I have a Squier P-Bass (Piece of ****, I know) I'mma be buying a Fender Jazz in a few months/next year.

Anyway, when I'm playing something fast on the E-string, my string keeps slapping up against my frets making an annoying slapping sound. It'll sometimes happen on the A string as well but it's much more rare. Does this happen to anyone else? Am I doing something wrong, is it my bass? It's really discouraging me from using the E string.
Try a heavier set of strings, and use a lighter fingerstyle/picking action. You'll find being lighter with the right hand helps you play faster too.
If you don't like the sound of the strings hitting the frets then you will have to adjust your technique to stop this from happening.

Try attacking the strings lighter and closer to the bridge.

I personally like the tone i get out of my fender when there is a bit of clacking, and i incorparate this into my playing style and sound.

xx

EDIT: Damn smb beat me too it :P
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
indeed, this happens when you are attacking with a lot of force, you may want to tone down the force and use a lighter touch (turn up the amp for the volume dont turn up your finger force!) you may also want to change the angle of attack.
This can happen when you finger run with a downward fasion ie. fingers nearly hitting the body of the bass. Tilt your hand a little
Quote by MoshPitRock
ANIMALS LIE DOWN.
that's just what they do.
there's probably humans doing the same thing.
quit being so paranoid.