Hey guys, wonder if you could help me out.

My band has been practising for a while now, and we have a lead guitarist (me), bassist, drummer and a rhythm guitarist/vocalist. The issue we're having is finding a permanent vocalist - we've asked around and there's no-one locally who seems to be interested.

The twist is that our rhythm guitarist used to be the full-time vocalist, but he said a while back that he didn't feel he had the confidence to sing for us in a live scenario, and so got himself a guitar and learnt to play pretty quickly. He's decent (pretty damn good really given the short time he's had), but its clearly still new to him in some ways.

The thing I need advice on is how best to raise this guy's confidence levels high enough to encourage him to sing again. He's got a pretty good voice; he still sings a lot of the songs during practises, and he tends to stick to vocals whenever we take downtime to play Rock Band. He's also a really great guy and easy to work with, and would be an ideal choice for a vocalist.

If the only issue here is raising his confidence to want to sing to a crowd at a gig, how would we as a band go about doing this?
Guitars:
Ibanez SZ520QM, G4M Strat Style Guitar

Amps:
Laney VC30-212, G4M 15W Practise Amp

Pedals:
Boss BCB-60, CS-3, OD-3, DS-1, Jim Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Zoom 505 Mk.II

Keyboards:
Yamaha PSR-290
I would do a recording. Rough draft or a you tube video just messing around. Get the feed back on the vocals and chance it. What really could one lose. More confidence? I don't think so don't tell him unless you get good feed back.
i say you post a video on youtube of him singing with the band and then all us UG'ers will praise him
unless hes bad then we'll chide him out of his confidence
Practice enough so that he's comfortable with it.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Film it, youtube, wait for the opinions on the vocals, then tell him that his voclas are good and he should try and do both guitars and vocals
Quote by j00000
i say you post a video on youtube of him singing with the band and then all us UG'ers will praise him
unless hes bad then we'll chide him out of his confidence

That's the way, no mercy! I agree put it on youtube (or put an mp3 on here) we'll all tell you what we think.