hi dudes
i'm having some problems so i'm thinking about writing some solos or riffs that would sound kinda romantic kinda the thing that would fit a love song.any advice on what scales i should use or any techniques?thanx alot
the lochrian mode sounds kinda sad...

id recomend workin with that
Just play glasgow kiss. It says kiss right in the name!
I decided I want to be more like the people on ug...

Searchbar!!!

That oughta do it.

Time for a supercool guitar demonstration by herman li,

Herman Li- why is this guitar so big?

Stage guy- because its a bass herman

Quote by umbrellacorp
Just play glasgow kiss. It says kiss right in the name!

lol glasgow kiss is an alternate name for headbutt
Last edited by Captain Garry at Jun 17, 2008,
There is no such thing as a "romantic" scale. Scales do not have moods.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Your phrasing can help a lot. Knowing when to play, when to use slides, hammer-ons, etc. is really helpful. Mixing up the tempo to show changes in emotion. Simple things like that can have a huge effect on the feeling.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by metal_john13
hi dudes
i'm having some problems so i'm thinking about writing some solos or riffs that would sound kinda romantic kinda the thing that would fit a love song.any advice on what scales i should use or any techniques?thanx alot

well as mentioned you really could make a love song out of practically any kind of scale. What you should do is listen to some music that is similar to what your after, and try to determine which of its attributes contribute to it being romantic. Then work on including those aspects into your own music.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jun 17, 2008,
it's on the quite riot album...man

I don't what hell sounds romatic...to anyone.
That song use to trun my ex-wife on...So whatever gets her in the mood
is romatic to me.
^Haha, at first I was thinking about the Romantic era in classical music, but now I know what the TS means.

Really, analyze your favorite love tunes and solos, and see what you notice in the phrasing, and how its harmonically structured. Or just think of the person who you're writing this song too, and play with all your... heart!
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
Quote by <vlad>
the lochrian mode sounds kinda sad...

id recomend workin with that
First off its locrian, not lochrian. And locrian is sort of dark and unstable, not very suitably to base a love song off.
Quote by bluesrocker101
^Haha, at first I was thinking about the Romantic era in classical music, but now I know what the TS means.

+1

But, you can really make any scale sound romantic if you try. Feel out the notes that come naturally in your mind. Also, use objects/people/memories for inspiration. It really helps.
█████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████
Portugal. The Man »–
The main characteristics of Romantic music

* A freedom in form and design; a more intense personal expression of emotion in which fantasy, imagination and a quest for adventure play an important part.
* Emphasis on lyrical, song-like melodies; adventurous modulation; richer harmonies, often chromatic, with striking use of discords.
* Denser, weightier textures with bold dramatic contrasts, exploring a wider range of pitch, dynamics and tone-colors.
* Expansion of the orchestra, sometimes to gigantic proportions; the invention of the valve system leads to development of the brass section whose weight and power often dominate the texture.
* Rich variety of types of piece, ranging from songs and fairly short piano pieces to huge musical canvasses with lengthy time-span structures with spectacular, dramatic, and dynamic climaxes.
* Closer links with other arts lead to a keener interest in programme music (programme symphony, symphonic poem, concert overture).
* Shape and unity brought to lengthy works by use of recurring themes (sometimes transformed/developed): idée fixe (Berlioz), thematic transformations (Liszt), leading-motive (Wagner), motto theme.
* Greater technical virtuosity – especially from pianists and violinists.
* Nationalism: reaction against German influences by composers of other countries (especially Russia, Bohemia, Norway)
^lulz

The TS said: "kinda romantic kinda the thing that would fit a love song", not Romantic as in the period of music. I was thinking the same thing though.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
steal some technique from love songs... like love song by tesla and romeo and juliet by dire straits and anything else you want to
Quote by seankellyultgtr
steal some technique from love songs... like love song by tesla and romeo and juliet by dire straits and anything else you want to

I read your sig: http://www.ultimate-guitar.tv/guitar_lessons/steal_this_video_harmonics.html

I didn't want to p.m. that because i don't know if you check that at all. That lesson helped me, hopefully it helps you.

