Well I've been playing guitar for 4 or 5 months now and I'm entire self taught.
I play acoustic and electric guitar and don't specify in one style, but just play anything that sounds good.

At this point, I can play a ton of chords, power chords, some barres, palm mutes, chops, hammer-ons/pull-offs, slides, and a variety of basic other stuff.

I'm going on a trip pretty soon and i need some impressive and/or stuff that just sounds really awesome. I learned "Banana Pancakes" the other day and it sounds real nice, but i can't play that over and over again.

I also need some stuff that I can learn cuz I'm starting to lose interest in guitar.
I've been trying to learn lead guitar but "lead guitar" isn't very specific. And I can't read chords...like i know what chords to play and when but I can't invent a strumming pattern or whatever so...

Yeah. Just a little help please and thank you =D

P.S.
Maybe you guys could recommend some cool blues riffs I could learn =D
I've always liked the acoustic version of SRV's "Pride and Joy", and there are some great blues licks in all of his work. It'll be a nice challenge for you too.
as cliche as it sounds, listen to the songs you really love and try to learn em. because playing songs you are interested in is the best way to cure this lack of motivation, other than that, try to listen to some really great players for inspiration, and if possible try jamming with some really good players, that will help you get a lot better, good luck
eh i've done a lot of stuff that i like but lots of it is too hard for my current level. i can only play certain riffs of those songs

and i've tried pride and joy. i can only play parts of it =\
Quote by BurninSnowman
eh i've done a lot of stuff that i like but lots of it is too hard for my current level. i can only play certain riffs of those songs

and i've tried pride and joy. i can only play parts of it =\

Anything that's too challenging can be used as motivation -- work at it and you will get it.

For something a little easier, try "Brian Wilson" by the Barenaked Ladies; it's simple, will give you good practice on strumming rhythms and is great fun to play and sing.
Learn the melody to Marilyn Manson's cover of Sweet Dreams. It's very easy and it's a good exercise.

Also, try looking at the intro to One by Metallica. Maybe Sweet Home Alabama or Simple Man by Lynyrd Skynyrd. A lot of country songs are very easy to play.

Dust on the Bottle by David Lee Murphy is a cool tune and very easy. And as cliche as it is, try getting Wonderwall by Oasis down. It's got a sorta tricky strumming pattern, but it's very pretty.

Of course, there is always Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana...
Quote by gilly_90
Hi, I'm looking for some fruit, I can't decide between apples and oranges.
Which one is better?
Thanks
yeah i've learned simple man, sweet home alabama, smells like teen spirit, wonderwall, and most of one by metallica already

i just got into barre chords and i can do those pretty easily now so i'm tryin to find some songs that possibly use those, but yeah. all these recommendations are great. thanks guys
Remedy by Seether is a pretty cool song.

Also, try Swing Life Away by Rise Against.
Quote by gilly_90
Hi, I'm looking for some fruit, I can't decide between apples and oranges.
Which one is better?
Thanks
Maybe you like punk; That's real easy (Ramones, Green Day, Offspring....)

Here's some drop D riff you might like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfWYypnUXVI

E E E E Q Q Q E E E Q.
------------------------|-----------------------|
------------------------|----------------3------|
--3--4--5---------------|--3----5--3--5---------|
-----------0--3----5----|-----------------------|

E E E E Q Q Q E E E Q.
--3--4--5---------------|--3----5--2--5---------|
-----------0--3----5----|----------------0------|

E E E E Q Q Q E E E E E E
------------------------|---------------------------|
------------------------|----------------3br--L--L--|
--3--4--5---------------|--3----5--3--5-------------|
-----------0--3----5----|---------------------------|

E E E E Q Q Q E E E Q.
------------------------|----------------3------|
--3--4--5---------------|--3----5--2--5---------|
-----------0--3----5----|-----------------------|
Last edited by 08L1V10N at Jun 19, 2008,
uh. all the stuff you guys have suggested so far i already know or learned real fast.
this stuff is kinda easy for me..except for that pride and joy one. i'm still workin on that

but yeah i love rise against. i've learned prayer of the refugee by 'em already and i'm lookin for some more
You have been playing for 5 months and all this is easy? Lets here some audio.

Why are you trying to impress people after 5 months. I seriously doubt after 5 months you can play all that stuff with nice technique maybe you can play parts of the songs sloppily and think you are good.

Im not trying to bring you down but don't rush yourself to impress others focus on learning your instrument properly. Read the lesson on proper practice technique and re-evaluate what your teaching yourself it might help you.
The Stone - Dave Matthews Band, but you need to learn to sing it too.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Learn some acoustic fingerpicking songs.

Little Martha - Allman Brothers
Song for George - Eric Johnson
Any song by Dan Fogelberg
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Quote by /-\liceNChains
You have been playing for 5 months and all this is easy? Lets here some audio.

Why are you trying to impress people after 5 months. I seriously doubt after 5 months you can play all that stuff with nice technique maybe you can play parts of the songs sloppily and think you are good.

Im not trying to bring you down but don't rush yourself to impress others focus on learning your instrument properly. Read the lesson on proper practice technique and re-evaluate what your teaching yourself it might help you.

it really is all easy to me. i spent like 3 hours a day playing and been playing a lot more each day in the summer. i'm through barres, and most chords already, i got both perfect. i got dozens and dozens of pages of tabs laying around in my room of songs i've got perfect and i give guitar lessons to 4 different people (i'm not trying to show off i'm just saying that this stuff really is easy to me). as for the audio, i'm trying to find a time to borrow my friend's video camera to start putting covers on youtube.

oh and i can't stand fingerpicking. i've watched a few vids on the technique and learned 'pink panther' and 'house of the rising sun' using fingerpicking, but i hate it so i try to stay away from it. plus it's not the kind of music i wanna play in the future.
Last edited by BurninSnowman at Jun 19, 2008,
If all of this is easy learn something insanely hard like This Dying Soul by Dream Theater. Tabs are good but not knowing try to figure out what they are doing in the songs. Like the key what is he doing to make the riff I don't do this as much as I should but yeah you seem like you are amazing enough to do it. Learn Theory all scales arpeggio shapes, sweep picking, extended chords, all that good stuff. Learn to read, write, intervals, all of it. Train your ear, work on tapping. Do all of that instead of learning everything by tabs then "teaching" other people how to color by numbers