Hey. I don't really have a problem I'm just wondering how the 3 humbucker les paul works (I have one). Does each switch position represent a different pick up or does the middle one always effect it?

Also I got an EMG 81 put in the bridge position. But I have the stock pup's in, which are passive. I have the same pots for the 2 other pick ups so would I be able to just swap another passive pick up (Seymour Duncans) into it?

If thats a yes I'm really pumped, that guitar tech did an f'ing amazing job on it. He completely cleaned up the wiring in there, which is great and I only have 2 pots changed (volume n tone for lead).

Sorry if this is wrong forum, imo the responses here will be a lot more valid as these guys usually know their stuff.
ok, good reply straight to the point haha. So do you know how the switch position works? Does it always use the middle pick up or does it select 1 or something?
From what I've heard the center position uses all three pickups; it's the only one that uses the center pickup, though you could get the switching redone if you really wanted.
Make sure you get a radio transmitter to connect it to your amp wirelessly so you can make a Spinal Tap cover band.
Quote by stevenpollock
You can't be successful in Jazz music until you're at least 40. You don't have anything to say.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Doesn't it sound like crap when you use EMG 81 with the other pickups? Or did he put a buffer in there?

Not sure what you mean by buffer but no it dosen't. No hum or anything, good harmonics... not so good clean thats why I'm going to get a passive for the neck.
Should I tighten the string past normal tuning so it stretchjes out and keeps better tuning?
wont there be a noticable volume drop if you switch from an active to passive hb? ive heard of quite a few poeple usiong an 81 with a sd alnico pro2 and having good results, but like i said i heard there was a volume drop between active n passive
The best way to stretch out strings is to physically pull on them until their tuning stabilizes. I also try bend strings as far as I can. I then strum as hard as possible. Once they stand up to this they are all the way stretched out.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
no the volume is exactly similar. If there is one though I'm sure I can make a difference with a volume pedal, so it shouldnt matter too much.
Quote by dustyboy316
no the volume is exactly similar. If there is one though I'm sure I can make a difference with a volume pedal, so it shouldnt matter too much.

Heh, "exactly similar". That's one of the funniest things I've heard today.
Quote by stevenpollock
You can't be successful in Jazz music until you're at least 40. You don't have anything to say.
Quote by dustyboy316
Not sure what you mean by buffer but no it dosen't. No hum or anything, good harmonics... not so good clean thats why I'm going to get a passive for the neck.

What I mean is, when you use the EMG with the other pickups. Like if the EMG is in the bridge, do you use it with the middle, and it sounds funny.
Maybe your tech runs an additional circuit (the buffer) that taps power from the 9v used by the EMG.