Well, i was taking the knobs off my pickguard to see how hard it would be to put a humbucker/killswitch in my mock off Fender Strat. When I was adjusting the tone knob to line up the '10' i heard a crack. Come to find out the metal part of the knob snapped off. This is the only guitar i own. Any help fixing this would be great. I took some pics so that you could see what i did, and maybe help me fix it Would it be possible to like, super glue the tone knob back on and it be alright.

Sorry if the pics are huge.
You might need a new tone pot.
"Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel."- Jimi Hendrix
leave it like that it looks metal rraawrr >...but seriously I can't help you :/ ...sorry
hang on what has taking the covers off got to do with seeing how hard it would be to install a killswitch?

if you open up your guitar get the pot then open up the casing you should be able to re-attach it, i dunno if it will work though
Quote by rancidryan
hang on what has taking the covers off got to do with seeing how hard it would be to install a killswitch?

if you open up your guitar get the pot then open up the casing you should be able to re-attach it, i dunno if it will work though

I wanted to take pickguard off.. See the wiring.
Glueing a shaft back into a pot inst to hard if you dont mind it doesnt spin. But glueing on back together and it still work would a pain. There are many many places selling pots on the net.
you need a new pot,

the guard would need to come off, you'll need a soldering iron kit.

transfer all the wires from the old pot to the new one.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
You think i should take the medal piece out of the tone knob, take the pickguard off and glue that medal piece back on, then put everything back together? I dont really care if it doesnt spin, i just dont want my sound to be different.
Quote by jj1565
you need a new pot,

the guard would need to come off, you'll need a soldering iron kit.

transfer all the wires from the old pot to the new one.

Ok could someone link me to the exact pot that i need. I think i can borrow a soldering kit so it will be alright.
well you dont need to take covers off you take off the pick guard.

a new pot will be cheap if you get someone to wire it though it wont be
I will wire it myself, i think it would be good to get to know how a guitar works. How would i take the pick guard off without taking the knobs off?
buy a 250K pot at stewmac.com or similar. you will want the part prior to taking arart ur guitar.

tAke off the strings, it's a trem bridge, so brace it in the back if you want, but it shouldnt be too bad.

after the strings are out of the way, take off all the pickguard screws along the outermost edge of the guard.

not the screws holding on the switch.

take that plastic knob off that stem, using pliers.

write on a piece of paper or take a pic of the broken pot and which wires / colors are connected.

desolder them, by heating the connections and soaking up the drop of melted solder with a desoldering braid, if you have one.

take the broken pot out, put the new one in and attach the nut over the stem on the outside of the upsidedown guard to hold it in place.

heat the connections add solder to attach the 2 or 3 wires.

put the guard back on. restring, level the bridge adjust action, intonate.

that's a pic of a strat guard underside. that one has a 4 wire pickup in it, but you get the idea. the circles are the pot bottoms.

and the guard will be attached by a couple of wires, even after you take off al the screws, so carefull flipping it over.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
what flavor of the week guitarist is using a kill switch? I see many posts about it which tells me someone is doing it and all the teenyboppers are jumping on the bandwagon.

If I am wrong I apologize.
Quote by SenorSmiley
what flavor of the week guitarist is using a kill switch? I see many posts about it which tells me someone is doing it and all the teenyboppers are jumping on the bandwagon.

If I am wrong I apologize.

Is it wrong to want to get a sound like Buckethead or Tom tom Morello?
Not at all. I just wondered who it was people were copying. When I was a teenybopper I put a Bigsby on my LP Deluxe to be like Neil Young because I saw Sonic Youth open for him and thought he was pretty amazing.

My buddy loved Yngvie and scalloped the neck of his 71 Strat and put HS-3s and a brass nut in it. Good for both of us guiars were cheap back then and we probably spent under 1k total combined to do buy those guitars and do those mods,

Also, this thread is in the wrong place. It should be in the repairs and customizing section.
Last edited by SenorSmiley at Jun 17, 2008,