Hey all...I did a quick search and didn't see this covered, but...

I want a Gibson LP without paying a crap ton of money for one and I was wondering if it's any cheaper to try to find the parts and build one as a project guitar. And if it is, where's the best place to look for these parts? Ebay doesn't seem to have a whole lot going right now.

Has anyone else made a guitar like this? If so, do you have any advice/anecdotes/whatever on the subject? Thanks.
its really hard to find a 1 piece mahogany body without paying a butt load or making it urself (thus making it not a gibson). trust me, i tried looking for a long time.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Tried Warmoth?
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
find an old mahogany table
cut out a lp shape
route it
paint it
put pickups on it
put a neck on it
put strings on it
guitar
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
Cheap way no. If you dont mind a bolt neck then warmoth isnt to bad on price. If you want set neck then may have some problems finding ready made parts for "cheap"
Quote by bi-ah!
cut out a lp shape
route it
paint it
put pickups on it
put a neck on it
put strings on it
guitar

You forgot the bridge and tuners.
And frets...
Please do not insinuate anything sexual from that.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
Oh, and you'd do best to go with an epiphone les paul custom.
1 piece mohagony body with carved top.
Set mohagany neck.
Pickups are OK, not very bright an a bit muddy, but new ones is 200 at most.

Under 900 bucks, all brand new stuff, you've got a beautiful guitar that plays great.

The pickups aren't even bad, and sustain=killer.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
Quote by Iansmitchell
You forgot the bridge and tuners.
And frets...

you know what mean, dont correct me
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
Quote by bi-ah!
you know what mean, dont correct me

all your base are belong to suck.

Quote by cobain_is_king
Warmoth stuff looks awesome.

I'm thinking my next guitar will be assembled from their parts, seems like it'd be fun.
Quote by bi-ah!
cut out a lp shape
route it
paint it
put pickups on it
put a neck on it
put strings on it
guitar

Oh wow that sounds easy I think its a bit more than that. Especially when it comes to the neck. Set necks aren't exactly the the easiest thing as far as I've seen.
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
Quote by xxunder-takerxx
its really hard to find a 1 piece mahogany body without paying a butt load or making it urself (thus making it not a gibson). trust me, i tried looking for a long time.
Gibsons aren't one piece, even the Custom Shops aren't one piece...

Quote by Iansmitchell
Oh, and you'd do best to go with an epiphone les paul custom.
1 piece mohagony body with carved top.
... and neither are Epiphones...
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Gibsons aren't one piece, even the Custom Shops aren't one piece...

... and neither are Epiphones...

The neck and body are separate, and the carved maple is separate from the mahogany, but the gibson les paul special, junior, and SG are all a one piece maple slab body.
And the epi les paul custom is a one piece mohagony body, as is the G-400 from more recent yers.

Quote by cobain_is_king
Quote by Iansmitchell
The neck and body are separate, and the carved maple is separate from the mahogany, but the gibson les paul special, junior, and SG are all a one piece maple slab body.
And the epi les paul custom is a one piece mohagony body, as is the G-400 from more recent yers.

Okay, let's go through this:
- The necks and maple cap are a given, genius.
- SGs are not LPs, which is what's being discussed here.
- No, the Epi Custom isn't, anyone who's ever touched one can tell you that, you only have to play it to hear the difference between it's two slab construction and any single piece bodies.
- Gibson don't have a 'Special' model anymore, that was stopped years back so who gives a rat's arse. If you mean the Epiphone Special-II, that's still a basswood plyboard deal made of about 50000 layers...
- The Gibson Junior (well, the Billie Joe, since that's the only one they're still making) body is made of two slices, you can find they list both the top and bottom separately as mahogany, and again you can just play one to tell the difference. The Epiphone version, as I found out when I was modding it, seems to be three slices of god knows what (I think basswood but I could be mistaken, they've taken the page for it down from the Epi site now and most websites selling them just list 'tonewood' which could mean anything).
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Okay, let's go through this:

- SGs are not LPs, which is what's being discussed here.

- The Gibson Junior (well, the Billie Joe, since that's the only one they're still making) body is made of two slices

WRONG:
A 1962 Les Paul is shaped like an SG. I have a 1962 Les Paul Junior that is shaped like an SG as well.

WRONG:

Gibson is still making Les Paul Junior guitars that are not BJA. They just cost more then the old $750.00 model.
Quote by SenorSmiley
WRONG:
A 1962 Les Paul is shaped like an SG. I have a 1962 Les Paul Junior that is shaped like an SG as well.

WRONG:

Gibson is still making Les Paul Junior guitars that are not BJA. They just cost more then the old $750.00 model.

1) Don't be pedantic, you know damn well that the old double cut 'Les Paul' was retroactively named the SG, and that is how the SG came to be. You're not impressing anyone just because you know the SG was originally called a Les Paul.
2) They're the Custom Shop VOS models. Have you seen anyone asking about Custom Shop VOS model LP Juniors? I sure as hell haven't.
Quote by MrFlibble
1) Don't be pedantic, you know damn well that the old double cut 'Les Paul' was retroactively named the SG, and that is how the SG came to be. You're not impressing anyone just because you know the SG was originally called a Les Paul.
2) They're the Custom Shop VOS models. Have you seen anyone asking about Custom Shop VOS model LP Juniors? I sure as hell haven't.

+1

Nor does anyone give a damn what guitars you own.
Quote by infidelappel
Very, very nice. How much did it cost you? And how long did it take to get it?

it was around $1300 for all the stuff from Warmoth - which was everything but the pickups. The binding made it more expensive, plus it has Planet Waves locking tuners, Schaller strap locks and a custom neck plate (not from Warmoth) that added to the cost a bit - plus 4 push-pull pots which are a bit more expensive. The pickups I got elsewhere and they totalled $180 - $90 each for Duncans (sh-5, sh-2, nickel covers)

so around $1500 altogether...

oh I forget to mention it took eight weeks to get all the parts - it's shorter if you don't go totally custom like I did - they have lots of amazing showcase stuff available.
Last edited by GoDrex at Jun 18, 2008,
guitarfetish.com has some LP copies for <$200 - could start with that??
Can't believe I missed this the first time around.

Quote by GoDrex
That looks gorgeous. I've been thinking of buying from Warmoth recently - can I ask though, how's it play and sound? I'm mostly worried about having a bolt-on 25.5" scale neck, since I'm used to set 24.75" scale ones. Mostly, how is the sustain and fret access (from the bolt-on joint)?
the scale is 24.75 -- it's a conversion neck
http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/necks/necks.cfm?fuseaction=lp_alternate2475

the neck joint is contoured - the access is good.
http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/bodies/lp.cfm?fuseaction=contoured_heel_lp

the sustain is pretty great IMO.

I forgot to mention that i got the hollow option...
http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/bodies/lp.cfm?fuseaction=hollow_lp

I think it plays great. It;s the best guitar i've ever had - which isn't saying much, but I'm very happy with it. It perfect for classic rock and blues.
making a LP Body or neck is easy.

Just buy Honduram mahogany and you'll be all set.

It takes maybe two hours to make the neck.
Quote by SenorSmiley
making a LP Body or neck is easy.

Just buy Honduram mahogany and you'll be all set.

It takes maybe two hours to make the neck.

Yes, of course. Just buy a couple of hunks of wood and whip up a guitar. It's like arts and crafts, really.