Alrights, whats up GB&C? First post in this forum so im a little wary, but you might like this.

Initially this was a simple, cheap 100 pound strat affair from amazon. Original spec was a S-S-S setup, with master volume and two tone controls, your standard strat. Tone was good enough for the price but nothing to write home about. Sadly i do not have a picachoor from before , but you will already have a good idea.

This is the finished guitar :

Ill go through the mod bit by bit.

1. Pickguard changed from white to black, H-S-S routing
2. an Iron Gear 'hot slag' pickup, high output
3. new pot #1 Volume (the top black knob)
4. My personal favourite , and the white 'special' knob - variable coil tap on the humbucker. Goes from full to completely tapped.
5. New tone pot ( bottom black pot) Master tone
6. The small switch is a neck on switch, whenever its on the neck pickup is added into the signal.

And thats about it! i wish i could post wiring diagram etc, but i was not the modder, that be a friend who is litterally a wizzard with guitar modding and building.

So... opinions?

Urgh. every image host i use keeps dying . ill sort it
Last edited by richwatkinson at Jun 17, 2008,
unnessisarily awesome

the varible coil tap idea is sweet, as is the neck pup tap switch

nice!
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Hey, i thought i'd sign up just so that i could reply to this thread.

I'm the evil genius who did these things to Dicky's guitar - twas great fun to do!

As for the diagrams, i just used diagrams stolen from various websites, the coil tap is here:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/schematics/schematics.php?schematic=sum96tip

and the neck on switch is here:

http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/allpickups.php

both are simple designs - i had been pondering all day on how to do the coil tap thing and i knew it would be a simple case of attaching both spare wires to a lug of a pot and another lug to earth - i just didn't know which lugs to use!

Next up when i have the time and dicky has the money will be to quieten the bugger as it has a LOT of noise.
For a cheap guitar that finish is just beautiful.

What do the middle setting on that coil tap sound like?
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
cheers dude, i'll probably try out that if i get a guitar with humbuckers, the neck on thing is easy though, i got a bridge on in my strat, its awesome!
lol@u
I have variable coil taps in my Les Paul, they are awesome.
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.