I am a starter guitarist. Everyone talks about pedals and effects. What are some good, semi cheap effects/pedals for some rock, and metal too maybe. Please also explain how they work, seeing as i am new to this. Thank you for your help, in advance. Sorry for my inexperience, but this will be a learning experience. I am currently using a Epiphone SG Special and a Line 6 Spider III 15w amp.
Rock On UG
Last edited by cardiac_arrest at Jun 17, 2008,
doesn't the spider already have a bunch of effects built into it? Beat me to it...

All i needed when i first started out with a good distortion pedal, but the spider is gonna be fine with all the built in effects to give you a taste of what you like.

And typically pedals through a nicer tube amp will sound much better. But definately mess with all the effects on their, and when you feel its time to upgrade your amp and get some new pedals, you'll have a much better idea of what you want
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Last edited by ICANSEEYOU7687 at Jun 17, 2008,
distortion, wah, delay, reverb, and chorus are about all youll need for rock
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
i've always found pop to be harder to play than metal... especially shred metal... it's just really fast tremolo picking and the occasional palm mute... and the only chords you have to worry about are power chords...
Boss ME-50, might not be on the cheap side but it's the only one you'll ever need. Probably.
Don't get one of those cheapo ones, it's likely they'll sound worse than the ones built into your amp.
Effect amps are generally pretty **** full stop since there mostly non stomp or foot activated.

Dry a mutli effect pedal, the Korg AX5G, that has lots of presets to start with. Aslo try digitech hyperphase.
yeh there right, th3e spiders are made for rock/metla anyway, learn to use hes befor getting some pedal and slowl6y build up a collection of quality ones like boss or behtringer, if you get cheapies youl have to replace tham and yoiu would have wasted your cash (ive made this mistake wit hguitars) or you could get a multi effex, go on gak.com and theres some good cheap zoom thing
Boss and behringer are quality now? I would consider boss to be alright, but behringer sucks.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by weorge
yeh there right, th3e spiders are made for rock/metla anyway, learn to use hes befor getting some pedal and slowl6y build up a collection of quality ones like boss or behtringer, if you get cheapies youl have to replace tham and yoiu would have wasted your cash (ive made this mistake wit hguitars) or you could get a multi effex, go on gak.com and theres some good cheap zoom thing

Wait, what?

Well, I do agree that you should not get anything cheaper than Behringer. You're probably best off getting something a lot better than Behringer too, you know.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Last edited by Fama at Jun 17, 2008,
Quote by YourVillain
Boss ME-50, might not be on the cheap side but it's the only one you'll ever need. Probably.
Don't get one of those cheapo ones, it's likely they'll sound worse than the ones built into your amp.

I don't really think an ME-50 is something that any new guitarist really needs, or should really be spending so much money on.

Get a wah pedal, those are fun to play around with.
Peavey HP Signature EXP (SH4 JB/ SH2 Jazz)
Jackson DK2M
Fender MIM Stratocaster HSS
Fender MiM Telecaster

EVH 5150 III w/ EVH 2x12 cab
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

Boss ME-50; NS-2; RV-5; BF-3
MXR M101 Phase 90
i thought behringers were supposed to be good, sorry if thats wrong, but the me50 boss is awesome, i got one, but they might be expensive if you dont use many effects (although its a hell of a lot cheaper than getting the equivelent effects in sigle pedals)
Quote by Fama
Wait, what?

Well, I do agree that you should not get anything cheaper than Behringer. You're probably best off getting something a lot better than Behringer too, you know.

Some Behringer pedals are hidden gems tho. Check out their tubescreamer clone, clips can be found on you tube
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Quote by Bloodshed
Some Behringer pedals are hidden gems tho. Check out their tubescreamer clone, clips can be found on you tube

Yeah, I know. I have a Behringer pedal myself. But I wouldn't still class them as "quality pedals".
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.