when im soloing, i can solo alright on one pentatonic scale. i usually don't solo on regular scales or arpeggios. it just gets boring soloing on one scale though, how exactly can i link multiple scales together and transition between them flawlessly? just something you get with practice over time? any examples?

also another question. is it ok to just solo on pentatonic scales or should i get better with soloing on every type of scale/arpeggio?
Query: Do you actually know what scales are, or are you just soloing in a box shape?
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Generally you would solo on one scale for all of a solo but you can throw in chromatic notes and such to make it more interesting.

You might think a shape is called a scale; in which case, what I did was I learnt the 5 pentatonic shapes and how to link them up and then learned what all the other notes were in relation to the pentatonic shapes, and then I learned the 7 modes, and eventually you get to learn where every note is on the fretboard and in which scales you can use them. For a first step, I'd recommend learning the 5 pentatonic shapes. Also, there is nothing wrong with just using pentatonic patterns, especially for a beginner
Quote by Archeo Avis
Query: Do you actually know what scales are, or are you just soloing in a box shape?

+1

learn the distinction between

"scales", which are a specific, repeating pattern of notes and intervals that span a single octave

and

"scale patterns", which are simply one position where the notes of a certain scale occur.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
The way I cracked this, was to use slides. I would just slide out of a box shape (up or down) on a particular string, and land on a note that I knew was in the scale going by my ears. Eventually youll be familiar enough with the scale youll just know wether you'll need to go a semi tone or a tone to get to the next note and you'll be ablw to solo over the whole neck within that scale.

My way worked for me, but it probably isnt the best way as I still dont know what the names of the notes are all the time, I'm just following my ears and going by memory.

But yeh, take the typical E minor penatonic and slide to a note outside of a box shape to a note that you know is in the scale because it will just sound right. then find the notes around that new note outside of the box thatyou know are in the scale.

Good luck
Quote by XtAsY2007
The way I cracked this, was to use slides. I would just slide out of a box shape (up or down) on a particular string, and land on a note that I knew was in the scale going by my ears. Eventually youll be familiar enough with the scale youll just know wether you'll need to go a semi tone or a tone to get to the next note and you'll be ablw to solo over the whole neck within that scale.

My way worked for me, but it probably isnt the best way as I still dont know what the names of the notes are all the time, I'm just following my ears and going by memory.

But yeh, take the typical E minor penatonic and slide to a note outside of a box shape to a note that you know is in the scale because it will just sound right. then find the notes around that new note outside of the box thatyou know are in the scale.

Good luck

Your way worked for Eddie Van Halen too - he often uses the slide trick.

Having said that you still need to learn the notes on the fretboard and the scales intervals, slides are just a safer way of reaching for notes further away if you're not 100% certain of where everything is. Chances are you'll be a semitone out at worst so it's easy to slide to a correct note and pretend you meant it!
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com