Page 1 of 5
Bassist of the Month - June.

Today marks the start of the monthly Bassist of the Month threads!

And as a regular contributor to this fine forum, I felt it imperitive that I jump onto this opportunity to make a thread about my favourite bassist.

However, he's not just a bass player.
Oh no.
He's so much more than that. He's a good business man, capable of wowing the world over with his new directions in fashion and commercial convenience. He's an actor. He's done so much for the world in general and so, I'm glad to say, I salute you

PETE WENTZ.

Look at that. The style, the body composition, the sheer ability and confidence pouring out of every orifice on his body.
He has talent, and he's definately not afraid to use it on stage with his band Fall Out Boy.

However, underneath the awesome bassist, there is a person, who we cannot ignore. Pete Wentz was born Peter Lewis Kingston Wentz III, in Wilmette, Illinois, a suburb of Chicago, Illinois.

He is the son of Dale Wentz, a High School admissions counselor; and Pete Wentz II, a lawyer.

He attended New Trier High School and North Shore Country Day School, where he was an all-state soccer player.

After graduating from high school in 1997, he attended DePaul University where he studied political science, dropping out one semester shy of graduation to focus more on music.

Can't you see his dedication to his music? He dropped out of college the semester before finishing. That's how awesome he is as a musician. This man has serious chops.

Not for nothing is he called Pete "Lightning" Wentz.

Not only does he play bass in Fall Out Boy, but he also sings, as can be seen in this photo:

HOLY CRAP! Not only that, but he's so awesome on bass, he doesn't even need to play it when he sings!

HE'S THAT GOOD!

Now, if that's not him about to launch into one of his famous tapping solos, I don't know what it is.

Finally, I bring up this very relevant point.

Look at that photo. Notice who he bears a great resembelence to?

That's right I hear you say!

Our favourite post-traumatic-stress disorder suffering, highly indignant, terribly proper and entirely unstereotypicalised British hero Harry Potter!

Now how can someone who can perform magic such as firing silver substances out the end of his wand and making girls fall in love with him, how can he be bad?

Enough about the person, what you all want to know about is gear and technique.

First of all, his gear:

Pete used to run a Fender Precision Bass into an Ampeg B-2R head and an Ampeg SVT 8x10 cabinet.

However, recently he has been using his signature Precision bass by Squier, which is notable as it has no tone knob, just a volume.

You may be thinking, "that means hes crap!!1!1!!!11". Well it's actually because the tone he gets from his bass and amp set up is so good, he doesn't need a tone
knob. It's that perfect!

Now, onto his technique:

Pete is mainly a pick player, which gives him the biting, agressive tone necessary in the punk influenced music that he plays. Whereas Jason Nestead plays with a
dowstroke to emphasise the beats of the music, Pete plays with his whole arm.

He in fact puts so much power into his picking arm that he has to mute all the other strings just so they don't ring out due to the resonant awesomeness.

An example of his left hand muting all the strings.

Well, that's about it for this Bassist of the Month. Hope you enjoyed it and found it highly instructive in replicating the marvellous sound and stage presence that
Peter Lewis Kingston Wentz III.

Bye for now!
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Last edited by Nutter_101 at Jul 27, 2008,
I am appalled. Why would you do such a horrible thing?!?! No seriously, why?

Edit: my sarcasm detector was broke for a second.
Last edited by hippiebass at Jun 17, 2008,
Quote by smb
Firsties!

What's the best song as an example of Lightning Wentz' clearly unparalleled bass skills?

There are so many to choose from. Just listen to their albums. That's the only way you'll be able to absorb the greatness that is Pete "Lightning" Wentz.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Quote by smb
Oh and do you have any awesome riffs I can use to practice Wentz style LH muting?

Well, I would seriously start off with simple root notes!

We can't all be as good as Wentz when we first try!

Good on you for trying new ideas though. It's definately as tough as double thumping I'd say, but once you get the idea of it, it's invaluble as a technique.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

wow I'm gonna totally sig some of this, you are a joke, wouldn't bassist of the month entail that the person in question is somewhat good at their instrument?
Quote by pwninator123
EPIC LOLZ FROM THE LEFTY!!!!!!

Quote by death.prog
Ugh...

When I brought up this page, so much fail dumped out of my computer screen and all over my hands, severely damaging my ability as a musician.
At first I was about to punch you in the face, but the sheer amount of content in this thread is just un-fucking-bel-iev-a-I-like-it. Sarcasm that's genuinely thought out. And also, a great idea for a monthly column.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Ugh...

When I brought up this page, so much fail dumped out of my computer screen and all over my hands, severely damaging my ability as a musician.
Chris - one more question if I may. I notice in these pictures Pete typically picks around the 17th fret. Is this for tonal reasons?
Quote by smb
Firsties!

What's the best song as an example of Lightning Wentz' clearly unparalleled bass skills?

Lightning Wentz?
the thread said "Lighting Wentz", i guess Lightning does makes more sense =/

and i cant believe i read all of this, he's not as amazing of a bassist as this thread made him seem, but i gotta admit, he is famous i cant argue with making large sums of money..
I breathe air.
Quote by CobbZ
sigged death prog rofl

+1
Quote by pwninator123
EPIC LOLZ FROM THE LEFTY!!!!!!

