I have to write a poem for some competition I didn't want to do, but I don't have a clue what to write about, so any ideas would come in handy, also maybe a few tips as I'm a 'n00b' at poems, thanks
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
Talk about the emotions you feel when you have to do things you dont want to do, i.e. enter pissy little competitions, talking about burning the judges at the stake if they do not comply
Pick a story out of the news, or go watch people for half an hour and try to imagine what someone's life is like. Write about a place. Write about a photograph. Those are pretty typical BS poetry writing excercises.

Throw some slant rhyme in there, and you'll be a stud.
Write about something really trivial in some complicated way. Like a mock epic, not that long though.
Quote by Jackal58
Nothing is stranger than being anonymous.
write about what interests you.
originality is zenith.
There's a road that leads to the end of all suffering. You should take it.

- Jericho Caine

secret, aaaaagent maaan.
secret, aaaaagent maaan.
I was thinking about writing about WW1 but I'm not sure how'd I'd do
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
Remember that you don't have to rhyme in poetry.

A lot of potentially good poems are ruined because the writers struggle with words to rhyme with, and end up talking a lot of crap.

Edit: Oh, and metaphors and imagery are your friends. Especially when dealing with a subject like WWI, it can be extremely effective to use imagery and metaphor. Don't just talk about facts. Maybe write from a character's perspective? A soldier, or a widow, or a lost child?
Last edited by _deeperthewound at Jun 17, 2008,
Try not to give it a forced rhyme if you're making it rhyme.
Use metaphorical language.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt