I sing in a rock/alternative band. I've thought about playing rhythm as well, but I never really cared for it. Just recently, I've been interested in playing rhythm. But in order to do that, I'll need an electric guitar (duh). I've been playing on a Takamine acoustic-electric for about 6 months, and I believe I should start playing electric. I'm in no rush to play rhythm for the band, but I should probably start learning.

Anyway, I thought of maybe getting a guitar value pack, since I'm a beginner and all. I narrowed it down to two choices:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Laguna-Ultimate-Rock-Electric-Guitar-Pack-with-Line-6-Spider-III-15W-Amp-515247-i1375180.gc

Or

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-IJX40-Electric-Guitar-Jumpstart-Package-518876-i1168525.gc

I played the Laguna at Guitar Center and thought it was a great guitar, but I didn't play the Ibanez. But I was wondering if I can get an opinion, and maybe find out which is a better value. They both come with amps, (I already have a Fender 10W practice amp, although it's not mine) but if I want to play at gigs then I'll need a bigger and better amp. (Not that I'm in a hurry or anything) Should I still go with the value packs? Because everything else they come with (picks, strings, tuners, etc) can be really helpful for a beginner like me.

If you guys know of any other value packs or think I should just buy the guitar, please leave suggestions. It would be greatly appreciated.

And if you need more info, just specify.
Last edited by DrPants PhD at Jun 17, 2008,
If you wanna do rhythmn.
Go with this:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Junior-and-Amp-Pack?sku=513158
Change out the pickup and tuners for something else if you want, but it's a fine starter guitar.
Please do not insinuate anything sexual from that.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
i would personally go for the Laguna one. The spider amps aren't terrible practice amp, and if you're just beginning I'm going to assume you don't need a gigging amp yet.
Guitars
Godin Velocity w/ Schaller locking tuners
Ibanez RG7321 w/ Dimarzio Crunchlab & Liquifire
Seagull Coastline S6 Burst GT QI
Random Ibanez Bass

Gear
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by stevo_92
i would personally go for the Laguna one. The spider amps aren't terrible practice amp, and if you're just beginning I'm going to assume you don't need a gigging amp yet.

Spider amps are polished ****.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
Quote by Iansmitchell
Spider amps are polished ****.

I've heard mixed opinions. I have a friend who uses one and says he loves it. Then again, my best friend (who's pretty much a musical genius) says they're terrible. But it's just a practice amp, and it's definitely better than the current amp I have right now.
how much money do you have? cause starter packs nearly always have crap guitars AND amps. for about 25-50% more money you can get a halfway decent guitar and amp.

I suggest a roland micro cube amp(15 or 30 watt depening on how much money you have) and go to your guitar store and play every upper-low end and mid-range Ibanez you can get your hands on. Cort guitars are good too, so are Yamaha Pacificas and some Squires -i hate the necks on the Teles though- (be sure to plug in and play for a while) if you can, bring a friend that knows more about guitar than you, to point you in the right direction bring him/her along and most importantly dont buy on the same day. sleep on it and think it over. if you're worried your choice woulnt be there the next day explain your situation to the shop-keep and ask them to put it behind the counter or in the back room

good luck!
Why you reading this?
Quote by 742627000017
I use my thumb and my johnson

Quote by deanexplosion99
idk what the keys are for but the reason i think its for the floyd rose is because its called floyd rose double locking

Quote by niggafolife
i iz hurr tuh spek da troof abowt muzik
Quote by plucky duck
how much money do you have? cause starter packs nearly always have crap guitars AND amps. for about 25-50% more money you can get a halfway decent guitar and amp.

I suggest a roland micro cube amp(15 or 30 watt depening on how much money you have) and go to your guitar store and play every upper-low end and mid-range Ibanez you can get your hands on. Cort guitars are good too, so are Yamaha Pacificas and some Squires -i hate the necks on the Teles though- (be sure to plug in and play for a while) if you can, bring a friend that knows more about guitar than you, to point you in the right direction bring him/her along and most importantly dont buy on the same day. sleep on it and think it over. if you're worried your choice woulnt be there the next day explain your situation to the shop-keep and ask them to put it behind the counter or in the back room

good luck!

Thanks man! I brought a friend with me once, but all he did was mock me and tell me I'm like every kid who comes into Guitar Center on a saturday afternoon...

And when I played the Laguna, it was a great guitar. I felt like I knew what I was doing.

My budget is really low, I only have $400. I'm trying to get a job at Jerry's Music downtown, that way I can get more money/get an employee discount. Hopefully.
Quote by DrPants PhD
Thanks man! I brought a friend with me once, but all he did was mock me and tell me I'm like every kid who comes into Guitar Center on a saturday afternoon...

And when I played the Laguna, it was a great guitar. I felt like I knew what I was doing.

My budget is really low, I only have $400. I'm trying to get a job at Jerry's Music downtown, that way I can get more money/get an employee discount. Hopefully.

Dude, seriously the epi pack is good, a friend of mine learned on it, and he's awesome now, he has an epi LP standard now, and put a GFS mean 90 in the junior, and he loves the both. Great blues guy.

Quote by cobain_is_king
Quote by Iansmitchell
Dude, seriously the epi pack is good, a friend of mine learned on it, and he's awesome now, he has an epi LP standard now, and put a GFS mean 90 in the junior, and he loves the both. Great blues guy.