Quote by death.prog
Ugh...

Quote by smb
Chris - one more question if I may. I notice in these pictures Pete typically picks around the 17th fret. Is this for tonal reasons?

I should expect so. I mean, I obviously can't second guess everything this master of the bass guitar does, but I would imagine it's to prevent the resonant frequencies of the notes from destroying the stadium he's playing in.

That's just my guess though.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

I've been trying for ages to try and get some FOB songs down, but Lightning Wentz's technique is proving a little tricky for me to master. More practise, I guess

But thanks for the article Chris, well written and thought out
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Quote by Lefty7Stringer
wow I'm gonna totally sig some of this, you are a joke, wouldn't bassist of the month entail that the person in question is somewhat good at their instrument?

Fail.

Quote by death.prog
Ugh...

Fail.

Quote by Dead_End
Lightning Wentz?
the thread said "Lighting Wentz", i guess Lightning does makes more sense =/

and i cant believe i read all of this, he's not as amazing of a bassist as this thread made him seem, but i gotta admit, he is famous i cant argue with making large sums of money..

Fail.

Seriously guys, learn what sarcasm is.

On topic, Who were Pete wentz's influences? Could it have been the bass virtuoso that is Mark Hoppus? I see a lot of his style shine through in Wentz's playing.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
I truly hope this is a joke

Quote from the archived "You Know You're a Bass Player..." thread:

"...if someone is talking about Fall out Boys bassist and you go "What bassist?'"

exactly.
Quote by thefitz
At first I was about to punch you in the face, but the sheer amount of content in this thread is just un-fucking-bel-iev-a-I-like-it. Sarcasm that's genuinely thought out. And also, a great idea for a monthly column.

That's right, give CHRIS the praise for the idea that someone else came up with
Quote by Deliriumbassist
That's right, give CHRIS the praise for the idea that someone else came up with
C'mon Ben, don't be jealous. Credit where credit's due - it was a great idea Chris had.
I can't bring myself to this level of sarcasm...

For anyone just passing through, no this is not serious, is all sarcasm, because Pete Wentz is no where close to being any adjective mentioned above.

Although Chris did do he's research, I'd be looking forward to good one over a bassist.
i have his signiture squire it plays like a dream the tone sounds way better then my freinds Rickenbacker 4003 Bass. and Btw has anybody mastered the bassline to "dance dance" yet i cant seem to hit the notes correctly
Quote by postmortem2006

Give him something he can appreciate.

Herpes maybe.
You know Chris I leave you in the forums alone for 2 hours. Sighs....

Very good bit of British humour btw. But I'm still not sticky-ing it.

And what kind of mascara and eyeliner does he use? Because I am dead sure that is what makes his bass playing quite remarkable.
Quote by anarkee
Very good bit of British humour btw. But I'm still not sticky-ing it.
Dammit - we'll just have to keep bumping it for the rest of the month then
Quote by anarkee

And what kind of mascara and eyeliner does he use? Because I am dead sure that is what makes his bass playing quite remarkable.

No I'm positive it's the tight pants, and the hood pulled over his head even though it's a million degress on stage.
That is the best way to get the needed power from the fretting finger when you have so much power from the picking... arm.
I just don't know how he picks up AND down like that. I can only pick UP.

Also, I want to invent quadruple picking. Up/down/left/right.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Thank you SO MUCH for making this thread.

I've felt that Pete has been much like Gene Simmons: Recognized for his celebrity moreso than his true talent: His amazing bass wizardy.

I mean, not only that, but I would totally pound his root note, if you know what I'm saying.
The.
Well he is the master isn't he. Just look at his array of techniques. He can do it all; from picking to picking, from singing to singing; he has got it all. And that is why he earns a lot of money. Kids, this is your example of how to successfully be a god bass player and to earn money at the same time. He was always and always will be my idol
Quote by Funkbass796

Seriously guys, learn what sarcasm is.

I don't mean to seem like a dick here, but I'm pretty sure WE ALL know this is sarcasm.

Most of you seem to think this is pretty funny, therefore, you join in on it.

However, I don't, and I think its a bad joke. That's why I said the fail dumping out of the computer screen thing.

No offense to you, Nutter, and fellow UGers, just making something clear.

EDIT: However, that Harry Potter/Pete Wentz fusion picture is priceless.
Last edited by death.prog at Jun 17, 2008,
Quote by death.prog
I don't mean to seem like a dick here, but I'm pretty sure WE ALL know this is sarcasm.

Most of you seem to think this is pretty funny, therefore, you join in on it.

However, I don't, and I think its a bad joke. That's why I said the fail dumping out of the computer screen thing.

No offense to you, Nutter, and fellow UGers, just making something clear.

EDIT: However, that Harry Potter/Pete Wentz fusion picture is priceless.

Good for you. But if you think it's a bad joke, why bother entering the thread again?
Page 1 of 5