so by the end of the summer, i should have about (give or take) thirteen hundred dollars. I play guitar already and have a half decent guitar amp, so should i buy a thirteen hundred dollar bass or $650 of each a bass guitar and amp
Quote by Deliriumbassist
you'll need a bass amp. Which is all I'm going to say.

all you needed to say
if you play guitar... why the **** would you spend 1300 dollars on bass equipment
Quote by larrythelefty
that or drums

I'm pretty sure i don't want to put myself at a drummers level thankyouverymuch
Quote by pepsi1187
if you play guitar... why the **** would you spend 1300 dollars on bass equipment

spend as thou whilt
Quote by Knurlheim
spend as thou whilt

ok jimmy page....

you can get a good *****ing guitar with that .. or a good amp.
Last edited by pepsi1187 at Jun 17, 2008,
well.. you can get a fender jazz bass for 420.. and if your gunna be playing at home.. just get a tiny little 100 dollar shoebox amp.. if your gunna play some shows get you a big ass ampeg
Quote by pepsi1187

Perhaps because he wants to expand his musical knowledge and horizons. Think outside of the guitarist box you're in. Its a great big world of music out there. And watch your posts, you're bordering on trollism, son.

I agree with Bales, pay more the amp than the bass, in the equation of sound, the amp is the bigger factor.
Like others have said, the amp is the most important factor in tone quality. What are you wanting to do? Play gigs or record/home practice?
Getting used equipment is a good idea, too. You can get a bass that sounds and plays quite well for $500 on ebay (that's how much I paid for my jazz), but there are definitely cheaper basses than that even, if you want to spend more on an amp.

I highly recommend Avatar Speakers for the cab--they're not very expensive, and they sound very good. I think the 2x12 can hold its own--it's what I have and it has so far. I'm also buying a used Hartke HA3500 tomorrow--I played one yesterday and it sounded good. Make sure you try anything you might buy, though. PS, the Avatar 212 is $300 or so and I'm getting the head for $300.
Quote by the_woof
Getting used equipment is a good idea, too. You can get a bass that sounds and plays quite well for $500 on ebay (that's how much I paid for my jazz), but there are definitely cheaper basses than that even, if you want to spend more on an amp.

You should only shopped used if your an experienced bass shopper. Judging by the fact that TS isnt sure what to spend his money on, he probably doesnt have to much shopping experience.

Noobs+Ebay=Phail
Best options for $400-500 in my opinion would be a Fender J (Standard, or used MIA) or an Ibanez SR/SRX. Guitarists moving to bass typically want 4 strings, 34" scale and a skinny neck.

As for amps, I don't know what kind of volume you need or tone you want, but I like Ashdown and Peavey best in that price range, and Warwick are worth a try too.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I'm also going to go say... if you're going to spend that much, shop around. Ampeg really isn't the be all and end all of bass amps.

+1 cheaper ampegs are kinda poopchute, try ashdowns ^_^
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Check out Carvin amps.
Gear:

Fender Mexi Fat Strat
2005 Taylor 614ce

Fender MIM J-Bass Fretless
I'd get a MIM Fender Jazz maybe, they are around $400-ish (I believe). Plenty of money left over to get a really nice amp! Maybe a pedal or two.
All your base are belong to us.
go to a big music shop and play every damn bass you can afford. always get a bass in your hands before you fork for it... ive youve been playing guitar you probably know that though. personally i hate the mexican fenders, but thats subjective. schecters are a good brand to look for, lots of value. the best advice is still play it, get it in your hands, itll talk to you
this is my song. i made it out of music. please help it grow big and strong by criticising it mercilessly
Check out markbass, they have some sick stuff.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
check ouy squier VM series and CV series
they are cheap but awesome basses IMO
i havent tried the CV but they look like great basses
and VM are better than MIM fenders IMO

also for the amp i would suggest something around 50 or 100 watts if you want to use it with the band for practice
if you want to gig with it you will need more unless you have a PA
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
If you want to play bass to play a new instrument, I'd suggest get more than just a bass!

1300 can get you a bass and a synth! Probably a drumset too if you really wanted to. It just depends on your intention. If you REALLY want to play bass then go right ahead and get an awesome setup! But if you want to be multi instrumental, then why not go all out?

Drumming will help your bass playing as much as bass playing will help your drumming too.

And synths are just plain fun!
$1300 is a lot of money. Are you sure you're gonna stick with bass? There's no shame in starting with something $400-$500 then trading it in to upgrade later.
Got Bass?