well i just turned my old 4 string into a fretless(with some good results) and i have a quick question well some of the stuff i play seems a little off at times and i was wondering were do you place ur fingers on the fret board is it right before were the fret would be or on top on were the fret would be kinda like playing slide guitar were you put the slide over the fret????
Right on top of where the fret was, but not beyond the fret.
Last edited by Sly Taco at Jun 17, 2008,
The edge of your finger should cut the string of exactly where the fret would be.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
nope.

On a correctly intonated fretless, you should be playing behind the fret line up to the 12th fret, which should be dead on, and then beyond the fret line after that. But the skill in fretless playing is to constantly listen and adjust, I feel.

Information is courtesy of Gary Willis, and it works.
Last edited by Deliriumbassist at Jun 17, 2008,
im no bassist, ive only ever played one fretleess bas for 20 mins (although for dsome reason im actually quitew good at bass) and it dint seem to matter to me, whatever sounds right to you but just stay near where =the fret would be and you should be fine, by the way whats the point of a fretless bass?
Quote by weorge
im no bassist, ive only ever played one fretleess bas for 20 mins (although for dsome reason im actually quitew good at bass) and it dint seem to matter to me, whatever sounds right to you but just stay near where =the fret would be and you should be fine, by the way whats the point of a fretless bass?

Different tone.
It's better for a jazz music and stuff, when you slide on the neck it sounds better..