So, here is the story, and I don't want to be told that it is a bad idea or song/band. My Friend and I went in for our music lesson, (Well it is more like schools out and or music teacher lets us come in and play songs and jam and things like that.) and anyway, our teacher asked us if for the begining of next year if we could do a cover of a song for a pepband or something. We said yeah, and she asked us what we would liek to do, so she could see if people would like it. So we were going through songs, by disturbed and others, then we came to some fall out boy songs. We then showed her the music video of "Beat it", their version of the Michel Jackson song, so we started to learn a little of it. I was playing my 6 string and he was playing bass. So now we are looking for other people to play with us. We go to a small school so there aren't many options, and we might have a possibility for a singer, and rythm guitarist. We need either a bass player or a drummer, because my friend is a great drummer, and bass player. So I was wondering if any of you out there had advice for me and my friend.
well, either way, we are going to need a singer, rythm guitarist, and a bass player or drummer, so yeah...
If you want to do that song, take Michael Jacksons original version and make your own cover from that. Don't cover a cover unless they are identical. Just make sure you make it your own and play it well.
Quote by scream_it
Don't cover a cover unless they are identical.

That's a bad idea. It's better to put your own style into a cover.
two and a half men.
Quote by Cameronrobson
That's a bad idea. It's better to put your own style into a cover.

I understand what you are saying but, what I meant was there would be no point in covering Fallout Boy's cover of Michael Jackson's song. It would be repetitive, he should use the original song as the basis for his version. That statement was to say "Don't cover Fallout Boy's cover, unless music wise they are the same, because then it wouldn't matter which one you would use." Hence my next sentence saying to make the cover his own.
Last edited by scream_it at Jun 17, 2008,
Well just try and get anyone that you can who is good at what they do, but don't ask people that have been playing for less than about a year or who are below a certain standard
You have two choices:

1. Ask around to see if anyone will sing/play.
2. Give up (I don't recommend this one).

There's nothing anyone on here can say other than to encourage to start looking. If there is no one (!?) in your school who can sing or play guitar, go to your local music shop and ask if you can put an advert in the window, asking for musicians.

Good luck!

(By the way, why is everyone discussing whether to cover Fallout Boy or Michael Jackson, does it actually matter if they haven't got the people to do it?)
Quote by EL2T

(By the way, why is everyone discussing whether to cover Fallout Boy or Michael Jackson, does it actually matter if they haven't got the people to do it?)

He wanted advice on what to do so I suggested to cover the song he wants to. If he can't get enough people he can try to do the song with just his friend.