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
dont know how many times ive seen people ask for scales that will make their song sound awesome and magically elevate their play, but the harsh reality is that scales really dont do that at all. simply going up and down any scale does not make it sound beautiful or metal. in order to make solos sound romantic (or any other atmosphere) phrasing and the progression are crucial. that said im not gonna go ove in detail typical romance solos, here are some common ideas that ive found to work:
have the solo build to a climax (that does not imply making the ending just super fast) its means an emotional climax, maybe some well placed bending and vibrato
you dont need to be playing nonstop, empty space can say a lot
half step resolutions sound wonderful in soft solo settings, (but thats just where i hear them occur dramatically)
any way, just study other people's solos ex. november rain, knockin' on heavens door- guns, always with my always with you satriani, mama im coming home ozzy/wylde, wishful thinking - petrucci
absorb as much of others peoples playing as possible
Quote by :-D
I go to college with mattrsg1; for what it's worth he is the best guitarist I have heard in person, and in particular stands out from others in my age group. You will not be disappointed, honestly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJpCZpysf94
Quote by mattrsg1
dont know how many times ive seen people ask for scales that will make their song sound awesome and magically elevate their play, but the harsh reality is that scales really dont do that at all. simply going up and down any scale does not make it sound beautiful or metal. in order to make solos sound romantic (or any other atmosphere) phrasing and the progression are crucial. that said im not gonna go ove in detail typical romance solos, here are some common ideas that ive found to work:
have the solo build to a climax (that does not imply making the ending just super fast) its means an emotional climax, maybe some well placed bending and vibrato
you dont need to be playing nonstop, empty space can say a lot
half step resolutions sound wonderful in soft solo settings, (but thats just where i hear them occur dramatically)
any way, just study other people's solos ex. november rain, knockin' on heavens door- guns, always with my always with you satriani, mama im coming home ozzy/wylde, wishful thinking - petrucci
absorb as much of others peoples playing as possible

damn your totally right lol

seems like very one thinks that if you know modes and all these exotic scales their playing will some how BLOW UP with great melodies and amazing Harmonization(not your normal 3rd and 5th harmony's)all by learning a few scales
well they can do that...but you DO have to understand Phraseing and playing what you want to hear and just playing one scale isnt exactly going to work if you can Bend into other scales would be great most of the time you should be playing in Diatonic
thats how Progressions are made

but yeah mattrsg1 is totally right just because you know a library of scales wont get you anywhere you do have to use your ear

I've met people who know Music Theory and yet cant create Beautiful piece of music just because your following a Chord Progression and your playing in the right key and every thing dosnt exactly mean you'll come out sounding like a musician
i mean no disrespect to them but all i hear is a Chord and a Scale
i dont hear" OH MY GOD I LOVE THAT LINE!" or "...wow that Change right there with the Chord and Melodies just worked so well and it really turns your head when you hear it" that kind of stuff

i dunno im just ranting now lol

try listening to Jackie Presti's "Love Theme"
there really isnt any amazing solo in the song but the song is very well Written very smart complex yet simple

listen how She Phrases when she sings the melody and also how the Chord Progressions change and when i say chord i dont mean Straight up played harmonically chord their Arpeggated too(is that even a word? lol)
the way how their played is so Romantic yet sad very sad actually

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dE6bqvfnPG4

from 2:17 to 2:44 are those Emotional Hits in my opinion
but you have to listen to it from the begining to understand it other wise
you wouldn't be in the right state of mind
it would be like watching a movie with a plot twist and you watch the ending first...lol
Quote by Archeo Avis
There is no such thing as a "romantic" scale. Scales do not have moods.

Actually when scales were first created in ancient greece they were used to portray different moods and feels , and for different occasions.
" Nature has given us two ears, two eyes, and but one tongue-to the end that we should hear and see more than we speak. "
- Socrates

Winner of the John Lewis and Cambridgeshire Music young musician Award 2008
Quote by ChillofWinter
Actually when scales were first created in ancient greece they were used to portray different moods and feels , and for different occasions.

No, certain cultures associated them with certain moods. This is not even remotely similar.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by ChillofWinter

yeah but the scale itself portrays no mood, the chordal progressions based around the modes that the greeks named after their territories defines their mood. (but im not saying happy songs must be in major, im just trying to clarify slightly wrong statements)
Quote by :-D
I go to college with mattrsg1; for what it's worth he is the best guitarist I have heard in person, and in particular stands out from others in my age group. You will not be disappointed, honestly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJpCZpysf94
Quote by demonofthenight
First off its locrian, not lochrian. And locrian is sort of dark and unstable, not very suitably to base a love song off.

I can't quite pin it, but there IS definitely something overtly sexual about the locrian mode and the flattened fifth.

But like you say, it's not romantic, it's more of an 'animals rutting' kind of feeling.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
I can't quite pin it, but there IS definitely something overtly sexual about the locrian mode and the flattened fifth.

But like you say, it's not romantic, it's more of an 'animals rutting' kind of feeling.
I guess, but the sort of feeling I get from the locrian mode is sort of confused, sort of dark and sort of ugly (in a very beautifull way of course). It is sort of sexual, especially the way I've heard it being used by a number of jazz musicians, but unless you have violent sex in a dimly lit room on first dates, its not very romantic.

BTW, if anyone out there wants to sound "locrian" write a one chord song (to get a truly locrian feel, it's best to use only one chord) using the Xm7b5 chord and play X locrian over it (m)ake sure the X's are the same ofcourse).
Use a wah-wah pedal and some slow legato lines. Just listen to 'Love Thing' by Satriani.
You can sound 'romantic' using most scales, I think for that sort of mood it's more about phrasing and your choice of notes.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Quote by duncang
You can sound 'romantic' using most scales, I think for that sort of mood it's more about phrasing and your choice of notes.
+1
I would say something along the lines of November Rain. Slash uses major pentatonics and some other stuff....