The thing is, we're not really a band. We don't practice at all and I feel like I'm the only one that wants to actually be in a band and make music. Another thing is that nobody in the band likes the same type of music. I want to do post-hardcore while the rhythm guitar player wants to play **** like disturbed and slipknot and the drummer wants to play mainstream rock.

I know the logical thing to do would be quit, but I really want to be in a band and I've put a lot of effort in to making this work. I don't really know anybody who likes the same kind of music I do either, so it would be hard to start a new band. Can anyone give me some advice?
two and a half men.
Quote by Cameronrobson
The thing is, we're not really a band. We don't practice at all and I feel like I'm the only one that wants to actually be in a band and make music. Another thing is that nobody in the band likes the same type of music. I want to do post-hardcore while the rhythm guitar player wants to play **** like disturbed and slipknot and the drummer wants to play mainstream rock.

I know the logical thing to do would be quit, but I really want to be in a band and I've put a lot of effort in to making this work. I don't really know anybody who likes the same kind of music I do either, so it would be hard to start a new band. Can anyone give me some advice?

Just get together and jam, same situation with my buddies that I jam with, they all like different **** but when we come together and write and jam we all like it.
Ive been in this position, and it sucks.
I left the band and made my own one, it was hard because i didnt know a lot of musicians but i put posters up in music shops, i got pretty good responce from that.

Nathy x
Nathy
The thing is with bands is that you need to have compromise. A band will never work if you can't appreciate and respect everyone else's musical preferences. I've been in countless bands where I dumped everything into and didn't want to quit but if you can't come to a compromise then the band is never going to move forward. On the flip side, if it really makes you happy and is something you enjoy then stay with it.
you will never reach your goals if you try to accomplish them with people who don't share the same drive as you. find like-minded players.
Gear

Gibson Shred-X Explorer
Epiphone Negative Explorer w/ EMG 80/60
ESP LTD EC QM200
Ibanez RG321 w/ EMG 81/60

Peavey 5150
Mesa Boogie 4x12 Slant cab

http://www.delusionsof.com
Quote by ConstableMurtis
you will never reach your goals if you try to accomplish them with people who don't share the same drive as you. find like-minded players.

+1
Nathy
Quote by Twisted Wishes
Ive been in this position, and it sucks.
I left the band and made my own one, it was hard because i didnt know a lot of musicians but i put posters up in music shops, i got pretty good responce from that.

Nathy x

I don't like the idea of putting up musicians wanted ads because I don't want to be playing with people twice my age.
two and a half men.
Don't give it up just yet. Just look for a common band that you all like (dosen't matter what style it is in) and play one song by that band, then you can see what parts you think you could use in some original material and create a style that is more unique in corporating different bits from the general genre's that you want to do
About the practicing just get everyone together to organise a time and place. About the music, well just give it a chance and see if the other guys will open their minds a little. If not I think the putting up posters idea is a good one. And if you don't want anyone older just note that down on the ad. Hope I helped.
Guitar:Gibson Les Paul Standard

Amp:Vox AC30

Everyone listen to MGMT
Quote by Cameronrobson

Y'know, seeking to do just one genre isn't really all that healthy. If you could do something that has a little bit of all your influences in it, you could come up with something that sounds truly original.
Instead of being a purely post-hardcore (whatever that is.... I'm sure there are lots of bands among the genre that sound like clones of each other though) musician, why not just be a 'musician'?