I'm ready to start my first build and I wanted to get opinions on, well everything really.

Yesterday I drew up a draft which resembles what I want the final result to look like:

I won't be able to start this until November when I've finished study for the year but I'm preparing for it early so I can buy tools and have lots of time to find out everything I need to know.

This is what I've kind of made my mind up about:
- Pick-up that's good for cleans in neck (DiMarzio Evolution)
- Pick-up that's good for distortion in bridge
- I'm thinking string through body with tune-o-matic bridge
- 2 volume pots
- 1 tone pot
- set neck (25.5")

But I need more information on wood and the brand/model of pick-ups I should use and just opinions on everything really.

First decision made! I want this guitar to sound bright so maple is the wood of choice for the body I think... Western Maple.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/choosing-installing/how_to_pick_a_pickup.pdf
This article says that I should balance out the bright tone of the body with a warm pick up, well thats the general idea- alnico II pick ups seem to go with maple bodies. Has anyone tried out alnico V or ceramic pick ups with a body that has bright tone?
Last edited by EnyoAdonai at Jun 19, 2008,
what music do you play? do you prefer a brighter or warmer sound? do you mind a lot of weight?
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by InanezGuitars44
what music do you play? do you prefer a brighter or warmer sound? do you mind a lot of weight?

I like to play bluesy sort of stuff.

By weight do you mean the weight of the guitar? My current guitar is made of mahogany and I quite like the weight of that. The only problem I would have with weight is if the neck dived when I let it go.
Last edited by EnyoAdonai at Jun 18, 2008,
@ Invader Jim
Thanks for the link it's great to hear that compliment! I actually started thinking about the finish along time ago when I saw adam jones' silver burst les paul. Then the other day when I looked in the competitions link I saw the epiphone sunburst and tried it out on the tele body just yesterday.

I heard Dimazios are good all rounder pick-ups, is this true?
Quote by EnyoAdonai
I heard Dimazios are good all rounder pick-ups, is this true?

Yepp it's true. And Seymour Dunacn also makes good all rounder pick-ups.

Are you sure you want a H-H pick-up setup? Maybe a H-S? If I would have made that guitar I would choose a SD JB for bridge and a SD STR-1 for the neck. But if you really want a H-H setup go for the SD Jazz or the SD '59 as a neck pickup.

SD JB (for bridge) - http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/progressive/sh4_jb_model/

SD STR-1 (for neck) - http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/telecaster/vintage/vintage_rhythm/

SD Jazz (alt. for neck) - http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/progressive/sh2_jazz_model/
Empty tankard! Empty Tankard!
Mock-up looks good. Is there a reason you have the Humbuckers reversed? Also, you'll need to order the Esquire or blank pickguard to get the neck H in that distance from the neck ... same thing with the body route for the neck H.

BTW, prepare to pay dearly for a Warmoth body. They have awesome products but not so awesome prices. Check out USACG, Guitar Mill, Musikraft, AllParts, etc. Better Bang for the $$$, IMO.

Quote by oakn
Yepp it's true. And Seymour Dunacn also makes good all rounder pick-ups.

Are you sure you want a H-H pick-up setup? Maybe a H-S? If I would have made that guitar I would choose a SD JB for bridge and a SD STR-1 for the neck. But if you really want a H-H setup go for the SD Jazz or the SD '59 as a neck pickup.

I haven't thought about the pick up set up yet, It just depends on what pick-ups I choose at the moment. I think you're right about the H-S setup, it seems like it would be alot more versatile

Thanks alot for the advise oakn and thanks for the links too

Quote by Ippon
Mock-up looks good. Is there a reason you have the Humbuckers reversed? Also, you'll need to order the Esquire or blank pickguard to get the neck H in that distance from the neck ... same thing with the body route for the neck H.

BTW, prepare to pay dearly for a Warmoth body. They have awesome products but not so awesome prices. Check out USACG, Guitar Mill, Musikraft, AllParts, etc. Better Bang for the $$$, IMO.

Thanks! Nah there isn't a reason they're in backwards, I just drew it wrong.
I didn't actually know they had a direction they had to be in

Yeah money is an issue thanks for telling me all those places.

I was planning on buying the wood and doing all the work on it myself, does this seem like a bad idea for my first build?

Thanks all for the help!
Last edited by EnyoAdonai at Jun 18, 2008,
Quote by Invader Jim
As long as you're confident, then go for it!

Cheers

I am fairly confident because I don't mind how long it takes me, I just want it done right! And I find really good help on UG so the build should go well with no time constraints I think.