I'm nearly done learning cliffs of dover and when I play it live i want to have a similar tone, so if anyone knows what effects or pedals that would help to achieve that tone please DO tell.

THANKS,
My Gear:

Jackson King V KVX10
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Line 6 Spider III HD75, Line 6 Spider III 4x12 Cabinet
Marshall MG30DFX
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Boss BF-3 Flanger
An American Fender Strat with noiseless pickups, tone knobs at half cocked, position two at the switch. A tweed tube amp with the dials at 4 7 4 gain at about 5, maybe 6, a compressor, a sasquatch costume and some power bait. Maybe not the last two but the rest are a start. You need alot of patience if you wanna dial in that tone! Johnson's is the tastiest tone and I've never seen anyone describe how he gets it, good luck!
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
ur just bragging about learning tha song right now...

or maybe im just jealous cuz im slowly on my way

ya i know i didnt help at all i wouldnt know how
Quote by Eddie_VH
I'm nearly done learning cliffs of dover and when I play it live i want to have a similar tone, so if anyone knows what effects or pedals that would help to achieve that tone please DO tell.

THANKS,

Playing it through a semi-hollow guitar will help a lot, since he recorded it with an ES-335. Beyond that, I would think a standard overdrive pedal and some kind of delay pedal (ambient echo in the intro and elsewhere) should do it. Find something that sounds good to you and tweak to taste, because pulling off an exact copy of somebody else's tone is basically impossible. As long as it sounds good and the tone is in the ballpark, similar gain sound and level and an appropriately eq'ed tone (don't scoop the mids for instance), it'll sound fine.
Quote by larrythelefty
ur just bragging about learning tha song right now...

or maybe im just jealous cuz im slowly on my way

ya i know i didnt help at all i wouldnt know how

well i've learnt 3mins of the song so far (the song is 4mins) but i still need to polish it up and what not but i just wanted to get peoples opinion on how to get a "similar" tone
My Gear:

Jackson King V KVX10
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Line 6 Spider III HD75, Line 6 Spider III 4x12 Cabinet
Marshall MG30DFX
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Boss BF-3 Flanger
Eric uses both a MXR 1500 digital delay and a Maestro Echoplex, so if you could get those, it'd really help you sound more like Eric.

I don't think a Strat is really necessary to sound like Eric's Cliff of Dover tone, since he recorded it on a Gibson.
Quote by ValoRhoads
An American Fender Strat with noiseless pickups, tone knobs at half cocked, position two at the switch. A tweed tube amp with the dials at 4 7 4 gain at about 5, maybe 6, a compressor, a sasquatch costume and some power bait. Maybe not the last two but the rest are a start. You need alot of patience if you wanna dial in that tone! Johnson's is the tastiest tone and I've never seen anyone describe how he gets it, good luck!

Eq is good, gain is good as long as you note it's overdrive and not a high-gain amp, guitar is wrong (see my first post, it's a common misconception) though it would work in a pinch. Your LP will also do fine with the tone back slightly, maybe middle position on the pickup selector.