I did a search before anyone asks, I just want to make sure I have this right.

I have .10 gauge ernie balls on my epiphone les paul. About a week or so old, but the G keeps detuning like right away. Every note, bend detunes it. So do I just need to work the string in or could it be another problem?
With me, all my G strings on my guitars are pretty rough to get in tune and have them maintain it. My older ones are worse, buy my Epi LP doesn't seem to have this problem so bad and they're 9's. Try string stretching though, your strings are decently new.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard

Fender Frontman 15G

Squire Strat.
are u sure its wrapped around the tuners enough? that happened to me before. when i restrung my guitar i didnt put enough string around them and it kept slipping
just get a reality tv show and then u can make millions being a **** up

MTV Sucks

Quote by hazzmatazz
You think you need help and you don't watch it everyday?

Oh man I'm well and truely on the point of no return then

MY COUSIN IS HOT
LP's and SG's are known to have some tuning instabilities sometimes, especially with lower gauge strings. Here's some things you can do to help it:

- Make sure you stretch the strings out quite intensively, retune, stretch, retune and repeat a few times.
- Make sure there's 2-3 winds around the tuning peg.
- Try rubbing some art pencil or "Nut Sauce" in the grooves of the nut.
- Try moving to 11 gauge strings if you can handle it. It might improve your tone aswell as stability. Saying that, I'm a 9 guage guy myself haha.
- Try changing string company if all this fails. I'm a fan of D'addario strings, great stability.

Hope that helps.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Yup I just got an EMG installed so I had the tech string it for me... So for stretching it should I just go pretty tight and leave it there over night or something?
for the first few days none of your strings will stay in tune very well. If its a perennial problem, then you probably have loose tuning machines. Not to bash on Epi, but they use ****ty hardware. If you have the cash I would recommend replacing the input jack and plate, tuners, bridge, and pickups. You then have a pretty good quality guitar, and for still less than half the absurd price of a real LP standard!
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
Quote by handlerb
for the first few days none of your strings will stay in tune very well. If its a perennial problem, then you probably have loose tuning machines. Not to bash on Epi, but they use ****ty hardware. If you have the cash I would recommend replacing the input jack and plate, tuners, bridge, and pickups. You then have a pretty good quality guitar, and for still less than half the absurd price of a real LP standard!

Yup I was doing that slowly. n have a pssive/active mix because of my tech). I was going to get new machine heads (I'm going to make all hardware black, so black grovers I guess) and I didn't really think of the bridge. It dosen't have a problem so that will be last...

I tried to tighten the machine heads but turning the screw on the knob you turn to tune the guitar (if you get that...). I'll try again/

But is it safe for the strings to leave it maybe an octave or so up a night to stretch it?
you couldnt install the active emgs your slef?
anyways...
those are ez
but yeah g strings always go out of tune, make sure you had enough wraps on it...and you always bend the g string more...idk y but you do...everyone does...
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
umm I use 11s and have a wound G string, and I tune in Eb standard...

Really?

I was sure it was you that posted that in all "what gauge strings do use" type threads saying that you used 14-64's...

no...
Quote by DiMeTiMe

Really?

I was sure it was you that posted that in all "what gauge strings do use" type threads saying that you used 14-64's...

no...

nope, I think that would damage my guitar, I used 13-58s once and I had to replace a couple of bridge saddles. Plus I can't stand excessive down tuning.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
nope, I think that would damage my guitar, I used 13-58s once and I had to replace a couple of bridge saddles. Plus I can't stand excessive down tuning.

Ahh...I forget who it was then...

Sorry about that .
my g string dont go out of tune really, but i also wind my strings like 5-7 times. no jk. is that good? bad?
Quote by TheRstar
my g string dont go out of tune really, but i also wind my strings like 5-7 times. no jk. is that good? bad?

Bad. 2-3 windings is enough, extra windings either do nothing or cause tuning problems.
This space foreclosed, due to the ailing economy.
Mines wound 3-4 times...

Also do wound G strings change the sound of the string, how much do they cost and are they just as easy to play?

Also should I wait another week before making a judgement... this hasn't happened before, but I've strung them myself (terribly, I didn't give it slack so they didnt wind properly therefore i couldn't cut them...)
I used to get so annoyed by the same problem on my Les Pauls
but on my Les Paul Custom it stays in tune VERY well now ^^

I found these to help tuning

Rubbing a pencil in the slots of the nut
Winding the string 3-4 times which has already been said

I fixed my issue by replacing the tuners with locking machineheads
I didn't wanna drill new holes in the headstock either so I replaced them with grover locking rotomatics which are a direct swap
I have an Epi LP too, and its th exact same problem for me,
i think its got to do with string tension,
this might help:
lift hte g string up a bit off its nut (haha) and rub some pencil led in there,
it helps stabalize the tension. havent tried it yet, but my guitar teacher says it works everytime.
GEAR
Epiphone LesPaul 100
Fender FM212R 100watt
Pawn Shop Strat ripoff
Fender G-Dec
Digitech RP80

GETTING SOON
Jackson RR3 Pro Series
CFH Wah
ok good ideas guys. And thanks for giving me advice on the new machine heads. I was going to do that sometime anyways. Are they hard to install yourself or should I get my tech to do it?
so far thats working. Will I have to do this again and should I replace the nut or is it the tuners, because I don't want to have to put led into it allk the time (well fake led)...