Over the weekend when loading my amp n stuff, I closed the trunk on my cable. (severed it completely.) It was an old monster cable I had for several years. I don't think it's warrenty will cover it, so I'm looking for a new cable. I never had a problem with my old Monster cable, I see they still have them for $20, but I was thinking about spending the $60 for the "Bass Monster cable". Anyone have experience with the cable? How much of a difference is there?
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I thought the Monster cable was famous for it's no questions asked warranty?

This. They should replace it.

But in any case if you are getting a new cable, I have a regular Monster and a bass one. The bass one has a barely noticeable increase in bass over the standard. Is it worth $40? No. The tone is no better, just a touch more bass. Keep in mind that this is with only a low E, it may become more pronounced if you are using a low B. But for me, I'll stick with the standard cables from now on.
That's what I figured. I'm also in a band with other rowdy teens and we have tons of friends at our practices, our stuff gets used heavily, and takes a beating every now and then.
Quote by breakdown123
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
That's what I figured. I'm also in a band with other rowdy teens and we have tons of friends at our practices, our stuff gets used heavily, and takes a beating every now and then.

how the hell do you focus on practising with friends there?

At my rehersals, its just the band and our sound guy. Even then we still have troubles focusing lol.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Sometimes we just have people chillin at the drummers house, other times they feel like moshing in the garage, when it's like 200 degrees in there.
Quote by breakdown123
They should still cover the warranty. But I wouldn't shell out the cash just for the name, cause that pretty much what your buying.
Governor of the Jersey Rocks group
PM me to join
They will replace it.

I just want to say that I really dislike monster cables, they use shady business practices, and overprice a lot, such as with the bass monster cable, which sounds like the biggest ripoff I have heard of with cables. Just use a normal one, there is barely any ound difference. I generally lose a cable every month, so I stick with the cheapoes.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
^If you go through cables that much Monsters sound ideal for you. For one they're way more durable than cheapos. Two, you make a $60 investment and you're making money in 5 or 6 months because of the warranty.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
^If you go through cables that much Monsters sound ideal for you. For one they're way more durable than cheapos. Two, you make a $60 investment and you're making money in 5 or 6 months because of the warranty.

But if you lose them, then you're screwed on that warranty
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
I guess there's no fail safe for irresponsibility.

I prefer to call it "quizzical indifference".
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
1960's Banjuke
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Or you could say that the Pick Gnome has been getting bolder and moved onto cables.

I can't. The Pick Gnome business is heavily unionized.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
1960's Banjuke
And what the Pick Gnomes take, they tend to return at times. Just not the same picks

Monster does honour their warranty without a receipt. Trust me. I am not going to bore everyone with the story, but there's a picture in my profile that explains it in brief.

I tend to use either Monster or Planet Waves.
Having tried both i'd recommend Planet Waves over monster, due to the lower price and that fact I am spectacularly poor
Seriously though I haven't noticed a difference in sound quality, both are very good, however I have never tested the famous warranty which might sway your decision.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel

He loses them, not breaks them. What is he gunna say?

"Yeah my cable was blown apart in nuclear warfare"

As for monster cables, they have really shady practices. They sew every company with the name monster, just because they can. And everything is really overpriced. There isn't a big difference between cables, so don't buy extremely expe4nsive ones.
Governor of the Jersey Rocks group
PM me to join
monster bass cables are the best in my oppinion. they sound great and they will be replaced by the warrenty that covers almost anythinig but OBVIOUS user damage the jack on my monster bass cable got bent. (dont ask) and thyey still replaced it. it sounds better than any cable i have owned before. and you can get them really cheap at our walmart.(didnt think they sold them but they do)
People wonder why i do stupid stuff. they wonder why i dont think things through. its simple really, I LIVE ON THE EADG
so what makes moster cables worth the money? from what i can see they aren't all that great.

monster cable - 15ft - £29.99 - you get a cable with an unlimited lifetime warranty and supposedly improved sound, which i have never noticed when playing through my 30 watt practice amp or my mates trace elliot full stack

planet waves cable - 20ft - £21.99 - you get a cable with an unlimited lifetime warranty and a 24k gold plated jack that supposedly improves sound, which i have never noticed when playing through my 30 watt practice amp or my mates trace elliot full stack

cort cable - 15ft - £9.99 - you get a cable that transfers the electrical signal from your guitar to your amp and i've had mine now for 3 years and there isn't a change in quality from the day i got it and to top it all off if it does go tits up i can just take it back to the store i bought it from with a recipt and they will either refund me my £10 or give me a replacement
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Don't think of it as good cables vs bad cables. But **** cables vs just cables.

The only thing you should be looking at when you buy a cable is making sure that it is sheilded properly. A metal housing for the jacks and the typical core/sheild construction with the cables. (if you cut one in half, it will look like a jawbreaker. With a core and 1 or 2 outer layers of copper)

You will only notice flaws in the metals if you use a mass amount of patch cables (like if you had a pedal board the size of a small car) because they will interact with eachother. Thats the only time that its REALLY worth paying $40 a foot for cable.

Beyond that, if you are THAT concerned with a good sound, find a cable with solid gold wire in it. (Gold being the best conducter of electricity known to man) because thats the only thing that will make a difference. (beyond avoiding pure **** cables)

So don't buy cables with plastic ends and shop for a good warrenty and you will be fine!
finally some sense in amongst all the monster bumming
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by TormentedRx
I have lots of respect for the sound guy of any band.

totally. korn's singer actually has his own sound guy, cuz he sings at a really low volume, like, just above a whisper (this is all from an interview in a Shure magazine), so he has to ride the level with almost every one of JD's words.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Quote by kumamilesbear
totally. korn's singer actually has his own sound guy, cuz he sings at a really low volume, like, just above a whisper (this is all from an interview in a Shure magazine), so he has to ride the level with almost every one of JD's words.

Um what's the purpose of the necropost here?