Ive decided to get a fender for my first guitar. I'm just trying to decide whether to get a Mexican made one or an American made one. I understand that Mexican made ones are cheaper, but have a much lower resell value(though i don't think i plan to resell it) and have worse electronics. Should I dish out a couple hundred more to get better quality?
If you can afford an American, and you're sure that you want to buy a guitar with that kind of price tag, go for it.

What amp are you thinking of getting?
Mexician strat for you dude. No point getting a squier if you can afford the MIM Strat then go for it, learn on a decent guitar man. I have the Fender MIM Strat and hell its a beauty.
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Epiphone G-400
Cheap acoustic

Roland Cube 30X
USA Big Muff PI
Dunlop Crybaby Wah GCB-95
Agreed. I got a squier Telecaster about 4 years ago for 249 USD. It's a great guitar for starting, and if need be I would use it today as a backup. I wouldn't spend too much money until you know what kind of playing style you want to use the most, and you are ready for a good guitar. Better guitar, that is.

Gear:
Rickenbacker 620
Vox Valvetronix AD60VTX
Snarling Dog Whino Wah
Not Enough cables
I can't relate to the never ending games you play.
Go with the MIM if you cant wait. The differences between the two are very little. My MIA is actually not as great a guitar as my brothers MIM he just bought. Could be mines getting a bit old though.
Second hand MiJ would be my advice. If you can pick up a nice mid 80's one too, they're very hard to beat.

Or hell, you can sometimes get a nice second hand MiA for not much more than a new MiM. I know which I'd go for.

Buying brand new just doesn't make sense most of the time when it comes to guitars.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
I personally love my MIA Standard. It depends on what you want to spend; I see a huge jump in quality when comparing MIA and MIM.

If you have a limited budget, split it evenly on a guitar and amp.
get the mim and a fender blues junior

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

There is a big difference between the two, but I have a Mexican one, and I don't plan to get an American one for a while, they're pretty good guitars. I'd go for one.