So today, I thought I'd learn a new song. I chose "Tornado of Souls" by Megadeth. Of course, I knew this was going to be no walk in the park, but damn man. I am having trouble with this one riff, and I just can't get it. I've slowed it down, played it at a retarded pace, but just the timing is weird. This is the riff:

Riff 2
e|-----------------------------------|
B|-----------------------------------|
G|---------------------------------7-|
D|-------------------------7---9p7---|
A|-----------7h8p7---7-8h9---9-------|
E|-7--7-9-10------10-----------------|

It's really annoying. I mean, I can't even do sweeps, and I'm having an easier time learning the solo!

Has anyone learned this song?
do NOT play all downstrokes!!!!!!!
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Yeah I had trouble with that too.
I just used guitar pro and slowed it down to 60, then 80,100, etc. until I got it
Just keep at it, you'll get it.
I play it with alternate picking, and usually I'm faster than the song.
Barry White is cooler than you
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I really wish I could say you're funny and cool, but that would be like saying Africa doesn't have a poverty problem.
Yeah I'm still in the process of learning it too.
That part is the only one I'm having trouble with.
I can play all of it apart from the REALLY fast part of the solo as my hands can't stretch that far AND be lightning fast.
Just take each note slowly and figure out the best way for you to play it, I personally use the middle three fingers for it.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
I don't see what's so hard about this riff? :\
I'm a communist. Really.
Quote by Raziel2p
I don't see what's so hard about this riff? :\

You're a commie, you don't see anything

No, srsly, the timings are slightly weird and it's quite fast for the complexity of the pattern
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
use guitar pro, use it to break down the riff in smaller fractions, and have it play them over and over, until you feel you get the "pace" of that part then learn the riff fraction by fraction slowly piecing them together
Quote by Yngwi3
You're a commie, you don't see anything

No, srsly, the timings are slightly weird and it's quite fast for the complexity of the pattern

Well, the only problems I can think of is related to the fingering. The timing is simply switching between triplets and normal notes, and all guitarists need to know that! However, the tab isn't very good - the 7h8p7 looks way slower than it actually is, for example.
I'm a communist. Really.
Last edited by Raziel2p at Jun 17, 2008,
I think there's two 16th notes in there with the hammers/pullofs and the rest is 8ths. Just slow it down and keep at it.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by IHATECHILDREN
Just don't play Megadeth. That solves your problem completely.

Shush.

That riff is a bit tricky but just slow it down. I know what you mean about the timing but play it slowly then try playing along with the record.
Quote by its_alive
rich_sg, I promote you to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. of the Pit. way to speak your opinion.

Quote by ErnieBallfists
RICH_SG you are a filthy person for accusing me of dirty trolling , you are a stiff coconut
I'd say alternate picking, start slowly etc etc

It is do-able, took me a good few go's to get it but got it in the end, helluva fun riff/song to play once you get it though
FALKIRK

We'll win something someday

Quote by Minkaro
Falkirk is the home of runners up.

Check out my Tunes
I use downstrokes on it, it didn't take me that long to get down, but it's easier just to play it slow at first and gradually build up speed.

By the way that's my favorite Megadeth song.
If you haven't already, remember that you can always change up the legato and picking patterns if you find an easier way to play the same notes. You don't have to play it exactly like him. Sometimes it is better to play things your own way, not only because you can adapt them to your technique, but because it also puts your own little twist on the song.
That's the easiest riff i've learned ...it took me the time it takes to look at it.

I suggest practicing independence excercises for fingers. I believe your fingers are acting against you instead of being your slave. I also think you should practice strange fretting excercises.

Just strum these ugly sounding chords.

|---8----------8---------5----------5---|
|---7----------6---------6----------7---|
|---6----------7---------7----------6---|
|---5----------5---------8----------8---|
|------------------------------------------|
|-----------------------------------------|

1 at a time then go back to the first and keep the cycle rolling

Practice this one. It's a Steve Vai excercise. Practice starting with down then up, down, up etc etc.
And then once you got the hang of that, practice it starting with UP then down, up down etc.

4/4
|--------------------|-------------------|---------2-3-4-1-|
|--------------------|-------------------|-1-2-3-4---------|
|--------------------|---------4-1-2-3-|-----------------|
|--------------------|-3-4-1-2---------|-----------------|
|---------2-3-4-1-|--------------------|-----------------|
|-1-2-3-4---------|--------------------|-----------------|

|-4-5-2-3---------|-------------------|-----------------|------||
|---------5-2-3-4-|-------------------|-----------------|------||
|-------------------|-2-3-4-5---------|-----------------|------||
|-------------------|---------3-4-5-2-|-----------------|------||
|-------------------|--------------------|-4-5-2-3---------|------||
|-------------------|--------------------|---------5-2-3-4-|------||
D F O I N N T D
T W H O I R S D
Y O O R U
W S I U L C L K
A M S Y S

Quote by ScreamAim&Fire

Beautiful.
XxLloydxX for president!
Even though I'm english..

Want to hear Super Mario Bros Theme on electric rock guitar? SuperMarioBro
BuyMYMusic
SellMusic
Make sure the notes don't bleed together.
Quote by Roc8995
Thin necks make you play faster because guitars with thin necks sound thin and bad, and you play fast to distract people from the bad tone.
I don't see what's so difficult about this riff. If you're new to alternate picking it's difficult, but I haven't even been playing that long (a year and a half) and I can get that riff down fine.
I remember that riff, i learned that a while back and I actually didn't find it difficult to play. But i like playing lots of off timed riffs, so that could be why. Just keep at it and you will get it.
Ahh, Tornado of Souls...
My band covered that last year for some school thing (we didn't end up playing the thing due to the firing of our drummer though). We'd play it like 15 times straight every practice, and we'd practice multiple days over multiple weeks...
Now none of us can listen to that song (even though I just did).
Founder and Gaz of the Jhonen Vasquez/Invader Zim club. PM me to join.

The Metal Militia
"Banging that head that doesn't bang!"

Quote by -Vogel-
All bow down for the mighty Holy Wars
The only off-time sorta part is the triplets 7h8p7 on the A string or atleast from what I play anyway. I don't find it that hard except I still can't play it perfectly.
Quote by juan Andrés

Sorry awful Anglish.
This a bit off topic, but has anyone heard the new version of this marty friedman put on his latest CD, future addict?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=PWz4SXwa1fY
he completely changed it...and butchered the vocal part.
well, at least the solo is still pretty in tact.
edit: okay, i found out the vocalist is Jeremy Colson. Whoever the hell that is..
Last edited by Pantera90 at Jun 18, 2008,
Quote by Pantera90
This a bit off topic, but has anyone heard the new version of this marty friedman put on his latest CD, future addict?
edit: okay, i found out the vocalist is Jeremy Colson. Whoever the hell that is..

I thought I'd never hear that version again.....

*single tear falls from eye*
Quote by Pantera90

What the hell was he thinking?
Quote by juan Andrés

Sorry awful Anglish.
Quote by Pantera90

Oh, god.....why?
I laugh everytime I hear or read "Tornado of Souls" it sounds like a dethklok song.
thats my only contribution to the thread, sorry
Why you reading this?
Quote by 742627000017
I use my thumb and my johnson

Quote by deanexplosion99
idk what the keys are for but the reason i think its for the floyd rose is because its called floyd rose double locking

Quote by niggafolife
i iz hurr tuh spek da troof abowt muzik