Hey so I have this performance on Friday. We're playing Red House by Hendrix so we don't need to rehearse since it's only a 12 bar blues. The problem is that I'm having a lot of trouble finding a bassist. I'm debating whether I should just tell them I can't do it (they wouldn't mind) or just play with drums and guitar. What do you guys think?

I really wanted to play, but if drums and guitar only is stupid I guess I wont.
The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly you discover that there is no reason.-John Cage
Just drums and guitar is pretty cool, cos you don't have anyone else to keep in tune with. You can insert any random chord and it won't clash with anything but your previous chord.
Quote by blue_strat
Just drums and guitar is pretty cool, cos you don't have anyone else to keep in tune with. You can insert any random chord and it won't clash with anything but your previous chord.

So you think I should do it? I'm kinda leaning towards yes anyway because I doubt most of the people I'm playing for will be able to hear the bass anyway.
The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly you discover that there is no reason.-John Cage
Quote by blue_strat

this

i'd do it man, it should sound alright without a bass
I breathe air.
sure, why not? if your that worried, record the bassline using audacity or somethin, make it an oc tave lower (with audacity, you go to effects>change pitch> then change keys, like E down to E) and burn that on a disc and run it through the PA for a bass, or, use a digitech whammy pedal
It won't sound bad if you and the drummer are playing pretty tight, I'm not saying bass is superflous in modern music but you guys can do without for a show or two. I say go for it.
Quote by J-Spoon
I did a forward roll into a backflip, caught the les paul and blasted out a face melting version of stairway to intimidate this mentally retarted kid on life support in a wheelchair that was trying to play it through an MG. What a loser.
Do it. But only if you practice. Unless you've played w/ this drummer alot before, you need to practice no matter how simple the song is.
Being a bassist myself, it's hard to judge. However, since it is a live performance, you guys should be fine.

What kind of cabinet does the guitarist have?
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
in a lot of bands bass is only neccesary for rythmm. I prefer when there is only one guitar and bass still leads, though some bands pull it off to make the bass lead while playing with 3 guitars.
Yeah it's off topic, but it kinda comes down to the fact you can play this song without bass, cause it would only keep rythmm anyways.
Another idea is to plug in on two amps setting the bass on one of them pretty high.
nah dude, bass holds the whole thing together. two guitars would work, but one guitar just sounds really empty. what blue strat said is completely wrong because staying in tune with a bassist isnt a problem at all. if you know what key your playing in, its pretty hard to make your guitar part sound wrong.
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah
Yeah you're in the clear dude, plus, Noel Redding was a ****e bass player indeed, so it probably won't be missed that much.
Quote by blue_strat
Check this out for an example of how it can work outside of the White Stripes.

he has funny hair
Quote by saxaxe
YESI love you.

Quote by Wulphy
Ever stuck their finger in their ass, just to see what it was like? I did

Quote by thewho65
My sister has a big ass
is it just two . or is it you, and two others, if so, then just get the other guitarist to take the bass, either way it doesnt matter
go for it.
atleastyou get a chance to play
Quote by Sloopy
I'm not in a wheelchair, but I own one just for fun.
if it's just one guitar and drums, you'll have to do nothing but play steady chords to keep the backing of the song up. otherwise it'll sound AWFUL. imagine singing the line over nothing but a drum beat and someone doing some lead lines. even in my imagination it sounds bad. so if you're going to do it, you'll have to just play the chords, and you won't get to do the solo, unless you find some creative way to do some like arpeggios for each chord in the progression, making it both supportive to the song, and more creative than just playing the chords.

if you own a bass, just find any guitarist and force them to do it for you. if you don't own a bass, you're going to have to actually go WAY out of your way to find one. talk to everyone you know, have them talk to everyone they know. have your friends tell their friends that they should ask everyone they know to find ANYONE who owns a bass guitar. unless your town is devoid of bass guitars completely, you'll find one.

don't you know any local bands? ask their bassist to do it, even if you don't know him.
Well, the thing is, with most school talent shows, the people organizing it usually make you turn down the bass amp so much that you can't hear it anyways.

So it won't matter.
The.