Poll: If a country/bluegrass music forum was added, would you view/contribute/support it?
Poll Options
View poll results: If a country/bluegrass music forum was added, would you view/contribute/support it?
Yes
76 38%
I'd visit from time to time
56 28%
No
70 35%
Voters: 202.
Page 1 of 4
Dear Ladies, Gentlemen, and horny boys of UG,

I come to you to ask for your opinion and/or support. Thoughts of a country/bluegrass forum have been floating around. Below is a link to the thread in which this originated.

Dready has given me the thumbs up to make this poll.

Before you go to flaming, I realize this idea is an underdog and I also realize that:

- This has been suggested before etc.
- What Zappp has said in the past
- Most people who aren't from America probably won't like this idea.

So UG, please give me an opinion and Please read the thread before you vote.
If you do not like country/bluegrass music, but feel it should have it's place as a forum please vote in support and state it in the thread.

PLEASE READ THE THREAD BEFORE YOU VOTE TO FIND OUT WHY MYSELF AND OTHERS THINK THIS IS A GOOD IDEA

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=14804328#post14804328

Feel free to post in this ^ thread also if you want.

UPDATE:

Quote by Dreadnought
If anything, why can we not expand the forum to be a catch-all "Folk" forum? This would include country, bluegrass, many acoustic artists which aren't otherwise covered, more worldly folk music, etc.

I like dready's idea.

Quote by ECwomantoneman
Yeah, I'd support that too - eg Simon and Garfunkel, Johnny Cash and Bob Dylan threads seem to float between "Other", "Acoustic+Classical" and "Classic Rock" A dedicated country/bluegrass/folk forum would suit those and many more ideally

^ also a good point.

Here is a summary so far:
IF APPROVED and manifested this is a rough estimate of what the forum would consist of.

Name: "Folk" or "Folk/Country" but would still include everything listed below.

Genres: besides the 2 in the title, rockabilly, Bluegrass, traditional U.K. folk or "roots" songs.

Artists: People like (these are just examples): Woody Guthrie, Johnny Cash, Flatt and Scruggs, Bill Monroe, Ricky Skaggs, CSN&Y, Brad Paisley, Hank Williams, Willie Nelson, Bob Dylan, Simon and Garfunkle and many more.
Last edited by Vagabond21 at Jun 18, 2008,
Get over it. It won't happen.

EDIT: Elaboration. The demand to make whole new forum just for bluegrass and country won't be as huge as the one for rap. And we certainly won't be getting rap. Or classical.
Last edited by Deliriumbassist at Jun 17, 2008,
Quote by Deliriumbassist

I figured I would become very unpopular because of this.

All you have to say is no.
Got this straightened out. This thread is kosher. Free bump!

Vote, Pitmonkeys!
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Deliriumbassist

EDIT: Elaboration. The demand to make whole new forum just for bluegrass and country won't be as huge as the one for rap. And we certainly won't be getting rap. Or classical.

There isn't much guitar in rap.

There is a classical guitar forum isn't there?

Nu-metal has a forum for God's sakes. It's a sub-genre of a sub-genre of a genre.

Country and Bluegrass are something completely different, why can't it have a forum?
It doesn't matter whether the genre has guitars or not. It's for the discussion of bands.

Nu-metal is barely a sub-genre of a sub-genre. It was also one of the most popular genres at that point in time. And I meant classical as in Wagner, Beethoven etc.
I'd go sometimes if it happens. It'd be nice to have one.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
1.It doesn't matter whether the genre has guitars or not. It's for the discussion of bands.

2.Nu-metal is barely a sub-genre of a sub-genre. It was also one of the most popular genres at that point in time. 3.And I meant classical as in Wagner, Beethoven etc.

1. I understand. I just think that a genre of music that is just as difficult, if not more difficult, to play as most rock and nu-metal deserves it's own forum to trade tips and discuss many different artists.

2. Thanks for admitting it.

3. Oh.
Quote by Vagabond21
1. I understand. I just think that a genre of music that is just as difficult, if not more difficult, to play as most rock and nu-metal deserves it's own forum to trade tips and discuss many different artists.

2. Thanks for admitting it.

3. Oh.

2. Well done for taking it out of context. Nu-metal is a fusion of hip hop and hard rock, and therefore isn't a sub-genre of a sub genre. It's eoither a sub-genre, or a new genre in it's own right.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
2. Well done for taking it out of context. Nu-metal is a fusion of hip hop and hard rock, and therefore isn't a sub-genre of a sub genre. It's eoither a sub-genre, or a new genre in it's own right.

I see where you are coming from...

Either way, I would dare say that Country/Bluegrass has more artists AND fans AND is more difficult to play than Nu-metal.
Quote by soulflyV
I don't see the relevance of that statement.

Read the thread in the OP. Playing tips and tabs for C & B can be difficult to come by. yes, I just ended a sentence with a preposition... muahahaha
i'd love that. a rockabilly thread in there maybe? and bluegrass is amazing. someone look up Merle Watson and tell me that isnt technical.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
Quote by p o e
i'd love that. a rockabilly thread in there maybe? and bluegrass is amazing. someone look up Merle Watson and tell me that isnt technical.

