Page 1 of 2
Ok so I'm a guitarist but I was given a brand new rickenbacker 4003 jetglo bass as a graduation present (I know, it makes no sense but super rich uncle forgot I played guitar and not bass) Ironically it was the most expensive present I've ever been given.

My question is since it's brand new, how much should I sell it for on ebay/craigslist

it's a beautiful bass but I'm wondering how good they are and whether Rickenbacker basses are fairly popular among bassists.

I debated trying to trade it in at guitar center but i know they give almost nothing for trade ins.

Here's the bass I have
http://www.rickenbacker.com/model.asp?model=4003
Quote by AluminumOxide
Cobain killed himself before he learned to play guitar.

Gibson SG Special
Schecter C1-Plus
Last edited by Rufiothebandito at Jun 17, 2008,
brand new, at least 1000 of whatever currency you have
unless it's yen, then it should be a fair amount more
Rockin' shit
Nothing. Send it to me, I'll cover postage.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Why not just learn bass? It helps to know multiple instruments and you have one of the best basses out there.
Yeah, the problem is, this uncle lives way the hell on the other side of the country and I'd feel bad asking him to mail me the receipt which I doubt he still has. I don't even know where he bought it.

So $1,000 is how much I should sell it for? It's in a hardshell rickenbacker case as well.

plus, I have no intention of learning bass, let alone an expensive one like this
(I already play guitar and drums)
Quote by AluminumOxide

Gibson SG Special
Schecter C1-Plus
Quote by Lambofgodrulz
learn frickin bass don't sell it. it's too beautiful

qft
Agile Septor Elite 7-String
ESP H-1007
ESP H-1001
Peavey 5150
Mesa Boogie Cab

Recording Gear -
PreSonus FireStudio Interface
CX5 Studio Monitors
If you do it sell it you could easily get more than a thousand bucks for it, prolly closer (if not more than), to $2000.

It's brand new, you have a hard case, and people would kill to get a ric without the two year wait.
Quote by Rufiothebandito
Yeah, the problem is, this uncle lives way the hell on the other side of the country and I'd feel bad asking him to mail me the receipt which I doubt he still has. I don't even know where he bought it.

So $1,000 is how much I should sell it for? It's in a hardshell rickenbacker case as well.

plus, I have no intention of learning bass, let alone an expensive one like this
(I already play guitar and drums)

So basically you are willing to throw away money due to an honest mistake? Call your uncle, thank him for the gift but tell him he made an honest mistake, and ask if you can have the receipt so you can trade it for a guitar or get the money spent outright. It's not going to make him cry or anything.
Hmmm,so an uncle has ordered you a rick, since you can rarely go out and buy these as far as I know, and a hardshell case, spending around 2-3000 bucks on you, and you wanna get rid of it...

You say you play drums, playing bass will help you improve on that,as the two together make a ryhtm section, on the other hand, this means you need a bass amp,and a good one to do justice to the rick, so I can see why you want rid, but damn, a free four figure priced high quality bass, Im totally jealous, and doubt im the only one

I guess the best idea is sell that thing, and its worth a lot, brand new,unplayed with case...a LOT

and use the money to buy a really nice guitar, maybe your dream guitar? and contact your uncle and tell him what you've done, Im sure he'll be happy with that, or you could just give it to me for giving you such great advice...yeah that idea's waaay better
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Quote by Captain Insano
If you do it sell it you could easily get more than a thousand bucks for it, prolly closer (if not more than), to $2000.

It's brand new, you have a hard case, and people would kill to get a ric without the two year wait.

Shweet, 2 grand is unbelievable, what do you mean 2 year wait by the way?
Is that just for custom Rickenbackers? Cause I have noticed not a lot of places carry rick basses but a 2 year wait is hard to believe.

As for calling him and asking for the receipt, I do get that but if I can sell it for 2 grand I have no problem just doing that and selling it myself. Plus since guitar center doesnt carry Rick basses, he had to have bought it online which would involve a lot of waiting and shipping.

I should also mention if I can get 2 grand for this bass, I'll be buying two CDJ's Stanton C 324's (cd/mp3 vinyl emulation turntables) and possibly a new computer. So I'm more excited for the latter.

