I'm willing to buy my second guitar after playing 4 years with a squire strat and now i really want something good. I'm giving up to 1600euro [~2470$ i think] and i want a guitar that will last for years..

I play mostly metal, rock to practise and some funk,reggae and ska rhythms with my band. Tell me what i should check out because i'm quitting the idea of the jem 555 from what i ve read on the review in here.
It will also be a new one and im thinking of a solid-state one and propably this marshall MG250DFX..
...NO. Do NOT get a solid-state and do NOT get that Marshall. What is your budget for your amp?
Well, considering you're in the UK, I'm thinking you should check into some Laney's. I'm not experienced with them, but hopefully someone else will come along. Spend more money on your amp than your guitar and what kind of metal?
i play let's say neoclassical solos (nevermore-style) and some hardcore/heavy metal leads (lamb of god-style)..
Quote by Iceman 420
...NO. Do NOT get a solid-state and do NOT get that Marshall. What is your budget for your amp?

Nothing wrong with solid-state.

You should spend more on the amp than the guitar. A fantastic, amazing guitar will sound pathetic through a bad amp, but a mediocre guitar will sound great through a good amp.
Your gonna need a Tube amp with a good OD pedal. And Guitar wise your gonna need some VERY versatile I can't help you with the amp but heres a few suggestions for the guitar.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_rg2550zgk.htm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_american_deluxe_fat_strat_rwmb.htm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/epiphone_lpcustom_elitist_wh.htm
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Epiphone G-400
Cheap acoustic

Roland Cube 30X
USA Big Muff PI
Dunlop Crybaby Wah GCB-95
Split the budget between guitar and amp is my only advice. Nothing is worse than having a nice guitar and a ****e amp. Trust me.
This space foreclosed, due to the ailing economy.
Well...For the guitar:

Clicky

Amp..Look at some Mesa/Boogie. might have to be used, not sure about the currency conversion.
My Gear:
Yamaha FGX720SCA
My Schecter C-1 plus can do all the genres you mentioned very well. They cost about 600 usd. (don't know the conversion, sorry) I can't really help you with the amp.
I'd suggest a good ESP, like an EC, depending on what you like.

They're great for metal, and if you still want to do other genres, just get ones with SD passive pickups. Playability and comfort to you are the biggest factors in the guitar. The tone is mostly in the amp.

And for the love of God, don't get a solid state. Get a tube, or at least valve.
Quote by Delanoir
I'd suggest a good ESP, like an EC, depending on what you like.

They're great for metal, and if you still want to do other genres, just get ones with SD passive pickups. Playability and comfort to you are the biggest factors in the guitar. The tone is mostly in the amp.

And for the love of God, don't get a solid state. Get a tube, or at least valve.

Whut..? tube = valve valve = tube

Anyway, the VC is a good amp, but it wont really do metal, too vintagely voiced for most, unless your talking Maideny/Judas priest stuff, which could be managed with a boost, otherwise a seperate high gain modernly voiced pedal for distortion would satisfy, but wouldnt be great.
Last edited by beckyjc at Jun 18, 2008,
ESP Horizon FR II is in that price range. Very versatile guitar and a super looker!
If you prefer the sound fo a Les Paul then why not take a look at ESP Eclipse series or why not make it a Gibson.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R