The title pretty much says it all. I dont really know mutch about good metal stuff, but i mostly play in drop b. I have a line 6 variax 300, and a VOX AD30VT. Its alrite, but doesnt have that mean tone im looking for. I was thinking about getting the Line 6 Spider III 75. looks good. Dono how it is for metal. I was also gunna get the pod xt live, along with the workbench softwear to make good custom guitars for what i play. just want pplz opinion and what they think of this for drop b stuff. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. money isnt an issue but no rediculesly expensive prices.
Thanks to all who reply!
for one dont get the spider it is not good for anything, just because it has lots of presets and built in effects doesnt make it good.
GEAR
Jackson JS30WR with EMG 81/85
Dean Vendetta
Peavey Valveking 212 (tung sol 12ax7 - JJ6l6gc)
Ibanez TS9
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2

Quote by insanitytheband
Hey Im Looking For Some Tech Death Metal In D

Quote by alexyeung
try anything form avenged sevenfold

wtf?
i say go for the spider 3, but go right to the half stack.

and if you want a good drop b setup, look for something with a larger scale and have it adjusted by someone at guitar center or a music shop so that it plays well.

an ESP or a Schecter would probably be good.
i play in drop c with my ibanez+floyd rose...it was a bitch to get tuned because the guy working on it kept complaining about how flyd rose and drop lower tunings dont mix, so stay away from a floyd rose on the guitar. especially if ur a noob.
i play with a spider 3 75x2 head and a marshall cab, and im really happy with it. you can customize it and actually get great tone for metal out of it. so go for it.
Quote by jamscopti
i say go for the spider 3, but go right to the half stack.

and if you want a good drop b setup, look for something with a larger scale and have it adjusted by someone at guitar center or a music shop so that it plays well.

an ESP or a Schecter would probably be good.

I honestly hope you were being totally sarcastic about the spider half stack. If you weren't, you have alot to learn buddy.
Gear:

Guitars
Martin DSR
Taylor 214e
Fender Strat
Epiphone 335 Dot
Carlo Robelli Acoustic

Amps+Effects
1978 Fender Pro Reverb
Boss Blues Driver
Boss Super Overdrive
EHX Holy Grail
Boss DD-20 Giga Delay
Quote by FMNStratGuy
I honestly hope you were being totally sarcastic about the spider half stack. If you weren't, you have alot to learn buddy.

I'm not your buddy, guy.

But I honestly DO NOT have any idea why people have problems with the Spider half stack. Fill me in?
don't make the same mistake I did. When I was a dead beginner, I was convinced by a salesperson that the Spider III was great, all these effects and channels and f#$%^ing Christmas lights. Now that my ear has developed a lot, I can really hear just how thin and fizzy the distorted channels are and that it really isn't possible to get a decent tube like clean, overdrive or distortion.

Save some money, and buy a decent tube combo, maybe a used 5150 or 6505 for what you want to play? Or certain mesa's might be what your after.

But seriously, when I have enough cash, I'm going to get a decent tube amp (would have been a Boogie Mark IV but they've been discontinued, so bring on the Mark V!) and then I am going to sacrifice my Line 6 P.O.S and send it to hell!
Last edited by Lrn2shrd69 at Jun 17, 2008,
i'm not a dead beginner at all, but i dont have any problem with the half stack at all. maybe i just don't know **** about stacks.

i do like 5150s, and mesas, but they're so goddamn expensive. i could just get the head and then a different cab though, does that make a huge difference.?
Quote by jamscopti
i'm not a dead beginner at all, but i dont have any problem with the half stack at all. maybe i just don't know **** about stacks.

i do like 5150s, and mesas, but they're so goddamn expensive. i could just get the head and then a different cab though, does that make a huge difference.?

I emphasise the word used. Just make sure you look at the age of the amp, condition, age of tubes, repair and modification history etc before buying and if possible, try before you buy.

A 5150 or 6505 2x12 combo cranked will be louder than a Spider III halfstack but more importantly the tone will be far better for any type of music you want to play.

On cabs, yes they do make a difference. The wood used to construct them, the speakers used, grill type and material will all affect sound. If you want to read more about cabs read this:

http://www.guitarsatbmusic.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6084
Spiders suck. A used 5150 would work great for metal.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
the 6505 would be great, but i dont do giggs, mostly jamming with my friends and practice, mit gig in a wile (once i get better lol) bui im thinking of a one piece thing. OKOK, i guess the spider isnt great, but any other sugestions? (just one piece thing, no cabs or stuff like that)
5150 combo then. It gets it's gain from preamp saturation so it still sounds pretty good at bedroom levels. Tube amps sounding bad at low volumes is a myth anyways, they just sound better when they're cranked.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Ben12321
the 6505 would be great, but i dont do giggs, mostly jamming with my friends and practice, mit gig in a wile (once i get better lol) bui im thinking of a one piece thing. OKOK, i guess the spider isnt great, but any other sugestions? (just one piece thing, no cabs or stuff like that)

Randall RG50TC.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ3kd3_CiTI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4DUQf8YaIQ
Look up more videos.
Quote by jamscopti
I'm not your buddy, guy.

I'm not your guy, friend.
I got some good guitars, yo.
Quote by jamscopti
I'm not your buddy, guy.

No you're not.

He's dead
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Ben12321
do they even make the 5150 any more?

No. It's been renamed to the 6505 - hence why we're saying used
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
I recommend a 6505 and a Dean Timecapsule Cadillac. I own a Cadillac and if you put larger strings on it, I've gotten mine to tune all the way down to drop F...yes, drop F with no clang. I did it just to test it...hehe, anyway, the 6505 will really bring out the tone of the Dean and it has sustain that will last for days. All around beautiful guitar and great stack.
"Ignorance runs rampant through this virus we call life, dead one day, alive the next, never breaking a stride. As I take it all in and realize, nothing we do can stop it, I release the hatred from my eyes, only to feel it within."