL-TORO-GUITAR-PACK/?lang=ENG

Pls anyone tell me if it is a good Beginner Guitar Pack? Also what type of music can I play with it? I prefer Rock/Hard Rock. Can it play Metal too?
well personaly if your more into hard rock/metal you might want to get something with humbuckers, but it is still do able with the single coils. And below me will be a bunch of sujestions.
Wtf just get a real guitar from a known company. You can't play metal with that thing.
Normally those guitar packs suck balls.
Sooo... you really don't have to be soo harsh he is just learning about guitars...

Price Range???
Yes, I think you enjoy an electric guitar.

They are a vast improvement from the earlier steam guitars and the more recent gas guitars.
Sorry to say this mate, but it doesn't matter what guitar pack you get, it isn't going to greatly affect how you play. Just buy whatever is in your price range that youu like the look of, some people will no doubt recommend a guitar package, but at that price it doesn't ake too much difference, you're not going to gig with it after all.

Finally, amp is the main thing for getting a certain tone, as you like rock/metal, get an amp that has crunch/distorion settings, as this will give you the sort of sound you're after. Don't expect to be shredding in a week, or to be playing like Slash/Malmsteen/Satriani. Learn a few power chords as they are what you will use most.

Good luck and enjoy!

EDIT: For people who say you can't play metal with a certain guitar, shut the **** up and look at the Lostprophets, whether you likethem or not, they played metal with single coil pick ups.
Last edited by EL2T at Jun 17, 2008,
About 150-180 euros. I am a 15yr old boy not an adult... cant do much with pocket money
Get a cheap acoustic to start with, thats whats safe, you may be interested now.. but well.. :P
Quote by EL2T

EDIT: For people who say you can't play metal with a certain guitar, shut the **** up and look at the Lostprophets, whether you likethem or not, they played metal with single coil pick ups.

really, do they use a starter amp too?

thread starter, if you can afford around $250 i suggest you buy the guitar, amp cable, and tuner separate...

$125 roland micro cube. effects, rock and metal. quality starter amp.
$100-150 dean, ibanez, washburn. three guitar makers that produce pretty good fixed bridge humbucker guitars at a starter level.

$20 korg chromatic tuner
get a free cable wt purchase.

the problem wt most starter packs is the amp.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
May I recomend the Ibanez G10 Gax-30 as a starter guitar ? it has high output pickups and everything
As an amp Like JJ said The microcube

And for god's sake Don't get a marshall MG or A line 6 spider III you'l regret it later on
^^amp on the last two links arent as good/versatile as the micro cube.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

no off course not but the man is asking for a pack... so im just trying to help him out... if he wasn't asking for a pack well then micro cube it is.
Well See, just go to guitar center or something and say
'I want to start playing guitar Mostly hard rock and metal, What do you recommend?'
Are marshall MGs really that bad? I have one right now until I buy a nice amp but it seems fine.

I would also just suggest going to a guitar store and renting for a month. If you seem interested I am sure your parents will help you pay for a good beginner guitar.

I rented a ESP LTD EX-360 and a marshall MG for $35 a month and it works great for starting.
if your practicing in your room the mg isn't bad (as bad as everyone makes them out to be but never gig with one... its for the saftey of your listeners.
I suggest you look on ebay for a yamaha pacifica 112 and a roland micro cube
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
no off course not but the man is asking for a pack... so im just trying to help him out... if he wasn't asking for a pack well then micro cube it is.

so if you have that info in ur head. tell him about it.

there's no advantage to buying it as a set. it's just marketing.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Yeah... $250 USD is supposed to be 160 euros but in Malta (a small island under Italy) the guitars cost very much compared to other countries!!! The Squire Starter Pack contempt suggested is $250 (160 euros) from where he comes from but from Malta it is $340 (220 euros).
if you are saying you have $250 = USD, then you can probably get a micro cube and a $100 dean.

korg tuners are about $20.

so you should still be around budget, with a much better better rig to show for it.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
if you are saying you have $250 = USD, then you can probably get a micro cube and a $100 dean.

korg tuners are about $20.

so you should still be around budget, with a much better better rig to show for it.

Yeah well... I don't know... but I think at Malta the prices are much higher! A $250 guitar would cost $340!!!
there is an advantage to buying as set everything is all in one you can buy it go home and start learning.

