hey guys.. i need help picking out an overdrive pedal.. I play a gibson les paul studio through a marshall MG30DFX (yes i know... crappy amp.. i'm saving up for a half stack.. already have the cab.. just saving for a head)

so far I've listened to a bunch of them.. but not sure what i should get.. these are what i've seen so far and my impressions.. I want an overdrive that is clean/not muddy, to play chords in my rhythm guitar part of a punk/alternrock band

FAB Overdrive - cheap.. 15 bucks... plastic.. doesn't seem to sound too horrible for the price
Boss OD-3 - metal construction, about 90 bucks, sounds pretty good but maybe too muddy
Boss SD-1 - metal construction, about 60 bucks, sounds less muddy
Ibanez Tube Screamer - i don't even know what to think about this one.. good?
English Muff'n - sounds pretty sweet.. cool name.. really expensive
Digitech Bad Monkey - meh

so i want a good overdrive pedal that sounds good with chords.. but wont break the bank.. let me know what you think
wait till you get a new amp, it won't do ****e for your MG. Also, if your new amp isn't a tube amp it probably won't make that big of a difference.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
so do overdrive pedals only work in tube amps? i'm pretty sure they dont... i know the english muff'n has tubes of it's own in the pedal.. doesn't that give a solid state a tube overdrive sound?
Honestly, it IS best to get a new amp first. Yes, overdrive pedals WILL work on a solid state amp, but one as (crappy) as yours, it won't do anything good. Save your money, get a nice chewb, and then buy pedals if you'd like.
Most overdrives (even ones with tubes in it), will sound pretty dismal through an SS amp.
The ONLY overdrive pedal which I thought sounded good with a SS amp was a Digitech Screamin Blues.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by FightinIrishPJ
so do overdrive pedals only work in tube amps? i'm pretty sure they dont... i know the english muff'n has tubes of it's own in the pedal.. doesn't that give a solid state a tube overdrive sound?

THey will work, however you wont be too happy. Its not going to make your MG sound any better, and then you are $100 short of your better (hopefully) amp
i'm planning on saving up (a long *** time) for a tube marshall.. not quite sure which one yet.. i only have a couple hundred bucks right now (i'm 17) so it might be a while.. but i want to make my little MG work for the time being.. so i'm trying to save money but getting *fairly* cheap pedals as i continue to save up... Honestly.. i think the MG's get a bad rep.. i don't think it's too bad for the type of punk i play.. i had a line 6 spider III that i returned cuz it SUCKED a ton... and then i had a 15 watt ibanez amp which wasn't too great.. so the MG works for me.. i just want to get some overdrive and want to know what you people think would be the best one
Quote by acdcrocks0323
What "good" amp are you saving for?

Yeah, which amp are you saving for?

If you're on a budget, don't go for a low end marshall, even the tube ones.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by FightinIrishPJ
i'm planning on saving up (a long *** time) for a tube marshall.. not quite sure which one yet.. i only have a couple hundred bucks right now (i'm 17) so it might be a while.. but i want to make my little MG work for the time being.. so i'm trying to save money but getting *fairly* cheap pedals as i continue to save up... Honestly.. i think the MG's get a bad rep.. i don't think it's too bad for the type of punk i play.. i had a line 6 spider III that i returned cuz it SUCKED a ton... and then i had a 15 watt ibanez amp which wasn't too great.. so the MG works for me.. i just want to get some overdrive and want to know what you people think would be the best one

Want some great advice? DOnt get the pedal, Save your moeny just a little while longer. And keep your eye out for a Traynor YCV50BLUE. New you can get them for $600 on ebay, and used go for cheaper. THey sound way more like a Marshall then the MG you own. Come with a Vintage 30 speaker, you will be way more happy with that.
i thank you all for taking the time to respond to this... but all you have done is suggest a new amp.. I am keeping my MG for the next few years probably.. and am looking to buy an overdrive pedal.. Which one do you suggest?
Quote by stangconv
Want some great advice? DOnt get the pedal, Save your moeny just a little while longer. And keep your eye out for a Traynor YCV50BLUE. New you can get them for $600 on ebay, and used go for cheaper. THey sound way more like a Marshall then the MG you own. Come with a Vintage 30 speaker, you will be way more happy with that.

+1 this ftw
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by FightinIrishPJ
i thank you all for taking the time to respond to this... but all you have done is suggest a new amp.. I am keeping my MG for the next few years probably.. and am looking to buy an overdrive pedal.. Which one do you suggest?

Fab overdrive.. Then buy the Traynor.. then throw the Fab and the MG out....
Quote by FightinIrishPJ

Listen,

You want our recommendation for an overdrive pedal so you sound better right?

But we're telling you theres no way for your tone to sound good no matter what pedal you run through an MG. What's the point of getting a pedal that's not going to do anything?

