o_o..

Well, I'm taking the leap from drumming to guitar. I love drumming, but I really want to learn to play guitar as well ..

The problem is that I dunno where to start. I bought myself a "guitar starter pack" for like 220-230 bucks which included:

Epiphone Les Paul Special II
A 10w amp
A few picks (medium)

And really.. have no idea where to go from there. What would you suggest for beginning exercises, and what do you propose is the best way to progress?

Somebody told me to learn the strings/individual notes, then go on to chords/scales, and start playing some simple songs.. then go for alternative picking techniques and play songs that are harder.

I would love other people's opinions (and some examples ) on this though ^_^..

Thank you very much in advance.
Play what you enjoy, best advice you'll ever get, stops you getting bored.

Simple, ovbiously is better, white stripes seven nation is a faveourite for that :P
Awesome man, I'm also a drummer who's looking to expand his musical arsonal by learning guitar. I recommend these series of guitars even to just see what you're getting into here. I'd also recommend the strings, chords, songs method, but also some finger strengthening in there to help out.
Honestly, id get some lessons, it just makes things easier, and adds more to your playing, along with the knowledge of how it all works, with theory
start with easy things such as Green day, i meen personally hate green day but try be realistic about what you start with or you may get disheartened. also i think a good exercise to get all your fingers working is:

start 1st finger 6th fret on the low E.
play chromatically (all four fingers, pinky will play the 9th fret)
then move to the A string and up a fret so that your first finger starts on the 5th again playing chromatically.
then keep doing this until you end up on the high e string with your 1st finger on the 1st fret, playing chromatically again.
Finally play the same pattern backwards and repeat.

this will really help your coordination between the two hands, i should mention that this should be alternativly picked all the time.

And.... Start slow!!!! haha
Quote by Anthony1991
Play what you enjoy, best advice you'll ever get, stops you getting bored.

Simple, ovbiously is better, white stripes seven nation is a faveourite for that :P

That's just it, I'm getting sorta bored with drums. I sorta wanna learn another instrument as well, and my primary candidate was guitar.

^_^ thanks for the recommendation, I'll look up the tab and try my best to play it xD..