Don't you hate it when a riff or song you write unintentionally sounds almost EXACTLY like a riff or part of another song? For example, the main riff in one of my band's song's sounds almost exactly like a part in "Scream Bloody Gore" by Death. I've never even heard "SBG" when I wrote our song. So has anyone else here ever have experiences like this?
SPEAK OV ME NOT AS ONE
SPEAK OV ME NOT AS NONE
SPEAK OV ME NOT AT ALL
FOR I AM CONTINUAL
well really unless you write something completely messed up that makes no sense it's hard today to write something that sounds good that hasn't been written before. Even many songs sound very much alike if you change small parts of the riffs. It's the "small" things that make the difference imo :p
ive done the exact same thing...i wrote a riff that is identical to the one in thunderhorse over a year or so ago but in a different key...so guess what happens when guitar hero comes out...oh dude thats the thunderhorse riff...me=what is thunderhorse? by dethklok! me=who is dethklok? on guitar hero 2!! me= what is guitar hero 2? so now if i ever play the riff people ask OH is that the dethklok riff??? and its like NO...i wrote it before i ever heard it, and before the song ever even came out...before guitar hero...before the show even came on...gosh...it sux i know but it happens to us all
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
hahaha, yeah, all the time. EDIT: oh in my case i'm normally familiar with the song and am just a retard for not realising...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
hahaha, yeah, all the time. EDIT: oh in my case i'm normally familiar with the song and am just a retard for not realising...

+1.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
that is one excellent username.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well to avoid this, I instead write my songs from songs I know (at least at times)! Smart eh? Like one song we have, I started with Won't Get Fooled Again by The Who, took the chords and then moved them into Jailbreak by Thin Lizzy. I then spent sometime making the riff from there and it worked great.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Yeah I had written a song that used the sliding thing in 7 words ( by the deftones) and thought it was the greatest thing in the world. I even wrote a little solo for it. Luckily I didn't show that to anybody.
Yea except for BTBAM...I don't think it's possible to write something that sounds even close to them
id say 1 outta 10 riffs i write i hear on the radio a week later
one time i thought i wrote a bad ass riff and found out a like two weeks later it was Daytripper!
EDIT: i think some tunes you hear so much they get stuck in your subconscious. I think that was the case with that up there ^ ^ ^
Why you reading this?
Quote by 742627000017
I use my thumb and my johnson

Quote by deanexplosion99
idk what the keys are for but the reason i think its for the floyd rose is because its called floyd rose double locking

Quote by niggafolife
i iz hurr tuh spek da troof abowt muzik
Last edited by plucky duck at Jun 17, 2008,
Quote by Dave_Mc

Me too.
Quote by plucky duck
id say 1 outta 10 riffs i write i hear on the radio a week later
one time i thought i wrote a bad ass riff and found out a like two weeks later it was Daytripper!
EDIT: i think some tunes you hear so much they get stuck in your subconscious. I think that was the case with that up there ^ ^ ^

+!.
Done it a few times. Sometimes I realise that what I've wrote is influence by another song, but is so far extrapolated that I'm the only person who could possibly notice it.

I've got one acoustic song which has a similar chordal pattern to No Surprises by Radiohead, but it sounds NOTHING like it. Weird how that can work out.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
I used to worry about it but to be honest i think it happens to most bands now

even protest the hero who im my eyes are one of the most amazing bands around have

"to the many bands whose stolen riffs appear on this album"

in the thanks section of their new album.
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
Quote by DrPants PhD
Me? Thank you.

yeah.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
great minds think alike?
MY GEAR!
Amp
-Peavey Classic 30
Guitars
-Silverburst Epiphone Les Paul Custom
-Squier Stratocaster
Pedals
-Ibanez TS9DX Turbo Tube Screamer
-Fender PT-100
-MXR Phase 90
-Fuzz Face Clone
-MXR Carbon Copy
I've written like 3 different riffs that sound like the main riff to Ride the Lightning.
Quote by stevenpollock
You can't be successful in Jazz music until you're at least 40. You don't have anything to say.
yeah ive written a riff that sounded just like let it go by def leppard
a few days after i wrote i heard the song on the radio and i was like, thats my song
but then i found out it was leppard and it bugged me
It happens, but its so much worse when you KNOW you've heard the riff/chord progression before but you CAN'T THINK OF WHAT SONG. Took me a week to figure it out.
I'm the one who has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to.
-Jimi Hendrix
ive done it... more times on bass then guitar, nut ive done it.... about a week ago i did one and it followed the exact pattern of a ratm song just faster and in a dif key
xbox live gamertag: phillips215