Which amp is better for classic rock, hard rock, alternative rock and some older metal? Guitar is an epi les paul btw
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem
most useless response i think i have ever seen on any forum ever.

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
i'd say the peavey one. my dad plays on this amp and especially in the clean channel it sounds fabulous.
the traynor would probably be more suited to your styles since the peavey will struggle to do hard rock and metal. but you still may need an overdrive pedal as a boost.
Quote by mrchow
the traynor would probably be more suited to your styles since the peavey will struggle to do hard rock and metal. but you still may need an overdrive pedal as a boost.

i always thought peavey could provide some pretty hi gain stuff?
^Thats the 6505. Can't judge an amp by the brand. Look at MGs, hard to judge marshall just by those amps.

Either way, I'd go with the traynor since I found it's OD to be very nice and. If you're on a budget a C30 is good too.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by tona_107
i always thought peavey could provide some pretty hi gain stuff?

a classic 30? I'd be VERY INTERESTED if someone posted a video with it playing some Lamb of God or Atreyu or something
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by Kevin Saale
^Thats the 6505. Can't judge an amp by the brand. Look at MGs, hard to judge marshall just by those amps.

Either way, I'd go with the traynor since I found it's OD to be very nice and. If you're on a budget a C30 is good too.

thanks bud
having a/bed the two amps, the cleans seamed on par with each other, but the overdrive on the blue is much better to my ears anyway.
Mesa Lonestar Special
Traynor YCV40WR
Ibanez -Artcore AS103BM
Fender American Deluxe Strat
Analog Man ARDX20 Dual Delay
Red Witch Empress Chorus
Big Muff Pi
Boss BD-2
MXR '76 RI Dynacomp
Fulltone Clyde Deluxe Wah
Jetter Jetdrive
EHX POG
I love the Scorpions but they are hard rock. Either way I have agree with ledrose and say that the traynors OD is better than the C30s.
I own a Classic 50 but did get to try the Traynor YCV50 blue at a local Guitar Center. It was used and at a pretty good price. Anywho plugged her in and got some sweeeeet classic rock crunch. Some nice cleans as well but I don't recall them being overly special, the crunch was where it shined.
Only problem there was probably something wrong with that specific amp being used, because the sound cut out and had some bad static after a while. However when I did play it without problems the YCV50 was a great amp.

The Peavey also gets a good amount of hard rock gain, but it's better for the cleans from my experience.

In short from my own little experience I say Traynor has the better overdrive and the Peavey has the nice cleans. Both are great amps but for your styles the Traynor's gain would probably be better.

This is just my experience though, I recommend trying these amp before deciding as my perception of an amp can be very different form yours.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
i had the same situation as you TS, just look at my sig (i should get around to updating it sometime soon). i think you should go for the traynor. i haven't personally tried it but after some credible reviews and suggestions i would have gone for it but being as i was already pushing my budget i went for the Classic 30. either way both are good choices.
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
TS, I'm deciding between these two amps or saving even more for a JCM 800, and I have an Epi LP. So thanks for saving me some time on a thread.
Quote by darkstar2466
Bigfoot.... The Abominable Snowman.... Chinese Democracy.... all stories, nothing more.

Peavey for best all around.
Traynor only for metal.

I'd def. rather have the classic well known, well loved, peavey that works well all around.
Traynor is just alright for distortion.
Quote by dougl126
Traynor only for metal.

I'd def. rather have the classic well known, well loved, peavey that works well all around.

The traynor is an all around better amp than the c30 IMO
thanks for the replies guys..i think i'll check out both first
i know that my local music store stocks the classic 30s though i haven't played them personally...i dunno if they stock the traynors though
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem
most useless response i think i have ever seen on any forum ever.