I'll have to think about that. It's cheap, and apparently it's a great guitar to learn on... But for some reason I just feel as if it's not my kind of guitar. I'm going to go to Guitar Center tomorrow, if I can find it I will definitely check it out.
yeah do that DrPants. just cause a guitar's cheep doesnt mean its bad. play it and play it and play it and if it sounds good and feels good go for it.

and sorry about your friend being a dick, oh and good luck trying to get that job at the music shop.
Why you reading this?
Quote by 742627000017

Quote by deanexplosion99
idk what the keys are for but the reason i think its for the floyd rose is because its called floyd rose double locking

Quote by niggafolife
Quote by DrPants PhD
I'll have to think about that. It's cheap, and apparently it's a great guitar to learn on... But for some reason I just feel as if it's not my kind of guitar. I'm going to go to Guitar Center tomorrow, if I can find it I will definitely check it out.

Well yeah, if you could FIND one, i'd suggest a '57 junior reissue, but they're discontinued.
ALl mohagony body and neck, P-100 instead of a humbucker, and better sunburst finish.

But this is a FINE guitar.
GC might have a less-than-great setup, but you'll feel the guitar.
The neck is GREAT for chunkier rhythm playing, IMO.

If it's really not your thing, and you're more into strats, then I'd suggest saving until you have about 400 to spend on a fender standard mexican stratocaster, plus amp and accesories.

Quote by cobain_is_king
Quote by plucky duck
yeah do that DrPants. just cause a guitar's cheep doesnt mean its bad. play it and play it and play it and if it sounds good and feels good go for it.

and sorry about your friend being a dick, oh and good luck trying to get that job at the music shop.

Thanks
Quote by Iansmitchell
Well yeah, if you could FIND one, i'd suggest a '57 junior reissue, but they're discontinued.
ALl mohagony body and neck, P-100 instead of a humbucker, and better sunburst finish.

But this is a FINE guitar.
GC might have a less-than-great setup, but you'll feel the guitar.
The neck is GREAT for chunkier rhythm playing, IMO.

If it's really not your thing, and you're more into strats, then I'd suggest saving until you have about 400 to spend on a fender standard mexican stratocaster, plus amp and accesories.

I was thinking of buying my friend's fender mexican telecaster for $300. Maybe I can get him down to $250 or $275... He also wants to sell me a Gibson SG faded for $475, but one of the tuning pegs broke off (I could use wood glue and put it back on, or try to get it repaired)

Looks like I'll be doing some extensive playing tomorrow, thanks
P-100?
Why you reading this?
Quote by 742627000017

Quote by deanexplosion99

Quote by niggafolife
Quote by sXe170
Go with Epiphone SG starter pack. Thats what i got, best pack around.

Not a bad pack either, but the shared volume and tone knobs aren't my favorite.
But the BEST thing, IMO about epi's is you don't ahve to be afraid to mod them, so you could hardwire the tone and make the pots work for individual volume, so you could use the selector as a killswitch.
Plus, on a dual pickup guitar, it's a bigger hassle to change the pickups and totally change the tone.

Plus, an SG is really a lead-type guitar.

Quote by cobain_is_king
Quote by DrPants PhD
Thanks

I was thinking of buying my friend's fender mexican telecaster for $300. Maybe I can get him down to $250 or $275... He also wants to sell me a Gibson SG faded for $475, but one of the tuning pegs broke off (I could use wood glue and put it back on, or try to get it repaired)

Looks like I'll be doing some extensive playing tomorrow, thanks

Well, the SG is a STEAL, since they're over 700 new, and new tuners is under 30 for 6 on Guitarfetish.

Quote by cobain_is_king
Quote by plucky duck
P-100?

Halfway between a single coil P90 and a humcucker.
Less noisy, but a bit less bitey too.

Quote by cobain_is_king
400? Hmm, let me see.
For Guitar
A squire affinity (They are actually decent)
Dean vendetta (Heard lots of good things)
Yamaha Pacifica
And, theres always this
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Hello-Kitty-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=512071

Amps
Roland Cube
Vox Valvetronix
Any 5 watt tube.

Though really, looking used for say, a Palomino V16 will be by far the best option. Loud enough to gig and sounds great.
Yeah, a hello kitty strat and a blackheart half stack, you'll even have enough left for some pedals.

Quote by cobain_is_king
I actually thought of buying the black Hello Kitty strat a while ago... But I want to play it before I buy it and i'm pretty sure Guitar Center doesn't have it. It's a chick magnet but most people will just think of me as a tool. But I don't care. :p
Quote by DrPants PhD
By the way, how's this:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha-GigMaker-EG-Electric-Guitar-Pack-516049-i1372111.gc

Are Yamahas any good? I'm digging that amp.

Yamahas are extremely cheaply made.
I know someone who had the neck snap from string tension.
on a non-angled headstock.

Crap.

Also, my first amp was a drive, they're... terrible isn't enough to describe.

Quote by cobain_is_king
Quote by DrPants PhD
Damn haha. Thanks for the info.

No prob.
Distortion:
makes your teeth hurt and think your guitar sucks
EQ
Unresponsive and unbalanced
Volume:
The clean has NO headroom, and the distortion is terrible.

Really, you're better off with anything.

Quote by cobain_is_king
The epiphone pack would be a good way to go but one of my friends who's a music whiz started with an ibanez pack like the one you posted, the amp wasn't the best, very few you'll find in a started pack probably will be, but the guitar is actually not awful, he pulled it out of the closet and played it through his classic 50 and it sounded okay, obviously isnt gonna be great but it might last you for a little while
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
Anything Squire is the devil. So far the Laguna looks like the wisest decision...

You need to go used. Besides... beat up crap is cool in Alt rock.

This is the best deal I found for $400

Take a look at this

You want to get brands you know. Because you know them for a reason... better wood, pick-ups, tuners...