Believe me, I understand how nice the bass is and how lucky I am to have it but if I can turn it into 3 awesome purchases instead of one that I don't have a lot of interest in, then it's worth it.
Quote by AluminumOxide

Gibson SG Special
Schecter C1-Plus
Last edited by Rufiothebandito at Jun 17, 2008,
As far as I know there is a long waiting period for any rick, since you have to order direct, or the website you buy off does for you...I dunno, Im not a huge fan of the look,and wudnt like to try slapping on it, but the tone you can get is amazing, and the look is slowly growing on me I have to say, maybe the tones just bribing me...
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Quote by Rufiothebandito
Shweet, 2 grand is unbelievable, what do you mean 2 year wait by the way?
Is that just for custom Rickenbackers? Cause I have noticed not a lot of places carry rick basses but a 2 year wait is hard to believe.

Rickenbacker only makes relatively few basses in a year, because they are of the highest quality. If you ordered one now, you would be put on the waiting lisit, and you would recieve your new bass in about two years.
I'm sorry but you just don't sell a Rick on E-Bay.
Either try and get a receipt for a full refund and get a high end fender/gibson/ibanez or whatever guitar you desire or simply keep it. As a bassist i would obviously vote the last but even as a guitarist i would keep the rick. You would be adored by any bassist for having it and since you play bith guitar and drum learning bass would be fairly easy. You know rhythm and you know a stringed instrument. (yes bass is different from guitar i know that very well).

My final vote is keep it or send it to me i will also cover package to here
No serious keep it.
To Be is to Do -Socrates-
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
Keep it. If nothing else you will have an amazing bass which will only increase in value over the years. Right now that means nada, but believe me later on you'll thank me.

And yes, the waiting list on those are 2 - 3 months now. Your uncle is incredibly generous and maybe this is the sign from above you should try your hand at bass.

If you must part with it, Massachusetts is much closer to CA than the Netherlands, so ignore Mescalino and send it to me instead. International shipping can get so messy with those custom forms and paperwork
i play guitar, but my dad gave me his old 4001. Y'know what i did? learnt to play bass

You have a rickenbacker. not something everyone can get. Make the most of it
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Hmm well either stare at its beauty or send it to me .
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
**** it. Ask your uncle for like 2000 more, hire a Who cover band (except for the bassist), rent like 400 Pinball machines, and learn Pinball Wizard.
I don't know how long your hair is or how awesome your mustache is so you might have to ask him for like 300 more for a good wig and fake mustache.
I like rap, feel free to use that as an argument against me.
Only thing to make this even more lush - fireglo finish.

You are an extremely lucky and spoilt man. I hope you realise I hate you.
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
Anarkee said it beautifully...

Keep it! For the love of God, keep it! I know looking all the things you can buy with the money is nice.. but oh man...

Keep it.
"I don't understand how one can kill a man in the name of peace, that's ridiculous."
- JBT
Um if this is a high school graduation then I would keep it at home with my parents. That **** would get stolen so fast at college. Just put it in a nice frame and keep it for posterity. Eventually it'll be worth in upwards of $4000 possibly. It'll be a nice family heirloom.
Where I come from, when a family member gives you something nice as hell that required some thought, you keep it for the rest of your life and be proud that you have it. You don't say "no thanks, I'd rather hock it". You do that with $5 sweatshirts that they found at the flea market, not one of the best music instruments you can get your hands on. If your uncle wanted to throw money at you, he would have just written a check. You sound spoiled and jaded in my opinion. Time to grow up, you're in the real world now, this kind of stuff doesn't continue to happen so just enjoy the damn thing already. Sure, your uncle might not cry if you called him, but if I were him, I'd be pretty disappointed, if not downright pissed. He obviously spent some effort to go above and beyond the typical graduation gift in order for you to have something truly special, and you could care less. I seriously doubt he made a mistake and thought you played bass. If you played bass and he bought a normal guitar, yeah maybe. Nobody buys nice-ass basses on accident and it would be highly insulting for you to say that.
Last edited by corndogggy at Jun 17, 2008,
Quote by corndogggy
Where I come from, when a family member gives you something nice as hell that required some thought, you keep it for the rest of your life and be proud that you have it. You don't say "no thanks, I'd rather hock it". You do that with $5 sweatshirts that they found at the flea market, not one of the best music instruments you can get your hands on. If your uncle wanted to throw money at you, he would have just written a check. You sound spoiled and jaded in my opinion. Time to grow up, you're in the real world now, this kind of stuff doesn't continue to happen so just enjoy the damn thing already. Sure, your uncle might not cry if you called him, but if I were him, I'd be pretty disappointed, if not downright pissed. He obviously spent some effort to go above and beyond the typical graduation gift in order for you to have something truly special, and you could care less. I seriously doubt he made a mistake and thought you played bass. If you played bass and he bought a normal guitar, yeah maybe. Nobody buys nice-ass basses on accident and it would be highly insulting for you to say that.