I wouldn't have a problem with rockabilly in there although the mods might.

Not really my call.
well, rockabilly to me has always sounded like a fusion of old country/bluegrass and the blues...
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
Quote by p o e
well, rockabilly to me has always sounded like a fusion of old country/bluegrass and the blues...

I agree. You can def. hear some rockabilly influences in country. Dwight Yoakam for example.
Quote by Vagabond21
Read the thread in the OP. Playing tips and tabs for C & B can be difficult to come by. yes, I just ended a sentence with a preposition... muahahaha

Bands and Artists forums aren't for playing tips.

otherwise the shred forum would be full of sweep picking threads.

there's an advanced technique forum and a Guitar & Bass Basics. Playing tips go in one of those forums.

I know I wouldn't go in a country forum. And I think the fact that you had to bump the thread yourself shows how little people care.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Lemoninfluence

I know I wouldn't go in a country forum. And I think the fact that you had to bump the thread yourself shows how little people care.

This, plus the fact that there isn't even an active country or bluegrass thread in the other forum at the moment.
Other forum does well enough for rap and electronic music, why not sticky a bluegrass and country thread there?
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
Bands and Artists forums aren't for playing tips.

otherwise the shred forum would be full of sweep picking threads.

there's an advanced technique forum and a Guitar & Bass Basics. Playing tips go in one of those forums.

The Blues and Jazz forum has a few threads on technique and licks that are specific to those genres. So Yes, they are for playing tips as well and artist discussion.

As for the bump, I started this thread last night when most UGers in America and the U.K. were sleeping.

Quote by denizenz
I've been getting into Nickel Creek lately. Progressive bluegrass FTW!

It makes me sad that they disbanded

If you like Nickel Creek, look into The Old Crow Medicine Show, they're a little different but still progressive bluegrass (although they aren't as progressive as NC)

Quote by walkinbazooka
Other forum does well enough for rap and electronic music, why not sticky a bluegrass and country thread there?

I believe there are more fans of C&B on UG than those two genres. Also, there are many techniques (guitar wise) that could be addressed such as "Chicken Pickin", "Flat Pickin", and Bluegrass rhythm.
Last edited by Vagabond21 at Jun 18, 2008,
I wouldn't visit it, but I don't see why there shouldn't be one
OAKLAND A's - 9 TIME CHAMPS!!

DUKE BLUE DEVILS - 4 TIME CHAMPS & 19 TIME ACC CHAMPS!!

OAKLAND RAIDERS - 4 TIME LEAGUE CHAMPS!!

GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS - 3 TIME LEAGUE CHAMPS!!

SAN JOSE SHARKS - NONE LOL!!
Quote by Vagabond21

I didn't know that...

I LOVE 'The Hand Song', that's my favourite NC song.

Quote by Vagabond21
I believe there are more fans of C&B on UG than those two genres. Also, there are many techniques (guitar wise) that could be addressed such as "Chicken Pickin", "Flat Pickin", and Bluegrass rhythm.

Don't forget banjo technique! Can't wait to get me one of them...

Couldn't we expand the forum with stuff like folk, to give it larger appeal to more members?
Quote by Vagabond21

I had no idea.

If you like Nickel Creek, look into The Old Crow Medicine Show, they're a little different but still progressive bluegrass (although they aren't as progressive as NC)

I will. I'm really into the slow stuff Nickel Creek does too. Are they anything like that?
Just take it to acoustic...

Before that we need a Classical and a Rap/Hiphop forum, and we aren't going to get those, so be quiet.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by denizenz

I had no idea.

I will. I'm really into the slow stuff Nickel Creek does too. Are they anything like that?

Some of it is. Check out the song "Wagon wheel". It's absolutely beautiful. The groups singer is heavily influenced by Bob Dylan, you can tell by his voice.

Quote by _deeperthewound
I didn't know that...

I LOVE 'The Hand Song', that's my favourite NC song.

Don't forget banjo technique! Can't wait to get me one of them...

Couldn't we expand the forum with stuff like folk, to give it larger appeal to more members?

I wouldn't have a problem with it, but like I mentioned about rockabilly, it wouldn't be my call.
I'd totally go to a Country forum a bit. I don't listen to that much - mainly Shooter Jennings, but I'd contribute.
Quote by rabidguitarist
Just take it to acoustic...

Before that we need a Classical and a Rap/Hiphop forum, and we aren't going to get those, so be quiet.

Most country music is electric and played on a fender telecaster. It wouldn't make sense to put it in an acoustic forum.

Classical and Rap don't have much guitar in it. Part of the reason I want a country/bluegrass forum is because there are so many different techniques specific to the genre.

Quote by smb
Other is mainly non-guitar music though.

This is true, which is why I think C & B should have it's own forum.
I have supported this idea before. And will again.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Flying Couch
I'd totally go to a Country forum a bit. I don't listen to that much - mainly Shooter Jennings, but I'd contribute.

I've seen Shooter live before, he's amazing. If you haven't already, check out the song "Southern Comfort". It's a great ballad.
Banjo Forum?
Ukelele Forum?
Mandolin Forum?

All these possibilities
Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.
Page 1 of 4