Our band is just starting out and of the songs we've been learning is sweet child o mine. On the first practice I was just like hey do you guys know sweet child o mine? and then we just kept playing it throughout the band practices. I'm wondering if this song is too overplayed to be played in gigs. Keep in mind that we're all 15 and will most likely be playing for friends and not so much at bars or clubs till we age a little bit. Our setlist well most likely change by then. Any thoughts appreciated.
if ur not gigging then its fine. play it. itll only help. gives u experience and ull get used to the nuances of being in a band.
Yes, but it's awesome
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
If you are 15 and playing for friends, it's actually a little impressive IMHO! I was about that age when I learned it. Yes it's a little cliche, but if you pull it off right, crowds dig it! It's a classic! But I wouldn't play it every gig or for a crowd that is too young for it. What else do you play in a set?
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Quote by hammetjunior13
watever u do dont play iron man

Maybe in New York, in Pittsburgh, if you can hit it right, it's GOLD!
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
My band consists of 14/15 year olds, and we've written around 15 songs, been together for a year. Its never to early to start.

I dont think SCoM is an over played song, just make sure you have something else. Playing it all through practice might be a bit much. Try branching out?
Quote by lespaul#1
Indie stands for Industrial I think, like Marilyn Manson.

Ibanez RG2EX2 (Dimarzio Breed in bridge)
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Laney LV300T
Line 6 Toneport GX

The Falling Object Model
yeah its pretty overplayed but...then again...it would be nice to hear at the same time...
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
People who are really into music might find it cliche and annoying, but most of your friends will just be like "wow that's from Guitar Hero". Go ahead and play it at gigs, but make sure you start learning new songs and/or start writing your own stuff.
yea we're writing and playing other stuff
i just found out my drummer broke his arm
ahhhhh
well what i would say is that you could pull it off, but youd better play it pretty damn good.
It's overplayed if you ask other music people. Regular people love that ****!
If your parents never had children, chances are, you wont either.

Member #2 of Kerry/Edwards fanclub
if you are an original band the point of a cover song is to play something everyone knows. And if you play it well enough more people will stick around to hear what you are going to play throughout your set
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Tribute (Bare Knuckle Nailbombs)
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul (Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentinent)
-Ibanez S470 (Dimarzio D-sonic and Humbucker from Hell)
-PRS SE Custom (Guitarforce Black Diamond and Lord of the Blues)

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Electro-Harmonix Power Booster
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings:
Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom 10-52
Quote by JLT73
if you are an original band the point of a cover song is to play something everyone knows. And if you play it well enough more people will stick around to hear what you are going to play throughout your set

+1
Your opinion is just that, YOUR opinion. It doesn't make you right. It doesn't make you better. It doesn't make you god. Everyone has their own view and that view is neither right or wrong.

Ignorance destroys music.
I think it is a bit cliche'd. However, if you play it well I think it's a good pick. It's a great song and very popular. Audiences generally prefer material they recognize.

I am a bit skeptical that your singer can pull it off though as Axl sings quite high.
WARNING:This post contains explicit portrayals of violence; sex; violent sex; sexual violence; clowns and violent scenes of violent excess, which are definitely not suitable for all audiences.
play dont stop believing g
Quote by Stress Cow
You know you're fucked up when the pit thinks you're a sick bastard.