Exactly man that's what I was trying to say.
For your uncles birthday do my idea.
And **** your computer and DJ ****.
I like rap, feel free to use that as an argument against me.
you chould give it to me for free ^^ ooh, and by the way.. i'm really poor
Quote by anarkee
Keep it. If nothing else you will have an amazing bass which will only increase in value over the years. Right now that means nada, but believe me later on you'll thank me.

And yes, the waiting list on those are 2 - 3 months now. Your uncle is incredibly generous and maybe this is the sign from above you should try your hand at bass.

If you must part with it, Massachusetts is much closer to CA than the Netherlands, so ignore Mescalino and send it to me instead. International shipping can get so messy with those custom forms and paperwork

+1.
Give to her. then I can find where she lives and borrow it for a few years- I mean, hours...
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
If you sell that Ric, thosands of bassist including me who dream of one day owning one will haunt every guitar you will purchase. seriously...
'85 Fender Reissue '75 Jazz Bass ---> Ashdown MAG300h
Schecter C/SH-1 ---> Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Alot of bassists would kill for one of those. Keep it, its american made and it will be worth waaaay more in 30 years.

Member Q-Tron of the EHX Users Guild
Quote by anarkee

Its getting up to 4 months.

Also, as food for thought, I know a guy who is on year 4 for waiting for a lefty.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
You have one of the most wanted basses ever and you want to sell it? D:

Other then that, you could send it to me, i'll cover all expenses.

I WANT IT :[
TS is you explain to your uncle that he made a mistake, that you actually play guitar, I don't see any reason why he would be angry, it's not your fault you got sent an instrument you don't play, or want to learn to play. You're turning that mistake into something you really want, which I'm sure is what your uncle wants too.
He just bought you a Rickenbacker? Seriously, I'm sure there are like less than ten of those in all of New Zealand, and I doubt I'll ever even see one.
For the love of god, keep it.
Quote by telecastrmastr
if this goes in someones signature im gunna be pissed

Quote by jimithrash
what do you mean by goat
If I am a bassist and i get a Les Paul from my uncle as grad pressie I would learn to play guitar. Or I wouldn't sell it off i'd keep it. I think you should keep the Rick.

If you must sell it off. I dunno how much it costs tho. :P
haha aright, I knew the spoiled jaded stuff would come eventually, I've bought all my own instruments and prized possessions so far in life, I'm very far from being spoiled. Now if I actually wanted to learn bass (which I don't) I wouldn't start on such a glorious bass, I'd want something cheap. This isn't me trying to exploit and take for granted an extremely nice present like this.

This was a college graduation present and my uncle was incredibly generous. I decided to call him last night to thank him and explain. Upon learning I didn't play bass and after I had informed him that this was one of the nicest basses out there, he suggested immediately afterward that I should maybe try selling it and buying a nice guitar instead. I already have a guitar that I love and don't plan on switching from so I told him about the other 3 purchases I thought I could make if I sold the bass.

so there ya go, the man himself told me to go ahead and sell it without me even bringing it up first. On another level I can understand people getting pissed at my luck and being angry that I'm getting rid of such a nice bass but like I said, if I can sell this one present and get 3 that I've been trying to save up for forever instead, I'll take the latter.
Quote by AluminumOxide

Gibson SG Special
Schecter C1-Plus
This smells to me like a troll thread, to be honest. If he just wanted to find out the value of it, then he could easily search and see they're £2,160 on MF and typically go for $1700 to $2000 on Ebay depending on colour and age. But really he wanted to say "Look what I've got that you probably want but I just want to get rid of" or it's a veiled advertising thread. This is why I ignored it until now and I'm surprised anyone replied, to be honest.
Quote by smb
This smells to me like a troll thread, to be honest. If he just wanted to find out the value of it, then he could easily search and see they're £2,160 on MF and typically go for $1700 to $2000 on Ebay depending on colour and age. But really he wanted to say "Look what I've got that you probably want but I just want to get rid of" or it's a veiled advertising thread. This is why I ignored it until now and I'm surprised anyone replied, to be honest.

not a troll at all, I don't have a lot of knowledge about basses, I was trying to get more info on how sought after it was and whether selling it would be a worthy endeavor.
As for being a dick or veiled advertising, that seems a little silly, especially seeing as how I didn't exactly know what I had until this thread got so many responses but it's all good, just wanted a bassist' opinion.
Quote by AluminumOxide

Gibson SG Special
Schecter C1-Plus
Page 1 of 2