Well, I went to my local music store today to try out some guitars. I tried out about 15, this one that really caught my eyes was a used red Hamer Explorer. It's only $200, and I loved it. The clean was amazing, the distortion was lacking though, the neck pickup was a little noisy. I also do not need cleans because my iceman has some BEAUTIFULLY toned cleans so I'm fine with it. Also, my guitar teacher knows the owner of this store so I can get a discount. So I thought about changing the pickups. I'm mainly a rhythm guitarist, I play Metallica, Slayer, Black Sabbath and so forth and I would want some pickups like that. The store can order Seymour Duncan Blackouts for me, but I'm sure I want to use a set, so, what other pickup could I use with an AHB-1 blackout? I have heard that blackouts blew EMGs out of the water, but, I was thinking putting the Blackout in the bridge and an EMG 60 in the neck. What do you guys think?
Gear:

2004 PRS Swamp Ash Special
Peavey Valveking 212
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Line 6 UX2
i know those guitars are quite nice. But nobody buys them!! There has been one sat in my guitar store at a quite low price for two years now!
kay, maybe for that rattling noise, the best thing to do would be um.

I think you should take a look at all tuner heads and make sure they're all tightly scrwed in cause that maight be a reason for rattling, or even something like the truss rod cover is loose.

for that strings problem, maybe change strings to like a new name or brand or even company, I don't know really, sorry
Current Gear:
New York Pro - 5 String Beaut
Some tom delonge green strat my friend made
Boss GT-6
Eden DC210XLT Metro Bass Combo 500W (if anyone else has this model and has any insight about it, do pm me)
yea they're freakin awesome i guess no one looks past the price tag :/
Gear:

Peavey Valveking 212
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Line 6 UX2
Quote by dudester410

I think you should take a look at all tuner heads and make sure they're all tightly scrwed in cause that maight be a reason for rattling, or even something like the truss rod cover is loose.

for that strings problem, maybe change strings to like a new name or brand or even company, I don't know really, sorry

rattling?

??????

I never said anything about rattling, I just said the pickup was muddy for distortion.
Gear:

Peavey Valveking 212
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Line 6 UX2
Quote by dudester410

wrong thread - http://ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=887338
Quote by Flying Couch
A Hamer Standard? Nice. I'm getting an Explorer, looking into their flametop.

ya I think it's old because it's used and only $200 and the guys at the store play it alot
Gear:

Peavey Valveking 212
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Line 6 UX2
Quote by aeliustehman
halp

Haha! I just realized no one actually answered your question.

Why not just get the neck version of the Blackout if you're getting the bridge one? :/ There are two versions, y'know.

Frankly, though, I think you should just get passives. I don't like actives, especially Seymour actives. But you might look into Dimarzio.
Quote by Flying Couch
Haha! I just realized no one actually answered your question.

Why not just get the neck version of the Blackout if you're getting the bridge one? :/ There are two versions, y'know.

Frankly, though, I think you should just get passives. I don't like actives, especially Seymour actives. But you might look into Dimarzio.

oh so the AHB-1 is a neck and AHB-2 is the bridge? i c
Gear:

Peavey Valveking 212
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Line 6 UX2
Quote by aeliustehman
oh so the AHB-1 is a neck and AHB-2 is the bridge? i c

No, dude - there are two variations on the AHB-1. The AHB-2 is an entirely seperate pickup. They have seperate outputs, so that there is no volume jump when switching between the bridge and neck pickups.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/comparetones/view/19

See where there are two resonance peaks? One for the bridge model, one for the neck model.
oh ok then. So what's the simple difference between passive and active? I know EMGs are active, like the ones Metallica use and they sound good to me
Gear:

Peavey Valveking 212
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Line 6 UX2
FLARBLARG

anyway , actives have no hum and no noise right? Well, I would prefer that seeing as I HATE both of those. All the guitars at my local store must have passives because I had lots of hum so changing the pickups would be a top priority
Gear:

Peavey Valveking 212
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Line 6 UX2
>_______<
Gear:

Peavey Valveking 212
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Line 6 UX2
The EMG 81 is widely regarded as the best metal humbucker for a reason.
It will help you get the sound of the bands you mentioned.

