Im not sure what thread this should be in but I am considering buying a 12 string acoustic alvarez. I have been playing guitar for about a year and I am wondering what the difference is from going from 6 strings to 12 besides just 6 more strings. Also is alvarez a good brand for 12 string guitars. Thanks for any help you can give me.
Last edited by GuitarLesPaul at Jun 17, 2008,
Well mixing wise, its great if your the only guitar. on the flip side. Its a nightmare to try and get it to fit in with another guitar. Granted its not impossible, and theres some cool **** with all that. But if you get it, your gonna become a rhythm player. Its cool man, sounds amazing acoustic. dont try and put it in metal though. just dont work...
I disagree, some of the best lead playing i have ever heard is played on a 12-string. I would highly suggest buying one, as I absolutley adore mine. As for lead, Steve Howe and Alex Lifeson have done amazing and beautiful things with 12-strings, I would suggest listening to "And You and I" by YES or the opening of "Closer to the Heart" by Rush. As far as sound is concerned, it will be prevelant, but a little EQ tweaking can solve most of your mixing dilemmas, they also sound fantastic when played next to a clean electric. I would highly recommend one.
Another great YES track featuring 12-string acoustic: "Wonderous Stories"
I love when people say you can't play lead on a 12 string. Basicly whatever you can play on a 6 you can play on a 12.

And you can't go wrong with Alvarez. What model were you thinking?
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
Quote by Highbinder
I love when people say you can't play lead on a 12 string. Basicly whatever you can play on a 6 you can play on a 12.

Granted it will be significantly more difficult to play the same thing on a 12-string. Not disagreeing with you. The limitation is the player, not the instrument is my philosophy.
The Alvarez AD60S-12 is a very nice guitar. I owned one for a while and was very pleased with it.
"There but for fortune go you or I"- Phil Ochs
Quote by jcasey77
I disagree, some of the best lead playing i have ever heard is played on a 12-string. I would highly suggest buying one, as I absolutley adore mine. As for lead, Steve Howe and Alex Lifeson have done amazing and beautiful things with 12-strings, I would suggest listening to "And You and I" by YES or the opening of "Closer to the Heart" by Rush. As far as sound is concerned, it will be prevelant, but a little EQ tweaking can solve most of your mixing dilemmas, they also sound fantastic when played next to a clean electric. I would highly recommend one.

Closer to the Heart intro is on a 6-string.
Take a listen to Natural Science.
Quote by tshare1
Fingerpicking lead on a 12 string is hard as hell though.

You've sort of got to get used to it but after awhile it's not so bad. I haven't managed to bend consistently well yet though

TS I was hesitant about getting a 12 string but when I tried mine out at the store I fell in love and saved up for months to get it, no regrets at all. It's wonderful and it has quickly become my default guitar. You can play anything on it that you could play on a 6 string although sometimes it does become more difficult with lead work. Rhythm though sounds like a fcking dream, not that you should limit your playing to one or the other.
Quote by metacarpi
I'd rather post a chat up line with an escape route in case it starts going wrong.

"Did it hurt when you fell from heaven?"

*girl looks unimpressed*

"Because it looks like you landed on your face."
Quote by The Necromancer
Closer to the Heart intro is on a 6-string.
Take a listen to Natural Science.

On the contrary, if you listen to the track you can hear the sister strings, it only sounds like a six string because it contains a lot of open notes and is played on the highest 3 strings, two of which (high b and e) are not tuned to octaves. I'm pretty sure Lifeson mentioned that he used a 12-string on the intro in an interview. But I digress, I still would recommend buying a 12-string, hope this was helpful.
Quote by jcasey77

Took the words right out of my mouth. 12 String is a beautiful lead instrument... Am I the only one who tears up listening to And You and I?

I was going to buy a $600 Jumbo Alvarez 12 String... In my opinion, it was almost as good as the $2000 Taylor 12 String (But the Taylor kicked some serious ass in the 'oomph' department). However, the step down from that Alvarez was a POS. Awful sound and mediocre tone.
I just went to my local guitar store and played a 12 string alvarez for a hour or so and i loved it. right now i am saving to go and buy it in a month or a little earlier. it has a built in tuner and is electric and its alvarez and it cost $500. is it a good deal and thanks for all the comments about how fun a 12 string is to play cuz now i am set on buying some type of 12 string