If you MUST get a pedal, I guess....just pick any of them, either way none of them are going to sound good
Quote by stangconv
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=887102

This guy picked out a great pedal to make his Line 6 sound awesome... Maybe try doing the same he did?

yeah, i would do what that guy did and then Krank it!
I understand your frustration. I tried putting a few OD pedals through my last (SS) amp, and could not get a decent tone out of it. I tried Digitech's Bad Monkey, Screaming Blues, and a TS9DX(GLAD I didn't sell this one on Craigslist). None worked. Last, I got a Boss FDR-1, and liked this one.

Here's some you can try. Try sampling the Boss FDR-1 and FBM-1 at your local shop on one of their MG amps. IMO, this is the best pedals I've heard on SS clean channels.

If you like it, look into a used on Craigslist, because they're $150 new.
PRS SE SC ♦ Dean Cadi ♦ Squier Strat ♦ Crate V5 ♦ AXL Akita AT30 ♦ Alhambra 4P ♦ Takamine f-349 ♦ Goodall KCJ
Boss ME-20 ♦ Monteallums modded TS9DX ♦ DOD Grunge ♦ #1Echo ♦
you guys are useless.. i come here with a simple question and i get my amp mocked and nobody gave a serious response. I'm disappointed in the UG community.. I've been helped many other times, and this is a huge letdown... Can someone just name off what a good overdrive pedal is FOR ANY AMP or what they use.. i just have no clue what ones are good and what ones suck..

EDIT: thank you leondb... you helped me out alot.. i appreciate it
The Digitech Screamin Blues is one of the few OD's i've tried which actually sounds decent with an SS amp.
And it's cheap too. So it doesn't get in the way of your budget for a *cough*traynor*cough* new amp.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
My response was serious...

For even more seriousness the good/decent pedals out there, are made to overdrive the preamp tubes to bring out tube saturation of the amp. Since you dont have tubes the good ones (tube screamer, Bad monkey etc.) arent going to sound any good at all with your amp.

I have had a couple OD's (VS jeckyl and hyde, Digitech DS-7, Boss DS-1) and I keep coming back to the Bad monkey. But then again I have a couple decent amps.

I tried running some OD pedals through my ROland Microcube and they sounded horrible.

My Brother in Law has an MGDFX 100 stack and he uses the Digitech Grunge pedal... I guess look into that.

I still think you should save up for a Traynor though... I promise you will come back and thank me.
Also, do yourself a favor and try out the pedals I tried at your local shop. Who knows. I did own a *ahem* Spider II, and you might get better tone out of the MG.
PRS SE SC ♦ Dean Cadi ♦ Squier Strat ♦ Crate V5 ♦ AXL Akita AT30 ♦ Alhambra 4P ♦ Takamine f-349 ♦ Goodall KCJ
I don't know about the Digitech Grunge... that's an insane distortion pedal. Overkill I think. I had that pedal.
You know alot of us have been down the same road as you TS...

Start with a crappy amp... fine with it since you are beginner and are just happy playing guitar.

Start realizing that you sound is not so great... Next thought is that maybe an overdrive pedal will cure it.

We are just trying to save you the hassle, as we now know form our own experiences that a new amp will sound better then your MG and any pedal or combination of pedals.
overdrive pedals use something called softclippin, where the original curve does get cut, but the amplitude curves are still similar to the amps original wave. Where as distortion just cuts the signal flat which is why distortion pedals can get some insane distortion sometimes....
this is also why a lot of times distortion pedals have their own sounds regardless of the amp, and overdrive can keep your amps original tone

but truth is, your amps signal is already... for a lack of better words undesirable and using a soft clipping distortion (aka overdrive...) isn't going to sound desirable on the amp that you have.

I mean if you want a OD pedal, a badmonkey is pretty solid. A tubescreamer will is also a great pedal (especially with the mods you can do to it). If you want to spend the money. But if you want a nice overdrive sound... i'm sorry but your going to have to get a better amp. Not trying to be a dick but with lower quality beginners gear sometimes it does have its limits.
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Quote by FightinIrishPJ
you guys are useless.. i come here with a simple question and i get my amp mocked and nobody gave a serious response. I'm disappointed in the UG community.. I've been helped many other times, and this is a huge letdown... Can someone just name off what a good overdrive pedal is FOR ANY AMP or what they use.. i just have no clue what ones are good and what ones suck..

EDIT: thank you leondb... you helped me out alot.. i appreciate it

No prob. I'm just trying to be objective. Try not to take suggestions too personally. Everyone really is trying to help. A lot of us have hunted for that, say, AC/DC like OD sound, with pedals and SS amps. I've wasted a lot of money selling gear for cheap on Craigslist because it didn't sound good on my amp!

In all honesty though, that's the closest you may get. We all have been down that road before. I just pulled out of it in fact... I've been playing on and off for about 15 years, and only owned 2 tube amps out of 5 amps total. You may get close, but a true overdriven tube amp sound cannot be emulated! That's why everyone is adamant about answering questions like this with "Get a tube amp". You'll save money in the end by not buying a bunch of pedals and selling them cheap on Craigslist.

Good luck!