In the long run no matter what pack or amp this is what i like to say about buying a new guitar.

Go into a music store and look for the "cumability factor" buy the guitar that looks the best so everytime you see it you can fingure the crap outa it.

and then a year later with more musical sence you can realise it sucks and your need a better guitar... but for the mean time its all about "cumability factor"
Quote by jj1565

At the risk of turning this into a slagging battle, I was merely pointiig out (probably too aggressively) that what pick-ups you have on a beginner guitar don't matter. Particularly if you plan on using it to gig with.

I will grant you that LP have a slightly better amp, I'm just pissed off with people slamming a guitar for a particular style, its how you play rather than what you play that really counts.
ok, just saying that over here a cheap squier strat pack (similar to what you're looking at) is about $200 usd.

also here a micro cube and a fixed bridge starter guitar is about $225 usd.

so if you can get them separate, even if slightly higher. it would be worth it in quality.

^edit: in rereading ur whole post i see that. no problem. i thought you were saying something else.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Yeah I don't need a professional one... I am just going to stay at home and go to a tutor a few times a week! The most important thing is that it has to be playable and has good sound for beginners!
Do you have a music store near you? If you do, then they will have their own starter packs and will probably let you swap guitars/amps in it (this will slightly affect price but you still get nice extras!)
He isn't talking about a professional guitar, a $100 guitar like jj1565 is talking about isn't professional, its very basic. Its fine to start but you should eventually buy a better guitar. The amp isn't going to sound like you want it to, but you can eventually replace that.
Yeah well... I'll try to find something maybe my 22yr old cousin can help me. He plays Electric Guitar and also plays Metal. Maybe I can go practice in his place and use his amps if I don't like the package's amp. Thanks for all the replies till now! 29 replies is no joke!
Quote by jj1565

thread starter, if you can afford around $250 i suggest you buy the guitar, amp cable, and tuner separate...

$125 roland micro cube. effects, rock and metal. quality starter amp.
$100-150 dean, ibanez, washburn. three guitar makers that produce pretty good fixed bridge humbucker guitars at a starter level.

$20 korg chromatic tuner
get a free cable wt purchase.

the problem wt most starter packs is the amp.

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I forget the pack, but I remember Epiphone selling a G310 and a Valve Jr for somewhere in the neighborhood of 200-300 dollars.

Bit steep, but the Valve Jr is a great little amp.

Really depends on what you're after, I'm fairly sure Ibanez makes a beginner pack geared towards the heavy metal crowd.
Quote by Wolfboy6
The Amp is the only thing that is worrying me...

why?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Have you tried looking on MaltaPark for a second hand guitar?
1979 Granada Les Paul
1983 Lado Flying V
2006 Fender Stratocaster
2007 Tenson Classical
2008 Epiphone Les Paul
2008 Yamaha Pacifica
2010 Gibson Les Paul Studio
2011 Dean Z 79 Series
2011 Ibanez 12 String Acoustic
2012 Messina Classical
Quote by lwayneio
I suggest you look on ebay for a yamaha pacifica 112 and a roland micro cube

+1234567890

Superb guitar for the money, the cubes good for practice too.
Get as far away as possible from beginner packs. I repeat, get as far away as possible from beginner packs.
Go to the store try one of these and you will know why.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Well... I going to go to a shop 2 days more and going to try some guitars and see what can I buy. I am thinking Squier by Fender Stop Dreaming, Start Playing Affinity Special Strat Pack With Fender Frontman 15G Amp, but I may find some second-hand gear or buy things separetaly. Squier by Fender pack : http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-by-Fender-Stop-Dreaming--Start-Playing-Affinity-Special-Strat-Pack-With-Fender-Frontman-15G-Amp-104487442-i1175988.gc?mode=1
Quote by Wolfboy6
Well... I going to go to a shop 2 days more and going to try some guitars and see what can I buy. I am thinking Squier by Fender Stop Dreaming, Start Playing Affinity Special Strat Pack With Fender Frontman 15G Amp, but I may find some second-hand gear or buy things separetaly. Squier by Fender pack : http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-by-Fender-Stop-Dreaming--Start-Playing-Affinity-Special-Strat-Pack-With-Fender-Frontman-15G-Amp-104487442-i1175988.gc?mode=1

If you can go in a different direction with the amp, I would advise you do.
Page 1 of 2