So I got asked by a friend to teach his brother how to play guitar.
Now I've never taught anyone before, so a few questions.

How much do I charge? I'm gonna have to walk around 2 miles, with my guitar to get there and lessons will be about an hour long.

Would it be best to teach him how to play chords first, or a very easy song?

Are there any good exercises/games that would be fun to do?

I've never had a teacher, so I don't know much about this.
And I'm hoping this is the correct section to post this thread.

Any help will be good!
TRANSFORMICE

How old is the kid you're gonna teach?
Stromberg Montreux
Schecter Hellraiser 7 String
Mesa Boogie "Son of Boogie" 100W Head
Mesa Boogie 112 Cab with a Celestion Vintage 30
Electro Harmonix Small Clone
Death By Audio Fuzz War

when i took lessons it was like 23$ for half an hour, so as far as pricing maybe like 45$ or 50$ if its gonna be an hour, and your walking 2 miles to get there. id recommend like basic stuff to start off with, like learning the notes on each string individually, and then build up to chords maybe.
Quote by tarheelfan2
Oh ****, I just found out I got pwned by Joey! Damn...

Quote by funkbass369
GASPPPP! another one pwned by joey!

Quote by funkyfigure8
Lulz Joey Is Teh Ownage I Want His Penus
ionno how much to charge. Since its a friendly thing, maybe 20$ an hour(since your not a pro, and Im not sure your friend would be willing to pay very much(? I would start with some basic chords, then power chords. You can teach him the power chord shape, give him some easy songs and turn him lose. He can look up a lot of songs he likes because they probably contain power chords, that should keep him occupied for a while.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
start with all the notes on the fretboard. then major and minor scale patterns. then maybe a simple song or like power chord shapes or some easy open chords. eventually use bar chords and how to adjust them to make like augmented chords, etc.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Get a boner and slap your school doctor in the face with your penis.

It'll be funny.

Haiku by of friend of mine:
Fat guy play the bass
Get your jam on, get your jam
And peanut butter

Live Fast, Die Fun
my teacher charges 15 dollars for 30 minutes
everyone hates this little yellow dude
Bad things are always hapenning to him :
Quote by burgurhead1812
start with all the notes on the fretboard. then major and minor scale patterns. then maybe a simple song or like power chord shapes or some easy open chords. eventually use bar chords and how to adjust them to make like augmented chords, etc.

This
Quote by nick11link
How old is the kid you're gonna teach?

I think he is 15.

Yea, coz he is a friends brother, I was thinking about £10 an hour.
And ok, notes, chords and scales.
TRANSFORMICE

I'd say $20 MAX for the lesson. You are not a professional teacher, so the $50 for an hour would be way too much, as that's about what a very quality teacher charges. Also, it's your friend's brother. It's more of a favor rather than a job.

How much experience does this kid have? If he is just picking up the guitar for the first time, teach him out to tune it and some very basic chords and scales. Always, always start with chords and scales. You have to have the basics before you move on, and if you don't, there will be a big gaping hole in your playing later on. I know from experience! So maybe start with some chords, then for the last part of the lesson get him transcribing some easy songs out. Have him pick a song he likes and assist him to get it all by ear- no cheating with tabs! Encourage him to do this on his own and his ear will develop greatly. A good ear is one of the most important things to have. Also, as sacamano79 said, power chords. But they will most likely be in the song you're transcribing, so that's a good opportunity to teach him those.

That should hold you lesson-wise for quite a while. If he's ready to go into more advanced theory, he should get a pro teacher.
Quote by burgurhead1812
then maybe a simple song or like power chord shapes or some easy open chords.

Recommend assuming he can bear that kind of music: Holiday - Green day.
It popped into my head rite away, i learnt it a few weeks in and it was quite rewarding.
tl;dr : IM BETTER THAN YOU
for everyone who's telling him to teach scales: to be honest, no kid wants to pick up a guitar and learn to play scales. teach him some easy songs and powerchords for the first lesson to get him interested, then move onto scales once he is hooked.

when i wanted to learn guitar, the last thing i wanted was for it to be a repeat of learning the piano, with my teacher nagging me and getting mad at me for not practicing, and only teaching me **** i wasn't interested in. don't ruin it for this kid too.
Last edited by tona_107 at Jun 17, 2008,
Quote by tallicafan888
I think he is 15.

Yea, coz he is a friends brother, I was thinking about £10 an hour.
And ok, notes, chords and scales.

10 sounds good, I would shorten it to 30 min lessons. People normally get fed up with sucking if they practice with someone better than them for more than 30 min.

(at least the people I tried to teach did this)
teach him chords/simple songs first then if he s intrerested teach him scales/theory
Quote by fretsonfire74
Pickup line: Hi, you'll do.
Break up: I don't like you anymore.

Quote by Rasta Dogg
I'm freakin' out here, maaaaaan
Quote by metaldud536
Send out your weakest pokemon first then switch to a stronger one to share experience points.
Quote by blong81191
teach him chords/simple songs first then if he s intrerested teach him scales/theory

No guitarist is ever interested in theory that early on. You have to learn the instrument before you learn the theory behind the instrument.
Quote by Stingmaskii
I'd say $20 MAX for the lesson. You are not a professional teacher, so the $50 for an hour would be way too much, as that's about what a very quality teacher charges. Also, it's your friend's brother. It's more of a favor rather than a job.

How much experience does this kid have? If he is just picking up the guitar for the first time, teach him out to tune it and some very basic chords and scales. Always, always start with chords and scales. You have to have the basics before you move on, and if you don't, there will be a big gaping hole in your playing later on. I know from experience! So maybe start with some chords, then for the last part of the lesson get him transcribing some easy songs out. Have him pick a song he likes and assist him to get it all by ear- no cheating with tabs! Encourage him to do this on his own and his ear will develop greatly. A good ear is one of the most important things to have. Also, as sacamano79 said, power chords. But they will most likely be in the song you're transcribing, so that's a good opportunity to teach him those.

That should hold you lesson-wise for quite a while. If he's ready to go into more advanced theory, he should get a pro teacher.

Well he said he can play a bit of Can't stop by the chili peppers. Which part of the song, and how well, I don't know. I'll find out when I see him.

The learning by ear part is interesting. Presuming he is an absolute beginer, will this be too much for him on his first lesson? I know I didn't get the hang of it for a long time.

And yea, I'm only teaching him the basics, that's all I can teach him. If he wants to learn alot of music theory after a few lessons, I'll advise him to look for a pro.

Recommend assuming he can bear that kind of music: Holiday - Green day.

Yea, I was thinking something like Brain stew. I used to listen to alot of Green day, so I know quite alot of their stuff. I'm gonna get him to choose a song he wants to learn, and set it as a target.
TRANSFORMICE

Last edited by tallicafan888 at Jun 17, 2008,