What are your opinions on the 24 fret necks that you can buy from warmoth that fit a standard fender. Here is an image of one below:

Do you think this would be a good idea to extend the range of a typical Fender bass or do you think the lack of fret access makes it useless for everything but tapping?

xx
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
the second one.
spaghetti-etti-etti
you fill me up with you carbohydrates
and energize me with simple sugars <3
It will probably need an increased cutaway, but be warned it will not fit Jazz basses or other basses with neck pickups because it will not have any room.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Quote by kranoscorp
It will probably need an increased cutaway, but be warned it will not fit Jazz basses or other basses with neck pickups because it will not have any room.

Nah it will fit a jazz bass as the neck pickup is quite far away from the neck, it is more of a middle position. I thought the same as you did when i first saw it, but i measured it and it should fit fine. You are right in saying that it will not fit a bass that has a pickup right next to the neck, for example an SG bass

xx
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
Last edited by shinhoman at Jun 17, 2008,
Oh, then go for it, warmoth makes nice necks, and there is no negatives to having an extended fretboard.

Oh, make sure to get extremely rare and odd sounding woods for the neck, imagine telling all of your friends that you have a bacote neck with a brazillian rosewood fretboard.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
1960's Banjuke
Ironically im not looking to buy the actual neck
I am just really bored and wondered what people's opinions are of it.

It has actually given me rather a good idea.

xx
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
Quote by kranoscorp
Oh, then go for it, warmoth makes nice necks, and there is no negatives to having an extended fretboard.

The major negative is that you have virtually no fret access, unless you treat it like thumb position, which I've seen people do.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
The major negative is that you have virtually no fret access, unless you treat it like thumb position, which I've seen people do.

True, but apart from this con, i cannot really think of any others. Can anyone think of any other disadvantages?

xx
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
Even if it is the only disadvantage, its still a big one. Whats the point of having 24 frets if you can only hit 21 of them?
spaghetti-etti-etti
you fill me up with you carbohydrates
and energize me with simple sugars <3
Quote by not wisniewski
Even if it is the only disadvantage, its still a big one. Whats the point of having 24 frets if you can only hit 21 of them?

i suppose you would have to play the high notes like a double bassist would, by this i mean stretch your hand accross the body of the bass. This picture might help explain:

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
Quote by jazz_rock_feel

That is not technically considered a negative. Adding the extended fretboard does not hurt your playing ability at all, actually using it is an entirely different matter.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
1960's Banjuke
get an all ebony one. punch out the wazoo.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom