This is purely a guess but this made the most sence too me (i was going too ask about what it was exactly but i had an idea and wonderd if i was correct). Is a interval somthing like how many semi tones it is between a note say if you was in the key of A it might goo A - C but if you was in the key of D would the same interval be D - F?? Is this right if not what exactly is it?

and thanks in advance i suck at theory all iv ever know is about fitting the right scale too the rhythem part for inprov and stuff. im starting too learn it now though im starting with abit off chord theory, well once iv got round too learning all off the natural major and minor scale

Peace
I do believe intervals are the spaces between the botes.

Like the interval pattern for all major scales is w-w-h-w-w-w-h
aka Whole Whole Half Whole Whole Whole Half

(Whole being 2 frets, Half being 1 fret)
that's pretty much right but it isn't really defined as the number of semitones. Intervals have names like perfect fourths and minor thirds.

ex:
C-Db=minor 2nd
C-D=major 2nd
C-D#=minor 3rd
C-E=major 3rd
C-F=Perfect 4th
C-F#=tritone
C-G=Perfect 5th
C-G#=minor 6th
C-A=major 6th
C-A#-Minor 7th
C-B=major 7th
C-C=Octave or perfect 8th
Last edited by SRVNumberOne at Jun 17, 2008,
Quote by SRVNumberOne
that's pretty much right but it isn't really defined as the number of semitones. Intervals have names like perfect fourths and minor thirds.

Fine

Tone Tone Semitone Tone Tone Tone Semitone

happy? lol
It is the distance between notes, but it's not the amount of semitones. There's a name for each distance. One semitone = minor second, two semitones - major second. Look up a chart for the names.
Quote by Macabre_Turtle
It is the distance between notes, but it's not the amount of semitones. There's a name for each distance. One semitone = minor second, two semitones - major second. Look up a chart for the names.

Where? What would this be called?
Also, some intervals have multiple names.
Major third=diminished fourth, augmented fourth=tritone=diminished fifth, major sixth=diminished seventh
Ahh thanks alot. tbh the hardest thing im having with music theory is remembering names of everything like modes and stuff its just i wanted too learn it anyways and im currently trying too move school because mine isnt running music gsce and i wanna do it soo i thought i would get a head start.