The cool thing is they now make a 81TW which lets you go from humbucker to single coil sound in the same pickup with the flick of a toggle switch.

If you add an 89 in the neck, which is also 2 pickups in one, but has a little mellower output compared to the 81, you'd have a great setup with lots of tonal possibilities.

Check them out. That's my recommendation.
Quote by mr.rs
The EMG 81 is widely regarded as the best metal humbucker for a reason.
It will help you get the sound of the bands you mentioned.

The cool thing is they now make a 81TW which lets you go from humbucker to single coil sound in the same pickup with the flick of a toggle switch.

If you add an 89 in the neck, which is also 2 pickups in one, but has a little mellower output compared to the 81, you'd have a great setup with lots of tonal possibilities.

Check them out. That's my recommendation.

I was thinking 81/60

That's Hetfield's setup and yea I think the toggle thing would be cool. So what are your thoughts on the AHB-1/60 thing?
Gear:

Peavey Valveking 212
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Line 6 UX2
Well, I own 4 guitars with 81's and they produce "THE METAL" sound.

EMG's did it first and I'm sure they do it best because of that.
I haven't heard the Blackouts but thats my thoughts on it.

When you add the versatility of a single coil sound with the same old 81 I'm use to, you have the perfect bridge humbucker in my opinion.

You like I, might not always wanna metal out, so having a lower output option in any position is great for different sounds and genres from blues to jazz.
Quote by mr.rs
Well, I own 4 guitars with 81's and they produce "THE METAL" sound.

EMG's did it first and I'm sure they do it best because of that.
I haven't heard the Blackouts but thats my thoughts on it.

When you add the versatility of a single coil sound with the same old 81 I'm use to, you have the perfect bridge humbucker in my opinion.

You like I, might not always wanna metal out, so having a lower output option in any position is great for different sounds and genres from blues to jazz.

Ok so in your opinion,

81TW/89

so what about

81TW/60
Gear:

Peavey Valveking 212
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Line 6 UX2
Quote by CobbZ
i know those guitars are quite nice. But nobody buys them!! There has been one sat in my guitar store at a quite low price for two years now!

Nobody buying a great guitar means nothing. I mean, I don't know anybody with an Agile 3100, but that doesn't mean they aren't insanely awesome for the price, which they are.

INTOLERANCE IS IGNORANCE

Quote by kosmic
Holy Moses.
haha
If you've read the description of the 60 they say it has a lot of high end which is needed in the neck position to keep it from getting muddy, so it's a good choice.

I like the 89 better because it gives you humbucker and single coil sounds with the single coil mode having less bass and even more high end than the 60.

I've never liked the sound of a neck pickup with distortion used for chords.
It's just to damn muddy, I like the edge of a bridge bucker.
Quote by mr.rs
If you've read the description of the 60 they say it has a lot of high end which is needed in the neck position to keep it from getting muddy, so it's a good choice.

I like the 89 better because it gives you humbucker and single coil sounds with the single coil mode having less bass and even more high end than the 60.

I've never liked the sound of a neck pickup with distortion used for chords.
It's just to damn muddy, I like the edge of a bridge bucker.

my guitar's neck pickup is a DiMarzio D-Activator and it never gets muddy in the neck. And it's passive. I guess I'll go with 81TW/89 then, even though the neck pickup on that guitar might not need changing, I was playing it through a spider III which is why. When I play my ICT through a spider III it is too, so I guess I'll buy the guitar first or try a tube amp at the store.

But, is it better to have the high end of a single coil, or the high end of a humbucker?

think about that one.
Gear:

Peavey Valveking 212
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Line 6 UX2
Last edited by aeliustehman at Jun 17, 2008,