Alright, here's the deal. I'm trying to use MY money to buy a new amp (head and 2x10) to take off to college with me. However, my parents are preventing me from doing so because they think I won't have enough time to use it.

So, my question to all of you older members who are in/have been through college/university is:

A) Did you take an amp with you?
B) Are you happy you did?
C) Did you have time to play your bass?
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
I took my MAG 410. It was handy for parties. I'm glad I did even though it got me some shit from the wardens in the halls, and the neighbours when I moved into a house. I had plenty of time to play - I got a couple hours pretty much every day and I took a pretty intensive course.
i have my 30 watt, its never overly loud and i get plenty time to practice as im only in 8 hours a week
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Not in college yet, but I don't see why not. I wouldn't buy a rig just for college though. A nice combo would be more convinient but SMB seems to had loads of fun with a 4x10.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
I took my guitar stuuf to college and played in a band while there, unless you take a very difficult course load or do a lot of extra-curricular activities you will have plenty of time to use it.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Funkbass796
they think I won't have enough time to use it.

I spend 3 hours in class, 5 hours doing other work for class and 8 hours sleeping. That gives me 8 free hours.
I'm currently in University and taking my guitar was one of the best things I did. I just braught a little 10 whatt practice amp and then when I came home hooked it up to my big amp and rocked out. It's surprising how when you leave and then come back how much you've improved. I would highly recommend bringing it to school with you
I don't see why you shouldn't be able to, if you manage your time well. As a point of reference, Tom Morello claims that while he attended Harvard, he practiced guitar 8 hours a day. And he was able to graduate. So I think fitting in half an hour or an hour shouldn't be a problem.
u dont need buy a new amp for a college dorm i took up my 30 watt amp n that was plenty loud even just turned up half way with the door open almsot everyone on ur side of the hall can hear it

and you should have a few hours to play i played around 2-3 not even trying to you play a lot when ur bored/ppl are in classes and your not
Quote by fudger
u dont need buy a new amp for a college dorm i took up my 30 watt amp n that was plenty loud even just turned up half way with the door open almsot everyone on ur side of the hall can hear it

and you should have a few hours to play i played around 2-3 not even trying to you play a lot when ur bored/ppl are in classes and your not

It's not that i'm buying a new one for college, but because I want something I'm able to jam with and that doesn't distort when I turn it 1/3 of the way up.

Things to come:
Do you guys have enough time for gigs/band practise during college? Did you use a miked pracice amp/PA or gig amp for gigs if you had any at college?
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
I dont know what kind of pussy 30 watt amps these people are talking about, but thats WAY too loud.
In your room a small amp is necessary, but bringing an instrument is great.
You'll have plenty of time unless you actually study, have a life, spend too much time on the internet, or are drunk the whole time.
Other than that, a nice low wattage amp can get you by and maybe you'll meet some guys and jam or make a band
Im leaving after this summer, taking my old combo amp, and I'll have to use it as Im a music education major. lol
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
I took my guitar, amp and clarinet to college. I found even with a full class load I as able to handle practice and probably the most gigging I've done in my life.

Plus its a great ice breaker with new people and I can guarantee if you get a band together, you won't lack for beer on weekends. I played alot of parties in college.

Do you really have issues with amps being too loud? As long as it wasn't finals or study hours, no one really cared how loud anyone played their instruments or stereos in the dorms when I was in Uni. I had a 100W amp and as long as I didn't crank it to 11 it wasn't' a problem.
i lived in a dorm last year, and a a computer science major, i'd have gone insane without my bass. I had my 20 watt Drive cb200 combo with me and would manage to get complaints from people 2 floors down, but it was totally worth it, since playing unplugged sucks, especially if you're used to playing with an amp. Next year i;m bring down my 400+ watt half-stack (possibly full stack by then) and building a studio in my apartment. That's the completly opposite end of the spectrum, but my point is: Bring your bass and bring your amp, you will regret it if you don't.
Traben Array
2x Tech21 Sansamp RBI Bass preamps
450w Power Amp
2x Gallien-Krueger 410
-
Handmade nylon-string classical guitar
-
Jackson DXMG Dinky
Line 6 Spider 2 250w combo
-
Various Lee Oskar and Honer harmonicas
-
Yamaha YPT-310
Im in college right now and without my bass and guitar stuff I would probably go crazy. Practicing and gigging is a great release from the grind. Time shouldn't be an issue. Im a pre med student so im actually in class and/or lab for about 25 hours a week (a hell of a lot). Its very time consuming but I manage to play in three bands and gig at least two nights a week during the school year.
You'll have SO MUCH time to play. I would play bass while doing my readings or doing whatever coursework didn't involve writing or typing. You'll play a helluva lot.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by dougl126
I dont know what kind of pussy 30 watt amps these people are talking about, but thats WAY too loud.

A 30 Watt bass amp is nothing, that's practise amp territory
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
A 30 Watt bass amp is nothing, that's practise amp territory

Completely true, but still too loud for dorm living. I swear it sounds louder outside of the room (with the door closed) than inside when you're practicing bass. Bass frequencies are hard to deal with when you live in a place where you can fully hear people's conversations in the next room over.
Quote by dougl126
Welcome to the bass forum. Sometimes my 400W Ashdown isn't enough.
Bass is a real issue when you're in accomodation, though. Bass frequencies vibrate straight through floors, walls, ceilings...you'd better hope you get on really well with the people living around you, because they will know every time you turn your amp on. My accomodation has thick walls and you can tell when someone is listening to music loud, because you can hear the bass. Nothing else, just the bass.

I'd suggest taking the amp, but be prepared to use headphones a *lot*.
But do you guys find time to do gigs, and what do you usually do for gig amplification during college?
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
My freshmen year I had to live in a dorm so I could only bring my 30 watt, and I had alot of free time to play
I can't comment on the gig amp situation, since I was a guitarist back then.

On the gigs--unless you are going to school and working 3/4 time job, having time is not a problem. Its also fairly easy to network and get gigs, since there were always parties, local clubs / bars/ restaurants that cater to students that at least in my case, that were happy to have student bands play and get all of their friends who showed up to pay good money for food and drink.

There was always people to play with as well and people willing to blow off some steam in just jamming. In the musicians vernacular, it was a good gig.
Where there are students, there are pubs. Most pubs around my uni have bands pretty much every night.
Alright, i'm liking the response. My parents have given in and decided to let me buy an amp, so first i'm going to try to find a nice cheap combo off of ebay, and if that doesn't work out then I'll just get the MAG 210 combo and use my pandora for headphone practice at night.

I think that will work.

Things to come:
I have a 70W GK combo and I'm in college, it has been great. Yeah, for practicing I need to have it at a very quiet volume, but when I want to jam out with friends or play when nobody is around, I have plenty of power to rock out. An amp at college is totally worth it and totally doable.
I try to live my life by the old Latin proverb...

“It is well to remember that there are five reasons for drinking: the arrival of a friend, one's present or future thirst, the excellence of the wine, or any other reason.
I'm an engineering major and I've found enough time to practice regularly. Just make sure it has a headphone jack.