Whos the second best ever?

Jimi Hendrix is invariably placed at the top spot whenever a list of guitar gods is complied. This thread is not at all about him. Who is second best ever? We all seem to agree on Hendrix but who always come second?

EDIR: Start a stupid thread... err... sorry :S
Last edited by KevVin at Jun 17, 2008,
Hendrix just knew his way around a wah, personally i find the songs boring, but maybe that's because i'm not high all the time.
Rockin' shit
Hendrix isn't number 1.

fail.
Quote by alteredstates
If you are rowing down the road in your canoe and your wagon wheel falls off. How many pancakes does it take to make a doghouse?

Green, because a vest has no sleeves.

Can't we all just get a bong?
Any person I put at second best would be tied with another person I put at second best. Hell, why not put them both at first best? Jimi Hendrix is just an opinion.
ta. good point. I'm saying i get the general impression we all love Hendrix, and think a "best guitarist ever thread" would be lame. Which is essentially this thread.

Yeh I'm pretty much thoroughly ashamed of myself now.
Doesn't matter who is best. I could say I'm best and have valid points. "Best" is merely an opinion.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Quote by andy_thomas
Hendrix isn't number 1.

fail.

+1

And another +1 for having my first name.

To contribute to the thread:

Disclaimer:
This is just an opinion, I Be Andyy is entitled to his own opinion, any flamers may be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. You will also be pantsed and called Shirley. You have been warned.

I'm going with Buckethead. The whole, "I can shred but I can actually write songs that have meaning and melody to them" thing goes over quite well with me.
My Gear:
Yamaha FGX720SCA
Last edited by I Be Andyy at Jun 17, 2008,
Why would we all agree that Hendrix is the best guitarist ever? People who think that don't listen to enough other guitarists.
you know what? hendrix is good.

but when it comes to shred nobody beats dime. dimebag is the greatest that my opinoion as for the second best. randy rhodes? thats just my opinion answering the thread.
Your talking about two different things. The best and the most influential. Most of the guitar players out there are good at what they do, but I think what is more important is who is the most influential guitar player of all time and who is the second.

If you were to ask any real guitar historian, they would say Robert Johnson and then Check Berry.

Robert Johnson because he gave birth to the blues which is where rock came from and that gave way to heavy metal.

Chuck Berry be cause he was probably the 1st to bring the electric guitar as the lead instrument and showed everyone what you could do with an electric guitar.
Personally, I agree that Hendrix is best. But that's because Blues-Rock is my genre. It's my niche and comfort zone to play in, and I love hearing good players like Hendrix. On the other hand, I absolutely depise metal music, but I have tremendous respect for it's players, particularly the guitarists.

I can only imagine the amount of pressure on today's shred guitarists, because they're constantly called to 'perform'. However, a player like Hendrix plays off of emotion, and doesn't need to play the same everytime.

All comes down to personal preference I s'pose.
Quote by jimmyhotpants
Hendrix just knew his way around a wah, personally i find the songs boring, but maybe that's because i'm not high all the time.

hendrix was a musical genius, and you don't have to be high to enjoy his creativity and originality. being the best guitarist is about playing the fastest or anything like that, its about who can speak using their guitar, playing with soul, creativity and originality.
personally i think you cant compare guitarists how can you compare hendrix and EVH when they differ so much its like comparing apples to oranges.
but some of my favorites are: hendrix, clapton, bb king, john frusciante and tom morello.
psychedelic.
Quote by Bedhead03
you know what? hendrix is good.

but when it comes to shred nobody beats dime. dimebag is the greatest that my opinoion as for the second best. randy rhodes? thats just my opinion answering the thread.

I lol'ed. But I won't flame because MANY (including myself at one point LONG AGO) have thought the same way you have. It shouldn't be too long before you grow out of your dimebag fanboyism and are introduced to all of the other great guitarists of the world.

P.S. Dime is still one of my favorite guitarists so I'm not on a horse.

[quote="Ryzeke1 On the other hand, I absolutely depise metal music, but I have tremendous respect for it's players, particularly the guitarists.
QUOTE"]

I respect your opinion and salute you for expressing it in such a mature manner, as I am a super metalhead.
Last edited by Stoner0405 at Jun 17, 2008,
you are all **** suckers and let me tell you why:
Rating a guitarist does not exclusively mean rating his technique.
Current guitarists have developed super technique coz they were able to build on already existing ones. If those early guitarists like Jimi and Eric Clapton had never picked up the instrument, your superheroes of today like Satrial, Malmstein and all these speed freaks wouldn't have known where to step on, couldn't hold a guitar properly.
Music evolves through stepping on former knowledge. Ask em all to tell you their influences and how they feel as guitarists compared to Jimi. I meen he was freakin good considering the level guitar playing had reached at that time.

So, i have to say i enjoy the playing of Rory Gallagher and John Frusciante
Every form of control over another person is a crime

AEK Athens
Asteras Exarcheion
Prasini Thyella
Rayo Vallecano

RED MILITIA-Vamos a Vencer
Guitarists they each have their own great skill
some of them make it quick and some eventually will
But does it really matter who was great
Shouting our opinions about his is better will only create hate
I saw we all just sit back sip a beer and masturbate
With this simple solution world peace can be made
And all our favourite guitarists will get paid
So just keep this **** in your head
Before riots break out and we all end up dead

Yeah, I don't really care
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
Hendrix was good at what he played. Though i find some of his songs rather.....well...****. There are alot better guitarists than Hendrix. I bet Jimmy wouldn't be as ranked as high as he is if he was still alive.

And keeping on track, James Hetfield and Slash should be somewhere high up.
Quote by floppypick
Guitarists they each have their own great skill
some of them make it quick and some eventually will
But does it really matter who was great
Shouting our opinions about his is better will only create hate
I saw we all just sit back sip a beer and masturbate
With this simple solution world peace can be made
And all our favourite guitarists will get paid
So just keep this **** in your head
Before riots break out and we all end up dead

Yeah, I don't really care

Wow!! Are you some sort of freestyle rapper?
Quote by Bertallica
Wow!! Are you some sort of freestyle rapper?

No, I'm a white kid whose bored and should be studying for exams
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

Quote by floppypick
No, I'm a white kid whose bored and should be studying for exams

Me, the same
we should both be ashamed
our ethics is lame
our future's not a game....

AEK Athens
Asteras Exarcheion
Prasini Thyella
Rayo Vallecano

Hendrix isnt the best player ever, thats for damn sure, but he is at number 1 because he really started the enitre rock style. and by that i mean, he really got it more noticed.
Quote by KenMasters
Me, the same
our ethics is lame

terrific. just terrific. have an e-cookie or one of those gay things.. take your pick
Quote by horloko
Yeah I've been told that. I foretell the future in my doodling. I kept drawing me raping my Spanish teacher. Stupid teacher got scared and told on me. I raped her for that.

Quote by caskettheclown
i have a huge schlong.

there you go.

i win
Quote by Rojam
Hendrix isnt the best player ever, thats for damn sure, but he is at number 1 because he really started the enitre rock style. and by that i mean, he really got it more noticed.

Do you need a helmet or something?
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by KenMasters
Me, the same
our ethics is lame

I like your style
Haven't seen something like it for quite some while
And yes I agree our future matters much
school work, job and such
so in a few moments I'll probably be told to go and study
It's to bad I don't have some hot chick to be my buddy

Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

Quote by joeyj123
terrific. just terrific. have an e-cookie or one of those gay things.. take your pick

i choose da cookie..
how do i get one?

AEK Athens
Asteras Exarcheion
Prasini Thyella
Rayo Vallecano