I have a Gibson Vintage Mahogany, and it is awesome...well, except for one thing. Lately, I have been breaking strings very often, and the A string actually unwinds near the bridge. The first time it happened was after i broke a string, so I thought the tension change caused by the broken string caused it to unwind, but yesterday it happened again. I was play some Mettalica, and suddenly it unwound. Why is this happening?
P.S. When I shake the guitar there is a rattling sound near the head.
check your tune-o-matic bridge. It rattles because theres too much tension on the string. But the problem is your tune-o-matic bridge. they break because either the saddle the string goes on is too sharp, or you dont use very good strings, haha j.k =]

but your best bet would be the bridge
or the tuners. he said the rattle was near the head. thuis happened to my epiphone after a couple of string changes-maybe new tuners
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
this roller bridge will reduce your string breakage. Next you should replace the tuners to better ones may schaller or Gotoh
if I was to change the tuners and get a basic set-up, how much would guitar center charge me?
Oh my God, I don't know how many times I've said this, but Guitar Center is a bitch. They RIP you off. Do it yourself, easy. The tuners is just a matter of unscrewing the old ones and screwing the new ones in, and you can very easily change the tune-o-matic bridge saddle heights.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
If you have opposable thumbs you can put new tuners in. And learning how to set up your own guitar would be a really good thing to learn. You might have a sharp edge on one of your saddles something a nail file or needle file could fix. Top wrapping on the stop bar will decrease the pressure on the saddles and help cut down alot on breaking strings.