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
remember though, traynor comes with a 2 YEAR UNLIMITED TRANSFERABLE WARRANTY. also, it comes with a vintage 30 as a stock speaker. and it is a little bit more than 100 bucks more than the c30 assuming you're thinking of buying either one new. but for used the classic 30 all the way

just my 2 cents
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
I'm in the same situation as hell monkey. I'm not very knowledgeable about amps. Wont a pedal like DS1 solve all problems of gain?
Quote by hendo123456789
invincibleneo - you are one of the only people in this thread that talk sense.
^Considering the DS-1 is horrible, no.

Quote by dougl126
Traynor only for metal.

The Traynor isn't a metal amp. It can do as heavy as Black Sabbath or Iron Maiden, but not much further past that on its own.
how is classic 30 for gnr?
Quote by hendo123456789
The C30 can't really do metal. It can do some hard rock though. But honestly, the traynor will be good for those. I say traynor.
IMO both are good amps. The Traynor out of the box has the edge of the C30, 20 extra watts, better speaker and a slightly better OD. But the Traynors cost more, and are harder to find uses. Both amps can do hard rock at best, mabe get into metal territory with all the right stuff, tubes, speaker, OD, ect, but are not really suited for it.
Quote by Midnight Murk
My bridge pickup is hot, and it can do metal on the same amp setting that my neck pickup doesn't.

Pickups play a big part in how the overall tone sounds. When you can play death metal distortion on a single coil, let me know. Amps play the biggest part in the sound, yes, but the guitar has a LOT to do with the sound as well.

Single coil vs. humbucker sounds isn't about output, it is about overall sound. A really hot single coil won't sound like a humbucker and a weak humbucker won't sound like a single coil. Yeah, different kinds of pups play a big part on tone, but more output doesn't always mean higher gain.
Quote by Midnight Murk
My bridge pickup is hot, and it can do metal on the same amp setting that my neck pickup doesn't.

Pickups play a big part in how the overall tone sounds. When you can play death metal distortion on a single coil, let me know. Amps play the biggest part in the sound, yes, but the guitar has a LOT to do with the sound as well.

Or MAYBE you like your bridge pickup for metal, like EVERYONE ELSE DOES.
No one uses their neck pickup for crunch - it doesn't have any.
Quote by invincibleneo
how is classic 30 for gnr?

It can do alright for GnR, though the lead channel on the amp isn't very tight. So a good overdrive would be good to have if you go that heavy.
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

and btw I have read Boss DS1 on many popular guitarists gear list.....how can you call it bad? Isn't it a standard when it comes to distortion?
Quote by hendo123456789
traynor the peavey dont have the amazing crunch.
There's No School like Old School.

So yeah, i'm getting active again on this fucking website.

FACEBOOK
Quote by invincibleneo
and btw I have read Boss DS1 on many popular guitarists gear list.....how can you call it bad? Isn't it a standard when it comes to distortion?

Well yes and no, alot of the DS-1's used are supposedly modded. Apparently the Keeley Modded DS-1's are great pedals.
I don't know which guitarist use em stock or modded though. I do own as DS-1 though, it's served me well and gotten lots of different tones but the quality of the sound is lacking alot. That's why i'm looking to replace it soon.

For the price it's a great pedals and does alot but if you get something like a Classic 30 you'll want a better distortion/overdrive unit to match up with it.

Of course sound is very opinionated so I suggest trying the DS-1 yourself, but overall if you can get a better pedal go for it.

So Traynor hands down for up-to( but not only) Metallica levels of gain?
Quote by darkstar2466
Bigfoot.... The Abominable Snowman.... Chinese Democracy.... all stories, nothing more.

peavey, b/c imo, the cleans are great and with a nice overdrive (or even a sub par one like my bad monkey) and the channel selector on lead/dirty/overdrive w/e, with it cranked to 12 on preamp, it gets a damn nice metal tone.
Last edited by AJS19 at Jun 18, 2008,
Quote by AJS19
peavey, b/c imo, the cleans are great and with a nice overdrive (or even a sub par one like my bad monkey) and the channel selector on lead/dirty/overdrive w/e, with it cranked to 12 on preamp, it gets a damn nice metal tone.

The traynor has great cleans too though, so you can't really knock it for that.