OK i'm trying to tab Marty Friedmans chord progression which i have figured out in Guitar Pro.

The chord progression - 2:53 - 3:08
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5777562536751428345&q=melodic+control

I'm having trouble choosing the right kind of note or maybe I'm using the wrong time signature. I really don't know anything about time signatures so any helpful tips or rules would be nice.

What I mean is when I try changing it to a quarter note or whatever the bar turns red which means its incomplete or something like that, like i said, I'm next to clueless lol.

What would I do to fix it?
I'm Tyler
Last edited by Octtwe88 at Jun 18, 2008,
Can you clarify?

Are you having key or time signature troubles?
Well, if you've got the chords, all you need to do is put them over a 4/4 time signature; each chords lasts one measure.

Don't know what the red note means...I don't use guitar pro.
Well the bar just turns red meaning its wrong somehow.

Its in 4/4 right now. I'm trying to add in all the transitions but its telling me i'm wrong.
I'm Tyler
Quote by TheShred201
I think he may be having trouble with the little things marty throws in between the chords.

Yes exactly. Should i just leave them out?
I'm Tyler
Quote by TheShred201
Well, if you add in the little in between licks, you have to shorten certain notes to let them fit in.

Ok, I've kinda been trying to do that. What does 4/4 mean exactly?
I'm Tyler
Well, here's how I'd put it into the program (this me explaining rhythm after having listened to the passage once):

1-2-3-&-4-& 1-2-3-4-& repeat.*
Quote by Octtwe88
Ok, I've kinda been trying to do that. What does 4/4 mean exactly?

Eh...you may want to check out the Theory sticky.

But it's midnight and I have nothing to do.

Imagine that the top numeral means how many beats there are per measure, and the bottom numeral indicates the duration of said beats (in this case, it means a quarter). So 4/4 is four beats per measure, each beat being one quarter note in duration.

This is a very unacceptable definition, but it will suffice for your purposes.
Tons of help guys thanks a lot. Maybe one day I will join the 7 string legion...
I'm Tyler
Quote by Octtwe88
Tons of help guys thanks a lot. Maybe one day I will join the 7 string legion...

No way!

Join the Odd Time Signature *****s!
Quote by Magero
No offense intended.
But you really do need to have some basic knowledge of rhythmic notation before tabbing stuff in guitar pro/powertab....

Ill do whatever the hell I WANT!!

No I'm just kidding man but thats how I learn honestly. You know... the hard way lol
I'm Tyler
haha i learned everything i know about timing and theory from experimenting with guitar pro
5150 III 100W, Mesa 4x12 Cab, Framus Cobra Cab, M-Audio Profire 610, ISA One Pre, SC607-b, Equator D5's, Countryman Type 85 Di box, Radial JCR, Superior Drummer, SSD 4 Ex, TS9, NS-2 and the list goes on and on
Quote by Tig Bitties
haha i learned everything i know about timing and theory from experimenting with guitar pro

Well good, I'll follow this guys lead
I'm Tyler