Basically This forum is just comparing metals great guitarists and their songs.
Think of guitarists like:

Dimebag Darrell
Zakk Wylde
Dave Mustaine
Kirk Hammett
Randy Rhodes
etc

Rock On Guys!
Where the hell is the room for Herman Ri, and Matt Heafy
I want to go as far to the edge without going over. Out on the edge, you can see all kinds of different things.
Fair enough, I'm game.

John Petrucci vs. Mikael Akerfeldt (damn...)

JP: Technically stunning, can pull off shiny, emotional solos and is pretty much all-around great. His work on songs like "The Glass Prison" is just phenomenal in how he can write fairly simple guitar riffs and turn them into something outstanding. As well as on songs like "The Silent Man" where it is simple strumming/picked lines on an acoustic, and makes it beautiful.

Mikey: He can write relatively crushing riffs, and then switch to teh nice acustix. His vocals also help. While JP is a good vocalist as well, Mike is much better and overall more varied. His tone is also incredibly fabulous (as is JP's tone...) and his acoustic work is brilliant. Harmonies on the first two Opeth albums are just simply genius.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Well Randy Rhodes is THE **** cos he is the most verstaile and you can hear his musical roots coming from all genres. Zakk Wylde is pretty good but he likes beer and making his guitar sound like an orgasming horse too much, but Randy is dead so i guess Wylde wins
I R GUY LOLOLOLOLOLO1O1O1O!!1L1
John Petrucci, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Jeff Loomis, Chris Broderick, Paul Gilbert, Martin Buus, and much more :P
Hello, Mirror - so glad to see you my friend, it's been a while

Help me - I can't break out this prison all alone
Save me - I'm drowning and I'm hopeless on my own
Heal me - I can't restore my sanity alone
I'm going to totally ignore the post above me (ZoSoBeatle), and reply to Slaytanic. Personally, I enjoy Opeth more than DT, but I think JP is probably a more skilled guitarist than Mikael. I love how Mikael can go from the most brutal growl ever to an extremely beautiful and haunting vocal section with such ease. Amazing. Wait this isn't the Opeth thread?
Petrucci, Vai, Satch, Rhoads.

Wylde is OUT. Retard.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
Quote by ThrashMetal19

Kirk Hammett

I honestyly don't see what everyone sees in Kirk Hammett. He's sloppy, repetitive and has no idea how to use a wah pedal properly.
Quote by Dean765
I'm going to totally ignore the post above me (ZoSoBeatle), and reply to Slaytanic. Personally, I enjoy Opeth more than DT, but I think JP is probably a more skilled guitarist than Mikael. I love how Mikael can go from the most brutal growl ever to an extremely beautiful and haunting vocal section with such ease. Amazing. Wait this isn't the Opeth thread?

I enjoy Opeth a bit more, but lately I've been in a massive DT binge.

Anyways, JP is a better guitarist in the technical sense, Mikael can pull off emotive solos better though (ahemDamnationahem)

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by Slaytanic1993
I enjoy Opeth a bit more, but lately I've been in a massive DT binge.

Anyways, JP is a better guitarist in the technical sense, Mikael can pull off emotive solos better though (ahemDamnationahem)

Yeah. Damn if only Progressive Nation had come to Houston
Or anywhere in Texas for that matter.
Well other than JP and Mikael, I think Michael Romeo is one of the best in metal.
I could've seen it...but, I chose not too...

I hate rent.

Quote by eggsandham2