there hasn't been a thread in a while...

i LOVE this band. easily one of my favorite bands around today. i love wincing and inverted world and chutes is pretty good too. my fav songs are girl on the wing, girl inform me, caring is creepy, so says i, pink bullets, phantom limb, turn on me, and red rabbits.

any news of a new album?
I too love this band.
My favorites have to be:
Caring is Creepy
Turn On Me
Sleeping Lessons
Australia
Sea Legs
Those to Come
Young Pilgrims
Quote by EndTheRapture51
no one fuckin cares
Love love love. I've got Wincing The Night Away and Chutes Too Narrow, both of which make me want to dance incessantly.
there is no fear in this heart.

Quote by ETHANEVIL
How am I being or trying to be fabulous/glamorous?

They get my seal of approval.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Australia and Fighting in a Sack are my favourites, haven't listened to them THAT much to be honest but I will.
You are like a hurricane
There's calm in your eye.
And I'm gettin' blown away
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.
I have all three of their albums, and they're one of my favorite bands.

Since they released Wincing only last year, and it took them four years between that and Chutes, I wouldn't expect anything new for at least another year or two.

But I dunno. Maybe they've gotten a spontaneous burst of ideas as of late.
There's only one girl in the world for you
and she probably lives in Tahiti.
i can't even tell you guys how much i love the song pink bullets. everytime i hear it, it just brings me back to last summer and spring part of my junior year in high school. all the memories i had with all my friends (many of them are at college now, so it's not the same anymore since we're not in high school together) and just the whole summer vibe.

so yeah, anyone else have a special connection like that?
i used to listen to them a bunch, but i sort of slowed down after high school and pretty much stopped when i was let down by Wincing...
no **** i almost cried when i heared them live
saint simon became my favorite song thanks to that concert
i haven't listened to this band in so long i got to give them a play
i saw them live at bumbershoot it always slips my mind
and i smoked this huge j to myself it was great then i danced
people thought i was strange
^haha, i love listening to the shins on bake drives. even my friends who are all into young jeezy, nas, tupac, and all other rap enjoy the shins. it's great.
nice i remember baked drives oh they were great oh so great
but my friend sold his car and there is no need to drive in seattle
so now we have baked bus rides
all of wincing the night away

especially
sleeping lessons
australia
sea legs
caring is creepy
know your onion
the shins are ace. For some reason i really like 'new slang'. idk i just love the laid back feel of it. i also really like the cover they did of "Such Great Heights". great stuff.
I didn't know they did a cover of "Such Great Heights." I knew they covered "We Will Become Silhouettes," though, which is a really good cover.
Quote by K-Lizzle
I didn't know they did a cover of "Such Great Heights." I knew they covered "We Will Become Silhouettes," though, which is a really good cover.

oh yeah...my bad. i meant WWBS. idk why i typed 'such great heights'
Because they're both Postal Service songs, and you got them mixed up.

It's aight.
ok so this is quite the bump (i'm shocked the Shins don't have a larger thread on UG...i feel like i'm missing something), but i had a question for you guys.

i have two different versions of new slang. before i went out and picked up Oh inverted world, i had downloaded a few off the album, new slang included. well, i realized that the version i had always been listening to was different from the album's version.

my mysterious version is very similar, but a bit 'darker', with less of that 'sunshine pop' edge it's more depressing and emotional imo. subtle differences of course. for starters, the guitar is tuned down a bit, in between pitches (D and D#). that always threw me off when i looked up tabs for the song, because no matter what i played, i couldn't find the right notes . i eventually just listened for open strings with the song going and tuned my guitar to the track.

i've decided i prefer the darker version. i'm thinking maybe this version is just a slightly altered release for the single. have any of you guys heard it?

My mind is going. I can feel it.
^Can't say I have unfortunately.

Oh The Shins. They're that band on my iPod, that when I put it on shuffle, they pop up every once in awhile and I think to myself that I really should listen to this band more. I have Shins kicks every now and then, but not enough. Favorite tracks are probably New Slang, Your Algebra, Know Your Onion, Saint Simon, Pink Bullets, and Young Pilgrims. Favorite record has to be Chutes Too Narrow, I honestly don't really like Wincing the Night Away.
Quote by redh0tchilip3pp
I have nothing by them. Reccommendations are welcome.

New Slang is their most popular and pretty much considered their best.
Pink Bullets
Caring Is Creepy
Kissing The Lipless
Australia
Know Your Onion!
So Says I

The Past And Pending is one of my favorites but for some reason every review of "Oh Inverted World" I have read calls it one of their weakest

Quote by MTVget0FFtheAIR
i've decided i prefer the darker version. i'm thinking maybe this version is just a slightly altered release for the single. have any of you guys heard it?

one is from the garden state soundtrack and one's from the album. i can't remember which one's tuned down, but i like that better as well.
Quote by somewhat_here
one is from the garden state soundtrack and one's from the album. i can't remember which one's tuned down, but i like that better as well.

ah that makes sense. the garden state one is tuned down.

A couple songs off Wincing aren't on my Ipod but are listed on my Itunes. It's sad because they are some of my favorite songs.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Shins are my fav BAND (not including solo artists... elliott smith to be exact)
i like

Caring is Creepy
A Comet Appears
New Slang
Girl Inform Me
Turn On Me
Saint Simon
Girl Sailor

Proably around-about that order. hard to order songs like the shins, they are all good.
I love bands like this that are really their own genre in and of themselves. You can not really define them there is no one else like them, great band
^ I completely agree.

They've got this amazing ability to make songs that are so catchy and unique, not to mention poetic lyrics. I just love how their lyrics are so intelligent - Saint Simon especially.
I've got most of their songs, but I really want their whole albums!

a song song song bout how to sing
a song song song about everything