I am currently finishing my junior year of high school, and have been saving up for a big gift for myself when I go off to college in a little over a year. I have had my eyes and heart set on a Gretsch White Penguin for a while. The looks and gretsch tone have won me over (plus my obsession with penguins :P) I currently play a tele through a line6 spider iii and get a wonderful range of tones as you would expect from a telecaster, but I am looking for something a bit more. I love single coil pickups over humbuckers, and the channeled solidbody of the white penguin is also very appealing. The white penguin is also very unique even when compaired to the white falcon. I love the white penguin, but I am wondering if my money would be better spent to buy an american strat or something to that effect.
Replace the Spider amp first.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
-SD "Pearly Gates" bridge pickup
-50's style wiring
Digitech RP150
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Electro-Harmonix LPB-1 Linear Power Booster
Peavey Windsor Studio

= My amp on crack
Playing the White Falcon or Penguin through that amp would literally be guitar murder. For it to be worthwhile, you'd have to have something capable of beautiful cleans. A nice Fender valve amp or something of that ilk with an overdrive pedal for the bluesier tones.

Frankly, you should be more concerned with an amp at this stage.

If you're thinking of gigging then a 30w or so valve amp would be perfect, but if not, then a small 5w valve amp would be better.

What sort of genre's do you play and what is your budget?

Just please, don't play that Gretsch through the Spider...it's just...not right.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
new amp.

And if you like the Gretsch tone, why would you get a Strat? Not even the same area of tone.
Quote by Kurapica
Playing the White Falcon or Penguin through that amp would literally be guitar murder. For it to be worthwhile, you'd have to have something capable of beautiful cleans. A nice Fender valve amp or something of that ilk with an overdrive pedal for the bluesier tones.

Frankly, you should be more concerned with an amp at this stage.

If you're thinking of gigging then a 30w or so valve amp would be perfect, but if not, then a small 5w valve amp would be better.

What sort of genre's do you play and what is your budget?

Just please, don't play that Gretsch through the Spider...it's just...not right.

I probably would not be gigging, at least not with the penguin. It would be outright murder to scratch one of those babes. For pedals, I currently have a Danelectro Daddy-O distortion pedal and a Dunlop Cry Baby-Q. For an amp, I am probably going to get an Epi valve jr. (I originally picked the spider over it because i wanted a modeling amp, it has served me well enough)
Ok then mate, my advice would be to pick up that Epi Valve Jr and get yourself an overdrive pedal. Something like an Ibanez Tubescreamer, or perhaps a second hand Maxon OD808 or a Keeley Modded Tubescreamer. That'd be great.

Then you'll have a nice sounding rig on which to play the Gretsch! Also, your Tele will sound great too

The Spider is fine for a practise amp, but it just seems hellishly wrong to play such a beautiful guitar through one. You'd lose the majority of the dynamics of the guitar straight away.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

Quote by Kurapica
Ok then mate, my advice would be to pick up that Epi Valve Jr and get yourself an overdrive pedal. Something like an Ibanez Tubescreamer, or perhaps a second hand Maxon OD808 or a Keeley Modded Tubescreamer. That'd be great.

Then you'll have a nice sounding rig on which to play the Gretsch! Also, your Tele will sound great too

The Spider is fine for a practise amp, but it just seems hellishly wrong to play such a beautiful guitar through one. You'd lose the majority of the dynamics of the guitar straight away.

thanks for the advise. My new guitar fund is currently at $1,500 so ive a bit of a ways to go, but in around a year, i hope to have the white penguin and the valve jr if my fickle mind hasn't changed on me. Would you recommend ditching the Danelectro pedal? I've always thought that the tone was pretty nice coming out of it, even made my keyboard amp sound half decent.
It's not of absolute urgency to replace it. If you use an overdrive pedal with the Valve Junior you'll get a much smoother, creamier distortion. Think along the lines of those tasty blues guitarists. It's the joy of valve amps getting that fat distortion, which is pushed by an overdrive. If you like the pedal then use it, but I'm a fan of Tubescreamer type OD's, the mid-hump sounds great IMO.

Bear in mind that the Valve Junior with an overdrive will get you up to rock levels of distortion but not metal. I assume that someone who is looking at the Gretsch though doesn't want to play metal much haha.

I'd say for you to get the amp now too! Might aswell enjoy some new tones from the Tele whilst saving up Might give you more motivation to save too!
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

Of course it's worth it. I'm amazed a junior in high school has saved almost 4 grand. Are you just putting your check away and not touching it? Or are your parents buying it but you fear the backlash from hatin' ass UG'ers?
GEAR:

Gretsch 5120 Anniversary Ed.
Ibanez Artcore AS73
Mann 2350CS (Les Paul Copy)
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Squier Bullet
Boss OS-2
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT 30w
Line 6 Spider III 15W (Hey, I jam in my living room...)
Quote by Dav23
Of course it's worth it. I'm amazed a junior in high school has saved almost 4 grand. Are you just putting your check away and not touching it? Or are your parents buying it but you fear the backlash from hatin' ass UG'ers?

I've saved ~1.5 grand, the WP is 2.8, so i'm more than halfway there. I don't plan on making any big purchases at all this year, so by the end of next summer I should be just about there. Also any scholarship money that I win (i believe that I won a NMSQ aword from the PSATs) will go mysteriously to this fund

edit: so yeah, putting the checks away and not touching them
I can get a Fender Champion 600 tube amp for $100. Is this a better amp than the Valve Jr?
classic 30 plus falcon = OwnAge
Quote by Demonikk
+1 on everything phip said

Main Gear
PRS SE Custom
Jay Turser Strat
Classic 30
Effects
Beheringer Distortion pedal
Dunlop Cry Baby
DigiTech Bad Monkey
Quote by phip
classic 30 plus falcon = OwnAge

eh, I'm partial to the smaller body size and solidbody design of the penguin. although teh falcon is one to die for (especially with bigsby vibrato) *drools*
Quote by SenorSmiley
don't pay 2.8 for a penguin. they're out there for 2k.

may I ask where? used I assume?
No on the Penguin, yes on the Falcon.

Get a White Falcon, not a White Penguin. It a) sounds better, and b) is better.
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
Quote by jeffc313
I can get a Fender Champion 600 tube amp for $100. Is this a better amp than the Valve Jr?

I'd think so, yeah. It gets better cleans than the Valve Jr, and that's actually a hundred dollars below retail, so go for it.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Quote by jeffc313
may I ask where? used I assume?

I got one on ebay. got rid of it because it is oddly balanced due 2 the headstock. awesome looking - got old quick and was hard to sell because its a niche thing