Hey guitarist,

I've just finished covering Metallica's Battery. I've taken the 5 minute

song down to 3:49. I've only cut down on the verses. So all the solos

and breakdowns are still there!

This song features 8 guitars on 14 different overlaying tracks (4clean

electrics & 4disto electrics). It took me roughly 12hrs to learn, 4hrs

to recording, and 2hrs of mixxing. This is as close as I can get to the

original album sound with the equipment I have.

Please leave comments, critiques, and ratings!!

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Djevik/music/all/play333804

-Dj
All the guitars are me. Recorded at different times, and mixxed

together.
Amazing work on the solos. The main rhythm guitar part, sounds a bit weak to me. Is it double tracked and panned left/right? Doesn't sound like it to me.

I don't know what kind of software you're working with so that might be a bit hard, depending on what you have.

I wouldn't say the parts are played perfectly, but it's VERY well played.

All in all, great work!

Crit mine if you feel like it, https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=879432
The actual rhythm part is one guitar right down the center. There is a second one in there, but there is so much distortion being tossed around that you can't hear it.

At my current guitar skillz level, I think I bit off more then I could chew. Anyway, I'll have to redo this one in a year or so
Hey man, it sounds pretty good. Im listening as I crit. The clean intro was good, and when you come into the verses, you dont do the galloping on the open E right. It sounds ok, but just makes the timing seem a little off. Also, I dont really like your backing track, the drums are everywhere for most of it, and it sounds like it would get annoying to record over. I really like the solos, you did a good job on them. Like you said, you should re-record this in a years time. You'll be surprised at how much better it sounds. Keep up the good work.

Would you mind checking out my No Remorse cover?
http://ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=887667
Thanks man.
Thanks for the crit

Is the galloping alternate picking or just down strokes?
Pretty good, not exactly an easy song.

as stated you need work on the main riff.

Solos are good, tho I think the whole 6 guitars makes the recording sound lose.

Other than those its pretty!
What do you use to get your tone?

And how many rhythm guitars do you have playing during the main riff? (of battery)
For tonality... I have a GMX110 set to FX23. To give the sound a little reverb, but not too much. Sort'a like a "studio" sound.

I usually play a British amp style in hot mode out of a UK speaker layout. I usually just use one really nice guitar (SchecterC1Classic). To get the higher/lower tones, I just adjust the "LOW", "MID", and "HIGH" dials on my amp.

For battery, I had two guitars doing the main riff. I have a third one doing some simple fills. But I realize now that I had way to much distro in my recordings, and it ended up drowning out all the "smaller details" without supplying the fuller sound.

For the intro I had two clean electrics playing the main riff (left&right channel), and two electrics playing the "melody". Then I used three electrics to get the right sound for the "post intro" distro electric sound.

Here is a picture of the layout I have
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Djevik/pictures/personal/329457/
Last edited by Djevik at Jun 21, 2008,
Quote by thetoastinator
Hey man, it sounds pretty good. Im listening as I crit. The clean intro was good, and when you come into the verses, you dont do the galloping on the open E right. It sounds ok, but just makes the timing seem a little off. Also, I dont really like your backing track, the drums are everywhere for most of it, and it sounds like it would get annoying to record over. I really like the solos, you did a good job on them. Like you said, you should re-record this in a years time. You'll be surprised at how much better it sounds. Keep up the good work.

this pretty much touches on everything i thought when i listened. as far as the gallops go, i personally use DUD DUD. i really think this is the best method for gallops.

all in all, good job man. look forward to hearing more from you
Jackson DKMG Dinky, Ibanez RG 7321, Ibanez RG 350EX
Bugera 6262-212 (120 watt), Line 6 Spider lll (30 watt)

Pearl Forum Series Drums
Sabian B8 Cymbals (ride, hi-hats, 3x crash, splash)
Thanks Connah!

"DUD DUD", eh? The main riff kept throwing me off. I'd play just DUD DUD, and I'd find that I was a note behind. Then I'd play "D DUD DUD" and I'd be a note too many. So I basically just did whatever on the bass note and just focused on hitting the chords at the right time.
Awesome cover, i think ill also record this song, just waiting to have a wah wah, and maybe a new amp with a pedal where i can switch between clean sound/distorted
btw, i play the main riff in 'DUD DUD', an then comes one riff where i play 'D DUD DUD'.
Quote by Djevik
For tonality... I have a GMX110 set to FX23. To give the sound a little reverb, but not too much. Sort'a like a "studio" sound.

I usually play a British amp style in hot mode out of a UK speaker layout. I usually just use one really nice guitar (SchecterC1Classic). To get the higher/lower tones, I just adjust the "LOW", "MID", and "HIGH" dials on my amp.

For battery, I had two guitars doing the main riff. I have a third one doing some simple fills. But I realize now that I had way to much distro in my recordings, and it ended up drowning out all the "smaller details" without supplying the fuller sound.

For the intro I had two clean electrics playing the main riff (left&right channel), and two electrics playing the "melody". Then I used three electrics to get the right sound for the "post intro" distro electric sound.

Here is a picture of the layout I have
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Djevik/pictures/personal/329457/

Hmm. Play around with the Mic positions. You would be surprised how it would give different sounds.

Did you pan each of the 2 main riff guitars ya? and do you eq the guitars once they are layed down?
Mic positions? Seriously? Darn, I never thought of that..

The original album version has either one or two guitars playing right down the center. With a really acid like distortion. So I didn't pan my guitars, and that may have led to the weak sound.
Hey dude.

I think it's be better using some sort of direct input to get a better tone, I've always thought mics when used in amateur situations sound a bit weak. If you have gear which is the dogs bollocks then by all means mike it but for what you're doing maybe a good VST or multiFX for the guitar sound could help.

I did however think your clean tone was awesome, bright and clear.

As you've said yourself the main riff could use a bit of work.

Also about the panning. Metallica don't use everything down the center cos i've just checked it out by muting each channel and you can hear the differences. They may use the same recording on both sides with a slightly different EQ. This is why their sound is a lot wider/thicker than what you got.

If you've still got the project files i'd go back and have a go at remixing it that way.

The solos were great though and i enjoyed it.

Sorry if it was too critical but thats what i'm like, I nit pick. But it'll only help you to improve.

I'd appreciate it if you were just as critical of this for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncgleNIGq-Y

cheers dude
Private guitar lessons available in West London, UK with an experienced and qualified tutor. Most subjects/styles covered. PM me for more information.
Last edited by g1asseye at Jun 22, 2008,
Quote by Djevik
Mic positions? Seriously? Darn, I never thought of that..

The original album version has either one or two guitars playing right down the center. With a really acid like distortion. So I didn't pan my guitars, and that may have led to the weak sound.

Ya I know, you wouldnt think it!

Well what I would recommend it panning a guitar to each then have another guitar down the centre.
G1asseye:
I realize it would be better to have a direct line-in to record with, but I'm only useing audacity and nero wave editor, and it's on a SoundBlaster Audigy2 ZS card. I just don't have the money to buy a mixxing board and good software. So right now, I'm just stuck trying to pump out as much quality as I can sqeez out of this stuff.

I still have the project files, but I'd rather redo everything in a year. So I can better judge my advancements. Sort'a like the end solo. I had to improv half of the first half of it (but you can't tell because there are so many notes and wah stuff). :P

False God:
I'm sitting here thinking about it, and I'm wondering -- how far away is your mic? If it was close wouldn't you get alot more bass and loss of higher tonality? Plus if your too far away don't you lose the bass end?